Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Scouting other teams

Featured Replies

What coach do you think does the best job of scouting their opponents? Does it help, does it hurt?? I have always thought this is an important part of game preparation, but some coaches focus more on what their team does rather than on the opponents. Any thoughts??

If you are serious about your coaching responsibilities then you must scout opposing teams. If you do not then you will simply not have your players properly prepared. I have heard this saying many times "If you fail to prepare, you are preparing to fail". Be smart and be prepared. As a coach, you owe it to your players.

If you are serious about your coaching responsibilities then you must scout opposing teams. If you do not then you will simply not have your players properly prepared. I have heard this saying many times "If you fail to prepare, you are preparing to fail". Be smart and be prepared. As a coach, you owe it to your players.

 

Agreed. I think is a major factor in the game of basketball. If you want to have a great season, and post-season, your coaches must Scout!

Preparing for tendencies and plays, will help not only the staff but players understand their assignments.

 

Scouting can be very informative.

I see many of the 16th region coaches regularly scouting. I believe that a lot of the 16th region coaches don't show a lot of new stuff late in the season due to the "eyes" in the stands. They don't want to give away any tricks to be used in the post season. By season's end, many 16th region coaches know the names and even hand-signals for many of their opponents offensive plays and set their defenses accordingly.

If you are serious about your coaching responsibilities then you must scout opposing teams. If you do not then you will simply not have your players properly prepared. I have heard this saying many times "If you fail to prepare, you are preparing to fail". Be smart and be prepared. As a coach, you owe it to your players.

 

:thumb: Well said. A good coach goes out and looks for every competitive edge possible and scouting your opponent is necessary in preparing a game plan and building a successful program. Those coaches that don't scout and don't do the little things and don't continually look to find ways to make their program successful are lazy and in coaching for the wrong reasons..

Glen Drury of Anderson. Scouts EVERYONE.

  • Author

I see Mark Wilhoit of Williamstown, Bob Osbourne of Owen, Randy Mefford of Carrol, and Holly Roberts of Gallatin scouting a lot in the NCKC.

I see many of the 16th region coaches regularly scouting.

 

If you notice the top teams seem to be scouting and that may be why they are at the top. There is so much more to coaching than just having practice, you have to be prepare for the other teams. I have noticed a lot of coaches at a lot of games, really think they schedule their games around top teams in their region so they can scout during certain games.

Very well said!! Coaches that want to be successful must scout as much as they possibly can!! Scouting is just one aspect of coaching. Coaches also talk with other coaches around their area to get whatever information they can on their opponents. Coaching on the high school level is not about the money obviously, it's about preparing student-athletes to be the best they can be!! To get the best and most out of your athletes, scouting is just one of the ways to help them be at their best!!! Great discussion!!!

I like it when teams run the same sets and a coach that has scouted calls out to his defense that the play is same as our "1".

How many coaches use BGP as a form as scouting? Or motivation for that matter???

 

More than you could ever imagine.

Coaches may tell you, "I don't look at that stuff." They aren't telling you the truth.

Why wouldn't they use BGP? It's a great way to motivate and there is tons of useful information on opponents on here.

More than you could ever imagine.

Coaches may tell you, "I don't look at that stuff." They aren't telling you the truth.

Why wouldn't they use BGP? It's a great way to motivate and there is tons of useful information on opponents on here.

 

I agree. It isn't hard to figure out who is who on here by their reactions to comments. And if I was coaching over here in NKY I would be all over this stuff. I am sure a lot of PM's are sent for scouting purposes! In Ohio it is Yappi Sports and it is the same way. People say they don't get on it, but they do.... And you are right, why wouldn't they?

 

So what percent of people on here are truly coaches? Just curious

How many coaches use BGP as a form as scouting? Or motivation for that matter???

 

I'm not sure how many coaches use it as a form of motivation but there are a great many who read it with their morning coffee and let it get the best of them. Some spend far to much time reading then they do preparing for their next opponent. If it gets to coaches that bad I suggest they find something else to do in the morning..Like work...:ylsuper::lol:

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.