Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Bill Callahan has been asked to resign

Featured Replies

  • Author
You and me both, I really thought we had a shot at the big 12 title this year.

 

In September I was trying to decide if I was going to make the trip for the big 12 title game. They made that decision easy for me.

You and me both, I really thought we had a shot at the big 12 title this year.

 

Everyone did, including NU critics. This was THE year, with Purify and Lucky back, Octavien and Ruud back, and Sam Keller eligible. This has come out of nowhere and anyone who says opposite is not being honest.

Everyone did, including NU critics. This was THE year, with Purify and Lucky back, Octavien and Ruud back, and Sam Keller eligible. This has come out of nowhere and anyone who says opposite is not being honest.

 

It takes me back to when we thought USC and LSU were CLEARLY the two best teams in the nation...some of us Trojan fans (like me) expected a blowout win and debated it with the Husker fans. I remember them saying there is no way a team would score X amount of points in Lincoln, etc...

 

...then USC bombed them. I was feeling pretty good at the time. Little did anyone know at the time that Nebraska was that bad and looking back, if USC was as good as advertised, they should have beat them much worse. I really thought Nebraska was going to be pretty good and that USC's big win would only validate their position as one of the top teams...boy, was I wrong. Kansas scored 70+...that's crazy.

 

Still, I think getting rid of Callahan now is the right move. I think he's done a good recruiting job, so the next coach will have some talent to work with...if they let Callahan stick it out, this will continue, his recruiting will drop and the cupboard will be left empty. If they make the move now, as I think they will and should, I think they're positioned to compete sooner rather than later. So, while this season has been a disaster, Nebraska is in better shape than most teams looking at a coaching change...I think about Florida and Zook...he couldn't get it done there, but he left Meyer a ton of talent. Callahan probably won't be leaving his successor quite that much, but it will be plenty enough to compete immediately in the Big 12 North, which positions them well to get back on the OU/Texas level rather quickly with the right coach in place.

It takes me back to when we thought USC and LSU were CLEARLY the two best teams in the nation...some of us Trojan fans (like me) expected a blowout win and debated it with the Husker fans. I remember them saying there is no way a team would score X amount of points in Lincoln, etc...

 

Your right, just like I remember some other (other meaning that I also am a long-time Bengal fan) Bengal fans thinking I was crazy when I said they'd be under .500. No one gets 'em all right. Right? :p

I thought it was a bad hire from Day 1. I remember telling my friend who lives in Nebraska this, she kept telling me to give him time, etc, etc.

 

I was really pulling for them this year and I thought with USC at home, they would really have a chance. I think the coaching staff, the players put so much into that game that when it played out the way it did, their season ended that night.

 

I know they have had injuries, but I honestly believe that had they won that game, the season would have been totally different. Wouldn't surprise me at all to find out the players have essentially "quit" on the coaching staff and the staff had no answers after putting all their eggs in that one game.

 

The former AD probably should have never fired Solich in the first place, I know he was beating everyone except Oklahoma, but at least he was putting a decent team on the field.

Your right, just like I remember some other (other meaning that I also am a long-time Bengal fan) Bengal fans thinking I was crazy when I said they'd be under .500. No one gets 'em all right. Right? :p

 

Not even close...I had the Bengals and Giants completely reversed. I also picked the Broncos to win the AFC West...I was right that the Chargers would dissappoint under Norv Turner, but luckily for them, they're in one of the worst divisions in the NFL this year. Nothing really surprises me in the NFL though...making pre-season predictions is about like a crapshoot...I just enjoy doing it.

 

So far, I'm hanging my hat on picking the Packers to win the NFC North. :lol:

 

Besides, I wasn't trying to brag about being right on the Nebraska game...my point was more that I'm a USC fan and I was really excited after they belted the Huskers because I thought they'd destroyed a legit top 20 team on it's home field. As it turns out, neither of them have been that good.

Besides, I wasn't trying to brag about being right on the Nebraska game...my point was more that I'm a USC fan and I was really excited after they belted the Huskers because I thought they'd destroyed a legit top 20 team on it's home field. As it turns out, neither of them have been that good.

 

 

:thumb: :thumb:

 

Just giving you a little grief 5Wide, I knew you weren't bragging. However, you'd be well within your rights to. :D

The story made it pretty clear that Callahan doesn't believe he and his staff will be back next year, but he will not quit, and Osborne has said that no changes will be made until after the season.

 

Coaching contracts usually have buyout clauses that pay out in the event the contractor (the university) wishes to opt out of the contract (fire the coach). I believe Callahan just signed an extension after last season, so he probably has a rather large buyout. More than likely, he would not get the bulk of the buyout money, should he resign. If I'm in Callahan's shoes, I do the same thing.

 

As for the University, from a fiscal standpoint why bring in an interm coach this late into the season? That's just peeing money away. Turner Gill is not going to do it for free and Tom Osborne has his hands full as the AD. Believe it or not, they do have other sports at Nebraska.

 

:thumb: I understand and agree. Like I said I don't know what they will do other than am pretty sure Callihan will not be back. was just giving a "what if" scenerio.

I was at the NU-KSU game this weekend. I left at the beginnig of the 4th quarter and the score was 66-17 (I forgot the final, I just wanted to beat the crowd). While my Huskers were racking up the points and playing a great game in all three phases, all I could hear is how bad Callahan was and how they would rather have Solich back as Coach. I think they burned a bridge with Solich. If this job is up for grabs again, look for NU to go looking for someone who has an NU connection of some sort. This will be interesting!

I was at the NU-KSU game this weekend. I left at the beginnig of the 4th quarter and the score was 66-17 (I forgot the final, I just wanted to beat the crowd). While my Huskers were racking up the points and playing a great game in all three phases, all I could hear is how bad Callahan was and how they would rather have Solich back as Coach. I think they burned a bridge with Solich. If this job is up for grabs again, look for NU to go looking for someone who has an NU connection of some sort. This will be interesting!

 

2 words.... Turner Gill or Bo Billeni:)

The Huskers might be going after Norvelle Turner next :D

Did you come up with that on your own, or from the story, Captain Obvious? :lol:

 

:laugh:

The Huskers might be going after Norvelle Turner next :D

 

It's all about continuity, and Norv would provide that in accordance with what's been going on lately ...

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.