Bedard Deal Not Dead

gametime

Just finished my Sunday Insider for the paper. Here's the cliff notes version: The Reds still think they can get a deal done for Erik Bedard. They're not going to give up Jay Bruce to get one done, however.

That would mean Homer Bailey would likely be in the package. I'm guessing here but I think it would take Bailey, Joey Votto and a top prospect to get the deal done.

Would you make that trade? I think Bailey could develop into a No. 1 or 2 type. But Bedard's already there and he's left-handed.

http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/redsinsider/2007/12/bedard-deal-not-dead.asp#comments

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am on the fence of this one every day. One day I want the trade, then the next I want them to keep their young talent and win next year and the years after that. This trade would put them as front runners in the Central, but they will be front runners, imo, in about 2 years witht their young talent.

Will control Bailey for 6 years, Bedard for 2. Not worth it. Wait until '09 when Griffey is gone and they can sign one and keep what they have.

Wow! I'm so glad you aren't in charge of the Reds....How long have you been waiting til next year?

I don't understand your logic one bit. Hamilton has potential to be a very good player, Bailey has potential to be a very good player, while Bedard is already proven to be a legit #1 starter. You'd rather have potential over proven talent?

So you sit and hope he becomes a #1 and walk away from a proven #1 that has shown he can get guys out in the AL East? No thanks. I want to win, and now...

Unless it's Johan Santanna or Josh Beckett, I hardly see anyone as being so "proven" as a guy I have never even heard of. And I do watch baseball.