Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Why Have Abortion Rates Fallen?

Featured Replies

Kinda the same result as the drug campaign by the same name. :creepy:

 

Yes, that had crossed my mind.

There is also a trend toward celibacy.

 

No offense, but where is this trend happening? I wish it was true, but havent seen it.

 

Personally, I think the decrease is due to an increase in sex education in our schools and the high availability of birth control.

No offense, but where is this trend happening? I wish it was true, but havent seen it.

 

Personally, I think the decrease is due to an increase in sex education in our schools and the high availability of birth control.

 

 

Well, now you put me on the spot! :lol: I've read several reports indicating this. Let me see if I can remember where, and dig them up for you. I should have been more prepared! :sssh: (Pun intended :D)

I listened to a couple of teens talking the other day in Barnes and Nobel....One girl was saying that a lot of her friends are not having sex due to AIDS. Could the possiblility of losing your life for sex be a possibility? Thus, more educated?

There is also a trend toward celibacy.

 

I'll buy this, but it's not the biggest reason for the overall drop.

 

I listened to a couple of teens talking the other day in Barnes and Nobel....One girl was saying that a lot of her friends are not having sex due to AIDS. Could the possiblility of losing your life for sex be a possibility? Thus, more educated?

 

Maybe, but I recall the AIDS scare being a lot more prominent in the late '80s to mid-'90s. Not so much after that. Maybe I'm just remembering it wrong.

 

No offense, but where is this trend happening? I wish it was true, but havent seen it.

 

This really begs a serious question: How do you know, without being in people's bedrooms????

 

Personally, I think the decrease is due to an increase in sex education in our schools and the high availability of birth control.

 

Again, with the Bush trend toward abstinence-only sex education, I wonder if the schools aren't going against the President's wishes? The way I understand it, most schools aren't teaching anything in the way of sex-ed, other than "DON'T!"

No, Jim, I think you are correct on that....however, I thought it was interresting that the two teens would be talking about this in public....where anyone could hear. That is what I was wondering....maybe people are a lot more educated on this, or, if it is not having any impact really and they were just talking?

Also, because teens being able to have a baby and not, for the most part, having no support, having to hide it from parents, and it being more acceptable, as well as the trend for teen dads to stand up and help out....again, for the most part, is not working toward the drop. These are just food for thought. Also, now when a teen has a baby, she does not "have" to drop out of school and go "visit" an aunt for nine months, might be adding towards the drop. It is really hard to tell....I would like to know, stats wise, if the drop is coming from the teen population, or, the "older" population. That would, maybe, answer some of the questions as to "why" the drop.

No, Jim, I think you are correct on that....however, I thought it was interresting that the two teens would be talking about this in public....where anyone could hear. That is what I was wondering....maybe people are a lot more educated on this, or, if it is not having any impact really and they were just talking?

Also, because teens being able to have a baby and not, for the most part, having no support, having to hide it from parents, and it being more acceptable, as well as the trend for teen dads to stand up and help out....again, for the most part, is not working toward the drop. These are just food for thought. Also, now when a teen has a baby, she does not "have" to drop out of school and go "visit" an aunt for nine months, might be adding towards the drop. It is really hard to tell....I would like to know, stats wise, if the drop is coming from the teen population, or, the "older" population. That would, maybe, answer some of the questions as to "why" the drop.

 

I see what you are saying, and, after looking at it a bit more, my response to you might have come in haste. If there are teen kids being discouraged from pre-marital sex because of the threat of AIDS, that's not necessarily a bad thing. Used to be the only consideration/hindrance to girls saying no was the spectre of pregnancy. For them to consider another hindrance such as AIDS or any other less-powerful STD, given all the outside influences saying yes to sex, is not a bad thing.

 

Regardless, I hope the drop is because of teens.

RU486 is given out by a growing number of doctors and this is not counted in the abortion statistics...

Here's where we agree: abstinence is the only 100% guarantee to prevent pregnancy.

 

Here's where we probably disagree: Programs that ONLY promote abstinency and that do not review safe, effective means of contraception are NOT effective. "Just say no" in and of itself borders on being worthless.

 

IMHO.

 

So, the only program that GUARANTEES not getting pregnant is worthless?

 

Maybe the program is not the problem in this country, rather the idea that sex is harmless, fun, and if you are an adult there is no problem with you being actively engaged in it with whomever you want and ineffective means of contraception is the answer.

 

 

Maybe, but I recall the AIDS scare being a lot more prominent in the late '80s to mid-'90s. Not so much after that. Maybe I'm just remembering it wrong.

 

 

 

!"

 

I am not sure I agree with this. I was in the 80's in college and can tell you that with my crowd, AIDS was something homosexuals and drug users got, not us.

 

Now I know that was the wrong and very dangerous mindset to have in those days.

 

Kids today know they can get AIDS, and with the sexual lines of male-female relationships being blurred, as easy as anyone else. In my day, the thought of having sexual relations (in by best Bill Clinton voice) with a girl that had been with a homosexual guy, wasn't truly realistic.

 

With the mindset of youth today that there is no sexual relationship lines because they crossover all the time, that becomes a very real possibility.

I'm sorry, that was callous, unfeeling an un-called for. I'm having a bad day, and I vented. Apologies here to anyone offended.

 

No apology needed as far as I am concerned. Sounds like a "good day" to me anyway, the truth is the truth.

So, the only program that GUARANTEES not getting pregnant is worthless?

 

Maybe the program is not the problem in this country, rather the idea that sex is harmless, fun, and if you are an adult there is no problem with you being actively engaged in it with whomever you want and ineffective means of contraception is the answer.

 

 

Abstinence is not a program; it is a choice. A choice that, sadly, many will not choose to make. For those, something beyond "just say no" is vital.

RU486 is given out by a growing number of doctors and this is not counted in the abortion statistics...

 

You may have a point, I don't know how many Doctors are offering this option. I also can't stand the thought of a "Murder Pill"............that may sound strong but that imo is exactly what it is and what the ones that take it want to accomplish.

All of this idea goes back to the "do what you want, say that your sorry and all will be o.k., no penalties" theory :rolleyes:. I call it "Clintonism". I know that others strongly disagree and I am fine with that.

I am not trying to start anything here. I am very rarely on this forum and I post on it even less than I am visiting. I Just wanted to state my feelings on this.

 

I want to think that maybe.....just maybe that some are deciding against what I amoung many others call "Legalized Murder" (I know that sounds strong as well but...Oh Well). I am not politically correct, never have been and never will be and I am proud of that fact.

Should others want to jump on me that is fine, I respect that - I may or may not check this one very much or respond, just wanted to give my opinion on it.

 

IMO what it all boils down to is that this country is "Morally Bankrupt" and there are a number of "loudmouths" like 99.9% of Hollywood, Rock and Rap - hip hop music that feel they want to all of a sudden be ..................well, I had really better stop right here due to my respect for BGP rules.

Carry On, I am off of my soapbox now. :thumb:

I wish that kids DID worry more about aids, not to mention herpes, hepatitis B and C, and the other multitude of veneral diseases. I believe, like most young folk, they think those things will never happen to them and they will live forever.

 

A frightening time to be a parent........or maybe it always has been frightening to be a parent and I am just finding this out!;)

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.