Class 2A Playoffs

Colt45

NewCath to me is the team to watch in 2A, they lost to 6A Ryle in a barn burnte of a game. NewCath's defense is awesome and their offense is just not catching up with the defense and they have several weapons to throw to and even the running game gets better each week. I am sure whomever they play down the stretch it will be a classic. JD

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my opinion, class 2A rivals class 5A as the overall "deepest" class of talent. There are several districts with at least 2 and many times 3 quality teams, and that fact is not confined to any one region. 5A is the same way. Class 6A has the best teams, but after the first 9 or 10, the talent level drops off dramatically, and you see a lot of small schools around the state competing (and even beating) 6A schools.

The 6A team I was referring to in Ryle was the runner up last year and lost in the State Final Game against Trinity. They are highly rated in N. Ky this year and will be in the thick again in the playoffs. I was just trying to let people know that NewCath is the real deal and have played some tough games to date. Again I think 2A overall is up this year and better than years past. JD

the realignment has helped 2A alot and they should continue to be strong year after year

I'm sure all the NewCath, Danville, and Bardstown folks are now "true believers" in 2A football... :lol: ;)

As shown after the respective seasons (at least 2002 thru 2005), 2A was no "weak sister" in ANY of those years. The class had a best record among the 4 classes vs. in-state out-of-class opponents in '02 and '03 (don't remember exactly how it broke down in '04 and '05, though). Though it had its flaws, no one else came up with a better objective way of comparing the classes. The point is...2A was doing fine before, thank you very much.

As far as whether it's even stronger now, it's certainly possible. As far as top teams go, 2A lost Belfry, Breathitt Co. and E-town, but picked up Danville, NewCath and Bardstown.

I'm sure the numbers will come out after the season. :thumb:

In my opinion, class 2A rivals class 5A as the overall "deepest" class of talent. There are several districts with at least 2 and many times 3 quality teams, and that fact is not confined to any one region. 5A is the same way. Class 6A has the best teams, but after the first 9 or 10, the talent level drops off dramatically, and you see a lot of small schools around the state competing (and even beating) 6A schools.

I may be a little dense on the home team match ups, but indulge me. If Corbin and NCC get to the regional finals where would the game be played?

Winner of District 1 plays Winner of District 3, 2 plays 4, 5 plays 7, 6 plays 8.

I think Trigg is the front runner in 1, Green County in 2, Ft. Campbell/Owensboro Catholic in 3, Danville (outside chance of Bardstown) in 4, Desales in 5 (outside chance of CAL), NCC in 6, Prestonsburg in 7, and Corbin (outside chance of Middlesboro) in 8.

I honestly think you are looking at Green County v. Danville and NCC v. Desales in the semis, and a rematch of Danville and NCC in the finals.

What does CAL have to do to win District 5, and make it to the semis?

What does CAL have to do to win District 5, and make it to the semis?

Win their first round home game against Carroll County, win a likely second round road matchup against Desales, and then win a likely third round road matchup at Prestonsburg. That would put them in the semis against the winner of what will likely be NCC and Corbin. All other things playing out as expected, of course.

The West is too even to predict anything.......Fort Campbell, Trigg Co., and Caldwell Co. are all solid teams. Ft Campbell is the really hot team right now. Trigg, who is explosive on both sides of the ball, has been nursing lots of injuries from what I hear. And Caldwell has really picked things up since getting embarasses by Lone Oak in the second game of the season. If I had to pick one of these teams to go to L-ville it would be Ft. Campbell. Their defense is stellar, they have several playmakers on offense, and their quarterback can make things happen with his arm or his feet.

In southcentral KY, both Metcalfe Co. and Green Co. are putting on a show, and Owensboro Catholic is always a contender too. I know OC just got beat by Ft. Campbell last week, and Green Co. has already defeated Metcalfe Co. this year. It appears Green Co is the team to beat in that district right now.

Overall, 2A is the most competitive class hands down........it should be an exciting post season in 2A!!