Trying to get a Kentucky job

kebbb

I got an interview for the Rowan county job and was not one of the final three. Im orginally from Kentucky and would like to get back. I currently teach and coach(OC) at Palm Bay high in Florida. We have won to state championships since 2000 and never missed the playoffs. What does someone not from Kentucky need to do to get a job up there.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just my opinion, but I would try to get an assistant job in Kentucky first. I don't know if you have head coaching experience or not, or what your credentials are, but I would say that being here and showing that you want to remain in Kentucky would go a long way. Almost every year there are multiple head coaching jobs open, and many of those open up OC and DC jobs at schools. I would try to get one of those first.

What class is Palm Bay in? I know that alot of out of state coaches can get jobs, but sometimes its about impressions made, not whats on the resume. Face to Face interviews usually leave more of a lasting impression, and its easier to come across enthusiatic and portray your vision in person. There are still jobs open, and Garrard Co. just became open. Keep looking and good luck

I got an interview for the Rowan county job and was not one of the final three. Im orginally from Kentucky and would like to get back. I currently teach and coach(OC) at Palm Bay high in Florida. We have won to state championships since 2000 and never missed the playoffs. What does someone not from Kentucky need to do to get a job up there.

Know someone.

Just my opinion, but I would try to get an assistant job in Kentucky first. I don't know if you have head coaching experience or not, or what your credentials are, but I would say that being here and showing that you want to remain in Kentucky would go a long way. Almost every year there are multiple head coaching jobs open, and many of those open up OC and DC jobs at schools. I would try to get one of those first.

With all due respect, I would say that if this gentleman is a part of a program that has produced two state championships in the state of Florida, I would say that those credentials alone are enough to land a job here in our state. Not belittling our football and/or our programs at all. But knowing the right people is 75% of the battle anymore.

First I want to say welcome to BGP:thumb:

If you have a desire to coach in Ky. I would continue to apply for every job that came open whether it be as an assistant or a head coaches position. Sooner or later someone in the know may like what you have to offer and give you the chance to coach their program.

You may have to start at a school that is just beginning a program or one that is trying to right the ship. In either case you would have the opportunity to do what you enjoy. Best of luck to you and I hope you get that dream job.

Hey welcome to BGP.

Teach the subject that the school desparately needs a quality teacher in. That will help. In your interview focuses as much if not more about what you are bringing academically to the kids that you will be teaching and how you will be able to help raise the school's test scores up.

Bottom line: Principals, who are the ones doing the hiring, are fired for the school's test scores NOT how well the football team does. The school is in crisis educationally but the football team is winning games, the principal is going to be fired.

With all dew respect, I would say that if this gentlemen is apart of a program that has produced too state championships in the state of Flordia. I would say that those credentials alone are enough to land a job here in our state. Not belittling our football and/or our programs at all. But knowing the right people is 75% of the battle anymore.

Not trying to argue but most the people I know say the coaching in KY is head and shoulders above MOST states. Bob Sphire in GA, Jep Irwin in Alabama are prime examples.

Well what do you have a degree in? If your a PE/Health teacher it'll be very hard for work around here since most of those positions are already filled. Also I would apply for the JTown job now since Carmody left for Butler. Just keep applying for the jobs and hopefully somebody will like what you bring to the program.

Hey welcome to BGP.

Teach the subject that the school desperately needs a quality teacher in. That will help. In your interview focuses as much if not more about what you are bringing academically to the kids that you will be teaching and how you will be able to help raise the school's test scores up.

Bottom line: Principals, who are the ones doing the hiring, are fired for the school's test scores NOT how well the football team does. The school is in crisis educationally but the football team is winning games, the principal is going to be fired.

This is the truth! The coach at Frankfort is putting out feelers trying to go anywhere and can't even get a bite. He has been a decent coach over there with some great wins but evidently doesn't bring much to the table academically or professionally.

Not trying to argue but most the people I know say the coaching in KY is head and shoulders above MOST states. Bob sphire in GA, Jep Irwin in alabama are prime examples......

No offense to any KY coach or programs but the level of talent (overall) and competition in Florida is mindboggling. If you can compete and win at the state level there, your ready for 90% of the jobs in KY. Good luck in landing one.

I lived there 10 years and it was amazing the number of D-1 players just in the Orlando area. I once remembered Orlando Evans HS having every O lineman and 2 backups getting D-1 scholarships. Their size was bigger than the Washington Redskins (avg.320) that year and the highest recruit off of that team was Orlando Pace (Ohio St./St. Louis Rams). It's tough to compete with that.