Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Holy Cross 61 Ryle 52

Featured Replies

Ryle's basketball program is in good hands with Alan Mullins.

 

I agree:thumb: Coach Mullins is a class individual, and is a good young coach.

Absolutely agree. And from what little I know about Coach Mullins, he seems like a class individual and good coach.

 

 

 

Unacceptable behavior on the part of a few kids does not define the character of a team or program as a whole. You'd be hard-pressed to name any large-sized school whose sports teams don't have a few problems. This even includes CC. Yes, even CC has a few kids that occasionally nudge up to and cross lines of acceptable behavior, yet I hardly think this should (or does) reflect negatively on their program as a whole. Ryle runs a good sports program, and this includes their football team. Is it perfect? Not hardly. But name one that is (you can't).

 

I tend to disagree as it only takes a few bad apples to ruin an orchard. This is why schools/coaches try to eliminate this behavior before it happens by making it intolerable. Its all perception. We know that not every kid at Ryle is bad and these kids may not be bad kids either but it gives the school as a whole a bad name when it happens and the administration doesnt appreciate it much I am sure. I mean look at the perception all of us are getting just from reading the article in the paper and reading BGP. We werent even there and we are already somewhat biased to the situation and how it could have been handled better. I would just chalk it up as a learning experience and move on. Mullins taking part of the blame was admirable as well.

  • Author
I like the information. Obviously it is a judgement call by the official on whether the kid intentionally slapped the backboard. It could not have been because the ball did not go in because the ball did go in. Most of the time, there is no call or a goal tend call.

 

It cannot be a goal tend call unless the ball is actually touched. It can be basket interference if the rim is touched while the ball is in or above the cylinder.

 

The only call otherwise COULD be a technical.

 

 

Now, a player who was issued two technicals and is ejected from game must sit out the next game-in this case a district game vs. St. Henry. Anyone know if a slap the backboard T would be considered differently than technicals for unsportsmanlike conduct-like slamming ball down or pushing another player? This might allow the player to play the next game?? I doubt it, but was just wondering.

 

I don't believe the KHSAA cares about HOW the Ts were arrived at. An ejection is an ejection.

First, it was not a cheap shot at Ryle as a whole. My point is 100% valid about Ryle having a "history" in football of kids and coaches nudging up to and sometimes across the line of acceptable behavior on the playing field.

 

I'm not sure whether I should be offended or not, but, perhaps you could be more specific. I must admit I'm a bit confused.

This is not just a basketball problem at Ryle.

 

What are you trying to imply here? Like Habib said, I too would appreciate you to elaborate here.

I was at the game and thought the two of the three T fouls were uncalled for. The first was for slapping the backboard while trying to block a shot and the second for forcibly slamming the ball after the first technical foul was called. This was done out of frustration and was projected towards his disappointment in himself not the call. I think Ryle is judged harder by officials because of their history. .
Their perceived toughness has a price and unfortunately tough calls are one byproduct that they must live with or change the preception of th

e officals as a group. You can't have it both ways

 

I disagree with most of your points, first the initial T on Maley for slapping the backboard was a judgement T, but came after Maley had jumped up and basically done a chin-up on the rim earlier in the game for no apparant reason. The officials chose not to T him then, instead just talking with him. In other words, he'd certainly been warned.

 

Secondly, how do you know why he slammed the ball? Fact is he slammed it, and that's going to be a T most of the time.

 

And finally, I'm not sure where you get the bold part. Tough kids don't get T's, they keep their composure.

I'm not sure what this comment is all about and I totally disagree with this cheap shot at Ryle. Ryle has had a LOT of sports success in baseball, soccer, football, softball, golf and wrestling, especially over the past few years - probably more combined success in various sports than any other NKY school during that time period. Teams that do not perform under pressure do not advance to appearances in state tournaments. How about Ryle's clutch comeback win vs. CovCath in baseball in 2007 erasing a 3-run lead in the bottom of the last inning with the region title on the line. A lot of these guys were multi-sport athletes who represent the character that a lot of the Ryle students have. Ryle's basketball program is in good hands with Alan Mullins.

