Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Greenup County Basketball

Featured Replies

After the year Greenup and Russell have had, it'd be nice if they drew one another so that one or the other could get a little reprieve!

  • Replies 49
  • Views 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still having a lot of trouble believing Leach left for personal reasons. He may have had/be having some personal issues, but the "big blowup" had a HUGE impact on his leaving. IMO Too much passion for the sport to just give it up half way through the season and stay on as a teacher, if it was all personal.

I'd say the backing, or lack of backing, by the Admin. played a big part in it.

A ONE QUARTER suspension for cursing out a coach is NOT much support. I'm not saying what Leach said/did is OK, but how can the Admin. justify such a insignificant suspension for this kind of situation? What is that telling the rest of the players about RESPECT for the coaching staff?

 

I think Smith and Sutton are doing a great job with taking over the team, twice in the last two years, and either one would be a great hire as the head coach.

 

Best of luck to Greenup County!

 

 

Sorry you can't believe it but he did speak with the admin at GC about leaving 3 weeks prior to the "blow up". Now as for the "cussing out a coach" comment, I have been told by those there, that after Leach told the player he was gone (thrown off the team) one word was murmred as he walked to the locker room.

 

As for the one quarter suspension, I believe this was Smith's call as he was there and set the punishment to fit the crime.

 

Now the passion for the sport comment is comical. A passionate coach works the side lines, gets excited on good or bad plays and I did not see that at all out of Leach. I truly believe other things are on his mind and these things moved to the fore front (as they should).

Heard a funny one the other day that reminded me of Greenup. A fellow was quoted in the paper that Jim Henson (founder of the muppets) must be coaching the team. He said even though you can't see him, he's making the mouths move.

 

Jim Henson would make a horrible head coach, but this guy knows a thing or two about leaping -- plus he already has the team's colors...

 

Before-You-Leap-Cover-web.jpg

Heard a funny one the other day that reminded me of Greenup. A fellow was quoted in the paper that Jim Henson (founder of the muppets) must be coaching the team. He said even though you can't see him, he's making the mouths move.

 

That's funny.

Sorry you can't believe it but he did speak with the admin at GC about leaving 3 weeks prior to the "blow up". Now as for the "cussing out a coach" comment, I have been told by those there, that after Leach told the player he was gone (thrown off the team) one word was murmred as he walked to the locker room.

 

As for the one quarter suspension, I believe this was Smith's call as he was there and set the punishment to fit the crime.

 

Now the passion for the sport comment is comical. A passionate coach works the side lines, gets excited on good or bad plays and I did not see that at all out of Leach. I truly believe other things are on his mind and these things moved to the fore front (as they should).

 

No need to be sorry, we're both entitled to our own opinion. I have ALSO been told by SEVERAL that were there that Leach's comment came AFTER several curse words from the player, plus a few more after Leach's comment.

 

As for the one quarter suspension, you may be right. If it was Smith's call, then he was there and is the NEW COACH, so that would be totally up to him.

 

Glad you thought the passion comment was comical, but maybe you didn't see the same coach I saw all season. VERY PASSIONATE about coaching, IMO.

He did get excited and tried to get his team excited as well. I too believe there may have been other things on his mind, but I think most of the lack of enthusium the last few games, was due to the teams lack of improvement and ability to run the style of basketball Leach was wanting.

 

Again, I wish Leach, Smith and Sutton the best.

I liked Leach, but I won't miss his defense or lack of.

Sorry you can't believe it but he did speak with the admin at GC about leaving 3 weeks prior to the "blow up". Now as for the "cussing out a coach" comment, I have been told by those there, that after Leach told the player he was gone (thrown off the team) one word was murmred as he walked to the locker room.

 

I am afraid from what I have heard and know that I would have to agree with duck07 as well. Sad situation in Greenup.

Bad luck, no way. I will say it is basically the admin. In my opinion, and this is strictly my opinion, here we go;

 

Hick's was run off by the admin

Hampton was hired outside of the correct procedure and when people got wind of this he took himself out

Leach was hired and took himself out due to some personal issues

Sutton never really had the job as it was on an interim basis

 

Again, my opinion doesn't mean much but I think if Hicks were there today GC would have a much, much better record.

 

Hampton was hired out of the same interview as Leach, nothing incorrect about it. He asked for 100% support from the hiring committee if he was selected to be coach. Some on the committee began complaining less than 24 hrs after he accepted, he held true to his word, and declined the position before officially resigning at Lewis. Smart move IMO.

But did the committee chose Hampton or was Hampton chosen by the Principal???

 

Could this be why certain voices were raised?

 

To borrow some words from the wise old bard himself, "something was rotten in" GC.

Since when is it not ok for a coach to be chosen by the Principal, according to KERA they are in charge of hiring at their school, correct? I'm sure I'm missing part of the story....the only position in a school that is hired by a committee is the Principal's job itself, which is done by site base council.

Is Greenup going to pursue a coach or stick with Smith? There are some current successful head coaches with Greenup ties.

But did the committee chose Hampton or was Hampton chosen by the Principal???

 

Could this be why certain voices were raised?

 

To borrow some words from the wise old bard himself, "something was rotten in" GC.

 

Cannot answer that. I do know Hampton was the 1st choice after all interviews were conducted. If some on the committee wanted Leach, looks like they got what they asked for.

With the good job Coach Sutton did last year why would they consider anybody on the staff but Nathan, that school makes absolutely no sense to me, they consistently get beat by small schools and have losing seasons in football so they keep the football coach. Coach Hicks wins but, is emotional but no more than than Coach Smith if you have seen him on the sidelines. They run TJ off who was the best thing to happen to their football program since Coach Trent which Raceland really owes you alot. I think he has found a home where he is loved and respected by the kids and parents. My main question is why give up a coach(Sutton)in the hand for one in the bush(Smith)

Since when is it not ok for a coach to be chosen by the Principal, according to KERA they are in charge of hiring at their school, correct? I'm sure I'm missing part of the story....the only position in a school that is hired by a committee is the Principal's job itself, which is done by site base council.

You are absolutely correct, the principle is the person that ultimately has the last say so on anyone who hired at his/her school. The only position that is filled by committee is the principal, which is hired by the SBDC. However, the principle does have to bring at least one application in the SBDC meeting and tell the council that he is going to fill the position. Now, a principal is perfectly with in his right to bring all the applications to the council and ask for their input on filling the position.

 

I do not know if this is what happened or not. But, the principal can hire who he/she wants.

With the good job Coach Sutton did last year why would they consider anybody on the staff but Nathan, that school makes absolutely no sense to me, they consistently get beat by small schools and have losing seasons in football so they keep the football coach. Coach Hicks wins but, is emotional but no more than than Coach Smith if you have seen him on the sidelines. They run TJ off who was the best thing to happen to their football program since Coach Trent which Raceland really owes you alot. I think he has found a home where he is loved and respected by the kids and parents. My main question is why give up a coach(Sutton)in the hand for one in the bush(Smith)

Your absolutely correct about TJ Maynard. Raceland definitely benefited from him leaving Greenup Co. I would not want TJ to be anywhere else. He is loved by the parents, players, students, and administration. I hope he stays at Raceland for a long time. Before it is over, I think he will be remembered as one of the best coaches to come from this area.

The principle told Coach Hampton he had the job before the committee ever met. The superintendent told the principle he couldn't hire him like that and it was off. As for Coach Sutton why would you try for a job that your principle has told you was already filled. Things will never change untill they start at the very top and clean house. Maybe then they can start from scratch.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.