Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

How should basketball coaches handle this?

Featured Replies

If a kid has a good reason to quit, why punish him by not letting him get on the basketball court as soon as possible?
Because you would be setting a precedent that could lead to erosion from one program to another when things got tuff or the weather turned bad during a "down" year.

 

Joining a team should be a commitment. Nobdoy says you can't quit if that commitment doesn't work out, but the price for making that comittment and not sticking to it is observing the season guidelines of the fall sports team.

  • Replies 51
  • Views 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because you would be setting a precedent that could lead to erosion from one program to another when things got tuff or the weather turned bad during a "down" year.

 

Joining a team should be a commitment. Nobdoy says you can't quit if that commitment doesn't work out, but the price for making that comittment and not sticking to it is observing the season guidelines of the fall sports team.

 

You also are creating a precedent by not letting the kid play on not being fair to kids who may have been done wrong by coaches.

I believe a sophomore or even a junior that is only playing JV football should be able to move on to basketball after the JV season is over. To sit and watch the varsity play for another 5 weeks and not be able to practice basketball is nuts. Lets face it, it only effects a few players. Why can't they practice basketball all week and still suit up on Friday nights with the football team. It's not like they'll get to play anyway.

You also are creating a precedent by not letting the kid play on not being fair to kids who may have been done wrong by coaches.

 

If every kid (or employee) that thought he'd been "done wrong" by their coach (or boss) quit in the middle of a season (or job), half the teams would never finish their seasons (or jobs)??

 

I guess it's an old fashioned adage, but I was brought up and brought my kids up to finish what I/they started--Plain & Simple!! Lots of times it wasn't easy or convenient, but you made the commitment, and you honor that commitment. Odd how things will work out in the end, even though it didn't look like it would early on!!

As a parent I always taught my kids to finish what they started. If they started a sport and find out they didn't like it or wanted to do something else, I always encouraged them to finish the year and not go out for that sport again. I feel that each student/athlete is different as is each situation. However, starting something and then quitting can and does sometimes become a habit and an easy way out of something and may carry over into the kids adult life.

Communication between the coaches, athlete and parents is important in this type of situation.

 

I agree 100 % cvillecat. Thats life in general, finish what you started. Toughing something out builds character. My dad never let me quit a sport during a season. After the first practice, I was there till the last one.

 

The only time a kid should quit a sport is when in effects his grades.

I agree 100 % cvillecat. Thats life in general, finish what you started. Toughing something out builds character. My dad never let me quit a sport during a season. After the first practice, I was there till the last one.

 

The only time a kid should quit a sport is when in effects his grades.

 

What was the movie where the kid began throwing his math grade so his dad would remove him from the football team?

If every kid (or employee) that thought he'd been "done wrong" by their coach (or boss) quit in the middle of a season (or job), half the teams would never finish their seasons (or jobs)??

 

I guess it's an old fashioned adage, but I was brought up and brought my kids up to finish what I/they started--Plain & Simple!! Lots of times it wasn't easy or convenient, but you made the commitment, and you honor that commitment. Odd how things will work out in the end, even though it didn't look like it would early on!!

 

What if that environment is unhealthy for the kid. Hey I don't believe in quitting either. I never quit anything I started. But I simply believe some situations it should be okay to move along to another sport without having to suffer the consequences of missing practice time.

What if that environment is unhealthy for the kid. Hey I don't believe in quitting either. I never quit anything I started. But I simply believe some situations it should be okay to move along to another sport without having to suffer the consequences of missing practice time.

 

 

Not sure what designates a "unhealthy situation" but certainly there are exceptions. Regarding grades, I think they normally take care of themselves, and most schools have guidelines in place to deal with that already; but maybe a kid who has been struggling in the classroom should think twice about participating in sports to begin with??

Not sure what designates a "unhealthy situation" but certainly there are exceptions. Regarding grades, I think they normally take care of themselves, and most schools have guidelines in place to deal with that already; but maybe a kid who has been struggling in the classroom should think twice about participating in sports to begin with??

 

Now come on, you know the atmosphere in schools today. Athletics and not academics is what is going to get them a college scholarship.:rolleyes:

Not sure what designates a "unhealthy situation" but certainly there are exceptions. Regarding grades, I think they normally take care of themselves, and most schools have guidelines in place to deal with that already; but maybe a kid who has been struggling in the classroom should think twice about participating in sports to begin with??

 

If you have been reading the thread thoroughly you would know what I mean. What if a coach's verbal abuse is over the top? Because a student gets out of an unhealthy situation like that should they be punished for it?

Now come on, you know the atmosphere in schools today. Athletics and not academics is what is going to get them a college scholarship.:rolleyes:

 

:thumb::confused:

I don't think any kid (Catholic schools not withstanding) are on athletic scholarships. ?

 

Rojas, do you REALLY believe there are athletic scholarships in high school?

There seems to be the feeling among some that "if you're not a starter or a contributor" then its OK to quit. Would it also be OK if they didn't want to show up for practice? Remember, they don't start or contribute.

You also are creating a precedent by not letting the kid play on not being fair to kids who may have been done wrong by coaches.
Nobody is saying that the young man can't play - he just has to wait until his fall sport plays out.
I believe a sophomore or even a junior that is only playing JV football should be able to move on to basketball after the JV season is over. To sit and watch the varsity play for another 5 weeks and not be able to practice basketball is nuts.
Ahhh! A whole different situation.

 

Again, nobody is talking about a player whose JV season has ended AND is not dressing/playing with the varsity for the duration of their season.

 

I think that across the board, JV (and Freshmen) players whose season has ended are free to join the basketball team practices with no obligation to wait for the completion of the varsity football season.

 

Even I would object to that! ;)

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.