 

It's great to support your school, but are you sure about the last part?

 

Ryle hasn't won much since he's taken over. They have had guys who would be sure starters quit or choose not to play, and the ones that do decide to play get three technicals in a four quarter game. :madman:

 

Not exactly a ringing endorsement that all is going in the right direction.

Their perceived toughness has a price and unfortunately tough calls are one byproduct that they must live with or change the preception of th

e officals as a group. You can't have it both ways

 

I disagree with most of your points, first the initial T on Maley for slapping the backboard was a judgement T, but came after Maley had jumped up and basically done a chin-up on the rim earlier in the game for no apparant reason. The officials chose not to T him then, instead just talking with him. In other words, he'd certainly been warned.

 

Secondly, how do you know why he slammed the ball? Fact is he slammed it, and that's going to be a T most of the time.

 

And finally, I'm not sure where you get the bold part. Tough kids don't get T's, they keep their composure.

 

Excellent points Sandman, and yes, Maley had been warned by the refs after the hanging on the rim incident. Also, Maley was the "speaking captain" for the game. As captain for a particular game your behaviour should be above reproach.

Alan Mullins is good coach and will do good things at Ryle, if he's givin time.

 

But its not his fault that this program has issues. Every year we hear a new story. Ryle has become the Holmes of US42. Good talent, Bad attitudes. Not just from the kids, but the parents. From kids whining and quiting to parents complaints and crying for a coach to be fired. The parents finally pushed enough buttons to run Coach Neimi out. He tried to his best to keep Parents and Players in check, and did a pretty good job at it.

 

Ryle has horrible reputation in the 9th Region because of the attitude there. The attitude that the parents lead. The attitude which the players and kids show on the floor. Which I'm guessing comes straight from home. "Everyone" owes them something. I speak to many people who say, why isn't Ryle good? The only explanation is because they beat themselves. At times they can be really good.

 

But as it always goes, just read the Ryle supporters comments in this thread. "They do nothing wrong."

 

Blame the refs. Blame the other team. Blame the coaches. Blame the AD. Blame anyone and everyone.

 

Whatever you do though, do not take responsibility for your own actions.

[/b]

 

It's great to support your school, but are you sure about the last part?

 

Ryle hasn't won much since he's taken over. They have had guys who would be sure starters quit or choose not to play, and the ones that do decide to play get three technicals in a four quarter game. :madman:

 

Not exactly a ringing endorsement that all is going in the right direction.

 

As a Ryle supporter, I don't know if Mullins is the right choice for Ryle right now. Remember, he was a part of that program as a Freshmen coach that won the region championship. There are only 2 players left from that team that play Varsity as Juniors, Andy Ahern and Steve Helmer. What does it say if you can't keep players on the team that won the Freshmen Championship?

And the girls softball team looks like the Russian National Hockey team from all those bench clearing braws....I tell ya, missing teeth, scars accross their faces......those bad nasty Ryle Kids. I am scared to death every time I go out to Ryle.

Alan Mullins is good coach and will do good things at Ryle, if he's givin time.

 

But its not his fault that this program has issues. Every year we hear a new story. Ryle has become the Holmes of US42. Good talent, Bad attitudes. Not just from the kids, but the parents. From kids whining and quiting to parents complaints and crying for a coach to be fired. The parents finally pushed enough buttons to run Coach Neimi out. He tried to his best to keep Parents and Players in check, and did a pretty good job at it.

 

Ryle has horrible reputation in the 9th Region because of the attitude there. The attitude that the parents lead. The attitude which the players and kids show on the floor. Which I'm guessing comes straight from home. "Everyone" owes them something. I speak to many people who say, why isn't Ryle good? The only explanation is because they beat themselves. At times they can be really good.

