December 19, 200718 yr Since when did Billy Reed write for the Onion? Billy has fallen on hard times, lost his job at the major newspaper outlets and a plum job at SI. With that he is entitled to his own opinion. There are a few things that I can pick apart in this. Van Florence. Van has been right in the middle of UK athletics for 31 years. that is true. What is not really known as that Van was removed from fundraising activities by the Barnhart. He no longer holds that position. Wonder why? Van was sticking his hand in the kitty so to speak. What is funny is that he is calling Bob Knight, who last I saw was Mr. Congeniality. Knight has always been critical of "everything" surrounding Kentucky Basketball. Hall and Sutton were usually at the end of his barbs. So much so he slapped ol Joe B. in the noggin. As for the rumors, I was told this week that there are a handful of boosters that have been spreading things out there that are not true, including a state trooper pulling BCG over. This is a group who wanted John Pelphrey in after Donovan spurned them. Why should Barnhart react to rumors? It would only give credence to them. Coaching experience. How many head coaching years of experience did Coach K have? John Pelphrey? Bobby Knight? That is out the window...if you ask me. Billy Reed is entitled to his opinion, but I disagree with much of what he has said. Great Post!! It's only been 9 games with a Tubby recruited team. All this is just people who ranting who didn't want BCG. Now they're saying " I told you so ", which is a bunch of crap. Wait until BCG recruits a team of his own, we'll be cutting down nets!!
December 19, 200718 yr What if he really is a disaster? How long would he be given...and what is the criteria that would dictate his career?
December 19, 200718 yr What if he really is a disaster? How long would he be given...and what is the criteria that would dictate his career? I think he gets 3 years to get it going. Maybe only two if he misses the NCAA both years.
December 19, 200718 yr You can't make a judgement on Billy G until the injuries heal and you get to see what he can do with a full UK roster.
December 19, 200718 yr I like this comment that was added by a reader on that article: This article does a better job summing up Mr. Reed’s career than it does Billy Gillispie’s. This article is a poor effort and while you did your job in getting a few more readers, you’ve shown me that your “writing” is garbage. You obviously know nothing about basketball.
December 19, 200718 yr I like this comment that was added by a reader on that article: This article does a better job summing up Mr. Reed’s career than it does Billy Gillispie’s. This article is a poor effort and while you did your job in getting a few more readers, you’ve shown me that your “writing” is garbage. You obviously know nothing about basketball. :thumb:
December 19, 200718 yr I think he gets 3 years to get it going. Maybe only two if he misses the NCAA both years. Maybe only one if all of the off the court/practice floor rumors are true. I don't pay much if any attention to rumors though and I certainly do not pay ANY attention to Billy Reed. he is all about "stirring people up" and has always had an ax to grind with U.K. for the most part and everyone knows it. Reed is popular with some in Louisville and imo that's about it.. IMO Reed is just another arrogant writer that thinks he is above anything and everything. As for your title 02, imo it should read "Billy Reed is a Disaster" or "Billy Reed is a Bitter Old Man"
December 19, 200718 yr I like this comment that was added by a reader on that article: This article does a better job summing up Mr. Reed’s career than it does Billy Gillispie’s. This article is a poor effort and while you did your job in getting a few more readers, you’ve shown me that your “writing” is garbage. You obviously know nothing about basketball. Good Post Wireman.
December 19, 200718 yr Maybe only one if all of the off the court/practice floor rumors are true. I don't think that's likely, but if he is gone after this year it wont' be related to basketball, IMO.
December 19, 200718 yr Rumors and off court issues aside, I have trouble believing Billie Clyde knows how to coach. If these first 9 games are any indication, I'm really worried. Basically, what's hapened at UK is we've traded a guy that was weak with recruiting (but sure could coach) to a guy that can recruit (but, well, isn't looking real sensible). What will we get from that? The same results, as in a sweet 16 exit? Thereby, could we say it's a wash? Actually, instead of our coach's recruiting efforts being the spotlight of the program, now our coach's personal life is the spotlight. Not a good trade.
December 19, 200718 yr Rumors and off court issues aside, I have trouble believing Billie Clyde knows how to coach. What else do you have a hard time believing? He's a 3 time Big12 coach of the year, and the only coach to have the biggest turnaround twice. The man can coach. He'll make it work.
December 19, 200718 yr What else do you have a hard time believing? He's a 3 time Big12 coach of the year, and the only coach to have the biggest turnaround twice. The man can coach. He'll make it work. All I can say is "Don't tell me; show me..."
December 19, 200718 yr Maybe only one if all of the off the court/practice floor rumors are true. I don't pay much if any attention to rumors though and I certainly do not pay ANY attention to Billy Reed. he is all about "stirring people up" and has always had an ax to grind with U.K. for the most part and everyone knows it. Reed is popular with some in Louisville and imo that's about it.. IMO Reed is just another arrogant writer that thinks he is above anything and everything. As for your title 02, imo it should read "Billy Reed is a Disaster" or "Billy Reed is a Bitter Old Man" You know what's funny about this thread? It's that if Reed's "axe" was with UofL as opposed to UK, you and most of the rest of the folks in this thread would think he was doing Pulitzer Prize material.
December 19, 200718 yr All I can say is "Don't tell me; show me..." Give him more than 9 games to overhaul a team that is plauged with injuries. If he's 45-45 at the end of the 09-10 season, cut him loose, but give him a chance.
December 19, 200718 yr Give him more than 9 games to overhaul a team that is plauged with injuries. If he's 45-45 at the end of the 09-10 season, cut him loose, but give him a chance. It's not the record I'm worried about (as of now, anyway). It's how we are losing that worries me. It's guys being injured with no one really knowing how. It's guys that get into the coach's doghouse, but don't seem to know why. It's having a team with 3 or 4 scorers, but keeping half of them on the bench at any given time.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.