How should basketball coaches handle this?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rojas, do you REALLY believe there are athletic scholarships in high school?

Yes, I do. Apparantly the KHSAA believes this too. A well known Catholic high school was recently put on probation and had to pay a $30,000 fine for providing financial assistance to athletes.

So a kid may have to wait til December rather than October 15th? That is punishing the kid.
He should have understood the ramifications when he joined the football team.

He is not being punished - he QUIT the football team. You shouldn't be allowed to quit a fall sport and then just hook up with a winter sport team without consequence. If that were the case the lunatics would be running the asylum.

I think that this is what is wrong with the world and this generation today - no accountability.

Now come on, you know the atmosphere in schools today. Athletics and not academics is what is going to get them a college scholarship.:rolleyes:

Not true. I would guess that there are 30 acedemic scholarships awarded for every one athletic scholarship.

He should have understood the ramifications when he joined the football team.

He is not being punished - he QUIT the football team. You shouldn't be allowed to quit a fall sport and then just hook up with a winter sport team without consequence. If that were the case the lunatics would be running the asylum.

I think that this is what is wrong with the world and this generation today - no accountability.

I am sure a kid who is truly treated bad playing football by the coach, or simply does have a good reason to quit did not see that situation coming when they joined the football team. I don't think this is an issue that there should be a black and white rule put in place. I believe each situation should be handled individually.

Seems like this topic is reaching an impass, and in the end there are simply two schools of thought!!

One--Let a kid quit a team in mid-season with no penalty when he's unhappy, feels slighted, team's losing too many games, he's bored, gets mad a the coach, etc.

Two--Make a kid fulfill his obligation to his team, coaches and teammates and finish the season; or wait until that team's season is over to start particiption in the next sport he'll probably quit when the going gets tough.

I know which team I like come playoff time!!!!

Seems like this topic is reaching an impass,
I agree!

I've had my say.

What if? What if? What if? What if? What if? What if? What If? What if?

Welcome to the 21st Century!