Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

CATS scores released

Featured Replies

http://www.education.ky.gov/KDE/Administrative+Resources/Finance+and+Funding/School+Finance/SEEK+and+Tax+Rates/SEEK.htm

Dig in...go to SEEK/Tax rates, and you can get each districts local tax rates, per pupil funding and so forth.

On one other link it explains the formula.

Ft. Thomas has a property value of $1,128,765,652. compared to Owsley County's $108,020,481..

Extroadinary difference.

And our working budget reflects that.

  • Replies 182
  • Views 14.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

...we are being punished because we go the extra mile and actually care about our schools enough to fund them properly.

How do you go the extra mile?

How do you care enough to fund them properly?

Enlighten me?

Why not check with some of the BOE's in Eastern Ky and compare the budget they have to deal with (with little tax base to work with) to some of the larger districts where property is more plentiful,appraised higher and actually PAID.If you take Title I and Seek money out of some of these districts,they would be closed before the school year started.

And remember..SEEK is paid PER student and depends on that student's attendance.

 

Exactly, It is easy for people to look down on title 1 and seek when they don't need this form of help. When you depend on it to open your doors from year to year you take offense to some one looking down their nose at the way your school district is operating.

Exactly, It is easy for people to look down on title 1 and seek when they don't need this form of help. When you depend on it to open your doors from year to year you take offense to some one looking down their nose at the way your school district is operating.

Would these districts that do not receive a lot of Title I money be willing to trade a district 100 of their lowest achieving students for 100 of a Title I districts lowest acheiveing students, for money?

I highly doubt it.

I am sure Birdsfan is not looking down his nose at us,he was merely trying to point out a positive in his community.In doing so,he has allowed us to point out the positives and negatives in ours. And we have had some good dialogue.

We all care about our kids,but those of us in our districts have fewer resources to draw upon and have to deal with what we have. The system is flawed,but does anyone have an answer? Let's hear it,because some of us are running out of time.

Would these districts that do not receive a lot of Title I money be willing to trade a district 100 of their lowest achieving students for 100 of a Title I districts lowest acheiveing students, for money?

I highly doubt it.

 

They have no clue, what we are dealing with daily. There is a definite reason that education is not valued by many of the families in these communities. It is easy to set in wealthier schools and not understand title one schools because I used to student teach in a wealthy area. Until you have seen some of the situations that teachers have to deal with daily at title one schools, it is awful easy to point fingers and say people don't care and are taking advantage of the system.

I am sure Birdsfan is not looking down his nose at us,he was merely trying to point out a positive in his community.In doing so,he has allowed us to point out the positives and negatives in ours. And we have had some good dialogue.

We all care about our kids,but those of us in our districts have fewer resources to draw upon and have to deal with what we have. The system is flawed,but does anyone have an answer? Let's hear it,because some of us are running out of time.

 

You are probably right, it does make me envious of their situation. I would love to be able to not rely on some of these programs to supply the best possible education to the children in my area.

Ft. Thomas has a property value of $1,128,765,652. compared to Owsley County's $108,020,481..

Extroadinary difference.

And therein lies our problem.
I am sure Birdsfan is not looking down his nose at us,he was merely trying to point out a positive in his community.In doing so,he has allowed us to point out the positives and negatives in ours. And we have had some good dialogue.

We all care about our kids,but those of us in our districts have fewer resources to draw upon and have to deal with what we have. The system is flawed,but does anyone have an answer? Let's hear it,because some of us are running out of time.

Thanks Owsleyking. I'm afraid I landed on Normandy with a pea shooter and a squirt gun. It didn't go well. ;)
You are probably right, it does make me envious of their situation. I would love to be able to not rely on some of these programs to supply the best possible education to the children in my area.
We too have our problems to deal with.
We too have our problems to deal with.

 

Yeah I'm sure you do, just a hit a sensitive nerve thats all.

How do you go the extra mile?

How do you care enough to fund them properly?

Enlighten me?

Taxes--involvement--support. It makes a difference. And I'm sure that will continue, despite the difficult challenges imposed by SEEK.
http://www.education.ky.gov/KDE/Administrative+Resources/Finance+and+Funding/School+Finance/SEEK+and+Tax+Rates/SEEK.htm

Dig in...go to SEEK/Tax rates, and you can get each districts local tax rates, per pupil funding and so forth.

On one other link it explains the formula.

Ft. Thomas has a property value of $1,128,765,652. compared to Owsley County's $108,020,481..

Extroadinary difference.

 

Sorry but that web site is a complete waste and like John Williamson (Ft. Thomas superintendent) "I think it is a mess".

 

Fort Thomas is a small bedroom community of private homes. There is zero industry. Small busnesses yes but not one large corporate entity, lets say like Newport has Newport on the Levey. Major bucks. Therefore Fort Thomas is made up of mostly homes and small businesses. Convenients, florist, etc. Therefore my tax bill , which came while I was at the High School doing some extra spurcing up, was comprised of 2/3 to the school and 1/3 to the city.

 

Now, I'm at the school painting and others are planting and the state won't give us money to AC our 1920's building unless we raise a certain amount and then they MAY match that. Give me a break. I've been to other schools and I know whatchya got. And every time I pull into those "parking lots" and up to that "beautiful new school" I think about where my "tax Money" (SEEK) is going.

 

Finally somethings are happening in Fort Thomas and it is long over due.

Yeah I'm sure you do, just a hit a sensitive nerve thats all.
I think there's a lot of misconceptions all the way around. Maybe we'd be better off if we could all be in a super-sized version of Wife Swap.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.