 

But as it always goes, just read the Ryle supporters comments in this thread. "They do nothing wrong."

 

Blame the refs. Blame the other team. Blame the coaches. Blame the AD. Blame anyone and everyone.

 

Whatever you do though, do not take responsibility for your own actions.

 

I am impressed that you managed to offend not only the Ryle sports programs, players, parents, and school in general, but also another school (Holmes) in your response. I sure wish I was part of the perfect, problem-free school with whom you must be associated - whichever school that is.

 

Ryle has over 1700 students. This may shock you, but not every one of them is a Rhodes scholar, standup individual. There are some punks at Ryle. There are some problem children. But, as a whole, Ryle is an outstanding school filled with fine young men and women, teachers, and coaches. Since my children are part of this school and participate in their sports program, I feel qualified to make this statement. Of course, I guess so do people that "hear stories" about the horrible issues within Ryle and its evil parents and players.

 

Ryle's parents are no different than any others. I have seen many a thread in which Ryle parents (including myself) acknowledged their problems, poor behavior, and poor play. I have also seen many a thread in which Ryle supporters talk up and support their school and programs. These people, much like myself, are probably quite proud of their school and it's many accomplishments and have every right to be. No different than parents from any other school. Do they maybe on occasion oversupport and defend their school? Sure. Name me a school whose parents don't. Other than yours, of course.

 

I'm not sure how you feel justified in making a statement that Ryle's player's attitudes - which you and apparently "many people" perceive to be so bad -must emanate from their homes, but since you don't know me or my children and have never been inside my house (and I'm guessing this is true for 99.9% of Ryle's families), I think that's a bit over the top and unfair. On my part, I promise that if I ever see a player from your school (whichever wonderful school that is) misbehave or show poor sportsmanship, I won't demean your entire school population, parents, or the manner in which you raise your children. Since I don't know you, I owe you that.

I am impressed that you managed to offend not only the Ryle sports programs, players, parents, and school in general, but also another school (Holmes) in your response. I sure wish I was part of the perfect, problem-free school with whom you must be associated - whichever school that is.

 

Ryle has over 1700 students. This may shock you, but not every one of them is a Rhodes scholar, standup individual. There are some punks at Ryle. There are some problem children. But, as a whole, Ryle is an outstanding school filled with fine young men and women, teachers, and coaches. Since my children are part of this school and participate in their sports program, I feel qualified to make this statement. Of course, I guess so do people that "hear stories" about the horrible issues within Ryle and its evil parents and players.

 

Ryle's parents are no different than any others. I have seen many a thread in which Ryle parents (including myself) acknowledged their problems, poor behavior, and poor play. I have also seen many a thread in which Ryle supporters talk up and support their school and programs. These people, much like myself, are probably quite proud of their school and it's many accomplishments and have every right to be. No different than parents from any other school. Do they maybe on occasion oversupport and defend their school? Sure. Name me a school whose parents don't. Other than yours, of course.

 

I'm not sure how you feel justified in making a statement that Ryle's player's attitudes - which you and apparently "many people" perceive to be so bad -must emanate from their homes, but since you don't know me or my children and have never been inside my house (and I'm guessing this is true for 99.9% of Ryle's families), I think that's a bit over the top and unfair. On my part, I promise that if I ever see a player from your school (whichever wonderful school that is) misbehave or show poor sportsmanship, I won't demean your entire school population, parents, or the manner in which you raise your children. Since I don't know you, I owe you that.

 

:thumb:

Maley is going for the Ryle team record for Technical Fouls. He has been a spoiled,pampered player for his entire Ryle career.You can count on him to retaliate if he is fouled, even by accident.I still have not heard that he has appologized to the team.All of his previous coaches at Ryle have been aware of this.As he is a senior I suppose they feel his play justifies his faults.

We've crossed the lines in this thread.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.