School Provided Birth Control for 6th Graders?

Watusi

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They have to have parental permission, but if that's the case shouldn't the parent be doing something proactive besides sending the kid to the school nurse?

This make me ill. Not only condoms, but birth control pills.

Actually, if I am reading it right, they don't tell the parents about it.

The students have to have parental permission to receive services from the student health center, but they will not disclose to the parents what treatment was given.

At King Middle School, birth control prescriptions will be given after a student undergoes a physical exam by a physician or nurse practitioner, said Lisa Belanger, who oversees Portland’s student health centers.

Students treated at the centers must first get written parental permission, but under state law such treatment is confidential, and students decide for themselves whether to tell their parents about the services they receive.

I'm assuming the parents give some global consent at the beginning of the school year for their kid to be able to receive treatment from the health center if needed. I would grant that for my kid in case of him getting sick at school or in case of some minor injury.

If I am reading it right, once the kid has permission to go to the health center, what happens there is not disclosed to anyone unless the student him/herself tells it.

Physical exams, birth control pills, etc., administered to kids at that age and done without true consent of the parents is insane, IMO.

Actually, if I am reading it right, they don't tell the parents about it.

The students have to have parental permission to receive services from the student health center, but they will not disclose to the parents what treatment was given.

At King Middle School, birth control prescriptions will be given after a student undergoes a physical exam by a physician or nurse practitioner, said Lisa Belanger, who oversees Portland’s student health centers.

Students treated at the centers must first get written parental permission, but under state law such treatment is confidential, and students decide for themselves whether to tell their parents about the services they receive.

I'm assuming the parents give some global consent at the beginning of the school year for their kid to be able to receive treatment from the health center if needed. I would grant that for my kid in case of him getting sick at school or in case of some minor injury.

If I am reading it right, once the kid has permission to go to the health center, what happens there is not disclosed to anyone unless the student him/herself tells it.

Physical exams, birth control pills, etc., administered to kids at that age and done without true consent of the parents is insane, IMO.

You are correct. The students only need parental permission to be treated by the health center. I would pull my kid out of any school that allowed such craziness.

To me It's not so much that they're offering birth control , than that there is a percieved need for it at that age level in that community . A very sad situation indeed .

What is this comming to , what will be next ! Why did this school see a need for this?

Sorry guys, but this is the world we live. I think it is a great idea to offer birth control to middle schoolers. Anybody who thinks that middle school kids aren't having sex is blind. When I was in high school, I was a PSI (Postponing Sexual Involvement) Teen Leader. We went to the local middle schools and talked to kids about the postponement of sex, education, and abstinence. Those kids knew more about sex than I ever thought about knowing when I was their age.

Sorry guys, but this is the world we live. I think it is a great idea to offer birth control to middle schoolers. Anybody who thinks that middle school kids aren't having sex is blind. When I was in high school, I was a PSI (Postponing Sexual Involvement) Teen Leader. We went to the local middle schools and talked to kids about the postponement of sex, education, and abstinence. Those kids knew more about sex than I ever thought about knowing when I was their age.

So you're ok with giving 11 year old girls birth control pills without informing their parents?