Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Time for NKY to Become 51st State?

Featured Replies

Stayinline - You should really take a stronger stance on this! :cool:

 

I like the county consolidation idea. But I'm afraid there is far too much inertia built up in generations of local politics as usual and the belief that smaller is always better...which, of course, it isn't.

 

 

NKY is not where county consolidation is as needed. It is in the eastern part of KY and southern that it is needed. I agree though that KY has FAR too many counties and consoliodation is definitely needed.

NKY is not where county consolidation is as needed. It is in the eastern part of KY and southern that it is needed. I agree though that KY has FAR too many counties and consoliodation is definitely needed.

 

Topographically impossible.

Topographically impossible.

 

I'll trust someone from there. :thumb:

What's easy and what self interest?

 

And I think we fared a lot better under Fletcher. As good as we should? Nope. But to say its wasn't a lot better isn't being realistic. As for the derogatory comment about Katie, if you think you could do a better job.........!

 

When an area stays city based, neighborhood based in its administrations and operations therein is the self interests. Instead of a larger "good for the area" meaning a region it will remain for the town, city motives only. That is why the toll tax will not see the light of day.

 

I be willing to debate the merits of a lot better under Fletcher as well. One simple case in point, during his term in office tuition at Kentucky public universities have gone up over 60%. I consider this a displaced tax on the citizens of this state. His claimed "surplus" in the budget was short changed payments to pensions which all the cities up here are now having hard times with. I do wonder if the local governments be willing to give up the road projects STARTED by Fletcher and other programs STARTED by Flecther be willingly traded off for pension obligations back to what it was. Just one example.

 

As for Mrs. Stine. That could well be another post and may well be the case for another day.:thumb:

When an area stays city based, neighborhood based in its administrations and operations therein is the self interests. Instead of a larger "good for the area" meaning a region it will remain for the town, city motives only. That is why the toll tax will not see the light of day.

 

I be willing to debate the merits of a lot better under Fletcher as well. One simple case in point, during his term in office tuition at Kentucky public universities have gone up over 60%. I consider this a displaced tax on the citizens of this state. His claimed "surplus" in the budget was short changed payments to pensions which all the cities up here are now having hard times with. I do wonder if the local governments be willing to give up the road projects STARTED by Fletcher and other programs STARTED by Flecther be willingly traded off for pension obligations back to what it was. Just one example.

 

As for Mrs. Stine. That could well be another post and may well be the case for another day.:thumb:

 

As to your first paragraph, if such is true, could you explain the formation and success of Tried?

 

Talk to Votruba, Hughes and the 3 County J/E and ask them if they got more financial support from Frankfort while Fletcher was in office than Patton and get back with me.

LN, I think you're taking this thread a little too seriously.

As to your first paragraph, if such is true, could you explain the formation and success of Tried?

 

Talk to Votruba, Hughes and the 3 County J/E and ask them if they got more financial support from Frankfort while Fletcher was in office than Patton and get back with me.

 

 

Oh my.... well, if you really want me to I can. But I do need to remind you of just a few facts. Most noted, it was Gov. Patton who disolved the University of Kentucky community college system. He maintained and demonstrated the system was being shortchanged by UK. It was fought very hard by UK to the point the President did eventually leave. It was Patton who took one of the most established political entities on and the net result created, started and funded the system as we see it today. That was huge. Without that effort, I do not think Dr. Hughes would even have a job today.

 

And, to remind further of facts in history, it was the NorKY caucus who fought among themselves, led by one another GEX! that failed to form a consensus for NKU funding on many projects and again, Frankfort simply ignored the area.

 

While I am asking some of these educators, should I also include most of the school system superintendents how they feel about support from Fletcher during his term? Do I really need to do that? Should I include the mayors of our many towns? I have yet to hear from one who feels satisfied with their current pension and health care obligations, particular the pension.

 

Add all this together and to hear the NorKY Chamber spokesman Stan Lampe talk about how we need more revenue in the state (taxes?? and maybe gaming;) ) and I have to question where is this all going. The answer, the status quo just with more money. That is not good.

 

When I do ask the judges, please understand I will probably ask if they have maintained the percentages of taxes returned vs. sent to Frankfort under Flecther as compared to Patton. I think that is the true measurement. Net dollars in government consideration is never a good measure.

Actually, you are on to something but with different tack. Instead of a 51st state, a consolidation of counties into ONE, or the three upper counties grapping the counties south of it.

 

Hearing Gov. Beshear speak in person on the budget it is evident the status quo and how to manage it is at rock bottom. What are the huge cost savings moves. Number one on all studies, kill off some of the 120 counties in this state. As I told a few unhappy to hear it folks from Pendleton, a merger with Campbell would triple their wealth in a decade for a few major reasons: expansion of services, economies of scale and zoning.

 

Or for the independent streak for the area, become one with Boone/Kenton/Campbell. It would become one of the largest areas in the nation, one of the most productive and a major political machine. Align with Jefferson and Fayette, we can start the process to tell the rest of the deadbeat state to get off the porch and start making things happen.

 

If this offends some out of the golden triangle area, please note: it is meant to. We in NorKy and I bet Jefferson and Fayette feel the same, are tired of underwriting to the tune of billions, the lack of progress, productivity and action in the rest of the bluegrass.:ylsuper:

 

Amen

Culturally and politically NKY doesn't quite fit with the rest of the Commonwealth.

 

I believe Boone was/is the second largest donor county in the state.

Culturally and politically NKY doesn't quite fit with the rest of the Commonwealth.

 

I believe Boone was/is the second largest donor county in the state.

 

Louisville really does not either. How many times have we seen comments like "We should just give Louisville to Indiana" or "You mean it isn't Indiana?" Crap like that is very irritating sometimes.

 

Even more annoying is the fact that we can't get the money we put in to the state budget to get our bridges built and NOW we'll likely end up with 2 toll bridges. That'll really help traffic congestion. :irked:

Even more annoying is the fact that we can't get the money we put in to the state budget to get our bridges built and NOW we'll likely end up with 2 toll bridges. That'll really help traffic congestion. :irked:

 

It seems we may be getting an interstate toll bridge in NKY as well. I believe that stretch of interstate 75/71 over the Ohio River in Covington is among the busiest in the country.

Louisville really does not either. How many times have we seen comments like "We should just give Louisville to Indiana" or "You mean it isn't Indiana?" Crap like that is very irritating sometimes.

 

Even more annoying is the fact that we can't get the money we put in to the state budget to get our bridges built and NOW we'll likely end up with 2 toll bridges. That'll really help traffic congestion. :irked:

Secession now! :fight:

LN, I think you're taking this thread a little too seriously.

 

Why?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.