January 26, 200818 yr Gonzo can get to balls that Keppy couldn't even dream bout getting. I'll give him a break since the other Reds SS in recent memory wouldn't have thought about touching most of those balls. Sorry....but the numbers disagree with you. Keppinger's numbers at SS last year were either comparable or better to Gonzalez's for his career. That was Keppinger's first year at SS in ~7 years, mind you. 2007 Keppinger F% - .989 RF - 4.28 ZR - .842 Career Gonzalez F% - .969 RF - 4.49 ZR - .843 Its hard to give Gonzalez a mulligan for last year. You CANNOT have a good year offensively and a poor one defensively and claim you had a poor defensive year because of his child. It is/was a terrible situation, but if you can hit the ball, you can field the ball. :banana: :ylsuper:
January 26, 200818 yr Sorry....but the numbers disagree with you. Keppinger's numbers at SS last year were either comparable or better to Gonzalez's for his career. That was Keppinger's first year at SS in ~7 years, mind you. 2007 Keppinger F% - .989 RF - 4.28 ZR - .842 Career Gonzalez F% - .969 RF - 4.49 ZR - .843 Its hard to give Gonzalez a mulligan for last year. You CANNOT have a good year offensively and a poor one defensively and claim you had a poor defensive year because of his child. It is/was a terrible situation, but if you can hit the ball, you can field the ball. :banana: :ylsuper: I never used the argument about his son, although that was probably a lot of it. I dont know what RF or ZR stand for, but like many other Stats in baseball, they are probably very misleading. Once again you are baseing this off a two month time period for Keppinger. That may very well be the best two months of his life. I know that I had never heard of him before then.
January 26, 200818 yr RF- Range Factor ((PO + A) divided by innings) ZR- Zone rating. The percentage of balls fielded by a player in his typical defensive "zone," as measured by STATS, Inc. So Keppy is not as far off defensivly as people make him out to be. Especially after not playing SS for 7 years.
January 26, 200818 yr RF- Range Factor ((PO + A) divided by innings) ZR- Zone rating. The percentage of balls fielded by a player in his typical defensive "zone," as measured by STATS, Inc. So Keppy is not as far off defensivly as people make him out to be. Especially after not playing SS for 7 years. See those stats are overrated just like many others in baseball. That range factor formula has nothing to do with a players range....all those balls could be hit right at the player. Keppy is a solid defensive player, i'll give him that. Its just that he doesn't have any type of range to play SS.
January 27, 200818 yr I don't understand why some of you think Keppinger should be the SS. Granted he has a nice bat, but his fielding has always been suspect. If so many of you want him in the everyday lineup, why not put him at third. He couldn't do any worse than E5 does and I think his bat is much better.
January 27, 200818 yr CF Freel/Hopper 1B Hatteburg RF Griffey 2B Phillips LF Dunn 3B E SS Gonzo C Ross 3rd place at best. Griffey will not play half the season this year. Can't they do better than Ross at C? Hatteburg in the 2 slot will log jam the bases, but I don't see Jr or Dunn running up his back. Slow and slower! Everyone was waitng to see the big moves this org was going to make in the winter. Besides the closer, what have they actually done?? Affelt? (sp) I thought he was the center for the Zags. Will we ever have a winner in Cincy. Not this year!! Hopefully WayneO is gone by opening day.
January 28, 200818 yr ^ Wow crunch, did you have something nasty in your Wheaties this morning? No, but looking at that lineup has the same effect. Nothing new for me concerning the Reds.
January 28, 200818 yr 3rd place at best. Griffey will not play half the season this year. Can't they do better than Ross at C? Hatteburg in the 2 slot will log jam the bases, but I don't see Jr or Dunn running up his back. Slow and slower! Everyone was waitng to see the big moves this org was going to make in the winter. Besides the closer, what have they actually done?? Affelt? (sp) I thought he was the center for the Zags. Will we ever have a winner in Cincy. Not this year!! Hopefully WayneO is gone by opening day. While I agree that someone other than Hatty should hit second. Ross is not a horrible hitter, just doesn't see that many good pitches and he is great defensivly. The 8th inning killed them last year and that should be fixed. If the bullpen would have only blown a 1/3 less saves they would have been right there.
January 28, 200818 yr I think we can hope that our bullpen is improved enough to get 1/3 or 2/3 of those blown games back on the winning side of the ledger!
January 28, 200818 yr I think the Reds best offensive lineup based on last season alone would be: CF Freel SS Keppinger RF Jr 2B Phillips LF Dunn 3B E 1B Votto C Ross P Harang Just don't think that is going to be the lineup on Opening Day.
January 28, 200818 yr I think the Reds best offensive lineup based on last season alone would be: CF Freel SS Keppinger RF Jr 2B Phillips LF Dunn 3B E 1B Votto C Ross P Harang Just don't think that is going to be the lineup on Opening Day. Can they contend with that lineup. Top 3 are huge ?s
January 28, 200818 yr Can they contend with that lineup. Top 3 are huge ?s I think they can. And it is not like you don't have other options if they struggle. I think Keppinger gives them a little bit more speed on the bases at #2 than Hatteburger and Gonzo. He could score from 1st on a double by Jr. Not sure Hatteburg can. Remember we are talking about contending in the NL Central, not any of the other divisions. NL West, NL East, AL West, AL Central, AL East, they ain't contending no matter who is in the lineup. The key on contending is not the lineup. It is the #3, 4 and 5 starters and the bullpen.
January 28, 200818 yr I think they can. And it is not like you don't have other options if they struggle. I think Keppinger gives them a little bit more speed on the bases at #2 than Hatteburger and Gonzo. He could score from 1st on a double by Jr. Not sure Hatteburg can. Remember we are talking about contending in the NL Central, not any of the other divisions. NL West, NL East, AL West, AL Central, AL East, they ain't contending no matter who is in the lineup. The key on contending is not the lineup. It is the #3, 4 and 5 starters and the bullpen. Definetley agree about the pitching. Here's the issue with the top 3. Remember you state there may not be any other options. Freel can't play every day so you have to platoon with Hopper. Thats OK until Freel goes down. I like Kepp and if he builds on last year then he's fine. No way Jr plays half the season this year. Plus can the center fielder cover for both Dunn and Jr? Only if he's a young Willie Mays. I may be wrong but I just don't think this lineup is functional. Guess we'll find out in a couple of months.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.