Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

2007/2008 South Laurel

Featured Replies

I have been told that Zach Lewis is not playing basketball this year for Clay Co. But that may not be true. I think Knox Central and North Laurel could flip-flop between 6-7................just have to see though.

  • Replies 63
  • Views 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have North Laurel at 6th, ahead of Clay, Knox Central and Bell Co. Corbin is pretty solid 1, but I think 2-5 could be anyway you want to pick.
I think That Cumberland will prove to be the solid #1 team in this Region, Corbin is right there too, but It will be interesting to see how not playing basketball for the last several months due to injury will effect Josh Crawford's play. I heard a couple days ago that he was not even practicing yet. Cumberland will be strong inside and out, and quick at every position and will go 8 or 9 deep with quality players off the bench this year. They will be in tremendous shape and will represent themselves and the 13th Region wherever they go this year very well
It's obvious South Laurel won't be as good as in year's past and I look for the Cardinals to start off slow, but finish strong in the regular season.

I believe they play seven of their last nine games at home and I'm sure that is for a reason to get them on a roll before post-season begins.

Corbin is the team to beat in the district and Cumberland along with the Redhounds are the teams to beat in the region, but neither team is head and shoulders better than 3 through 10.

I really believe South Laurel will be a dangerous team if the Cards can reach the region tournament. I don't know if they could win the region, but I know I sure wouldn't want to play them in the first round or in a one and done game. They have better talent than many think.

Imagine South losing in the district finals and drawing Cumberland in the first round of the region. That could be a trap game. And, in all honesty, I'm more sold on Corbin than I am Cumberland. Coach P is a great coach and he has a greating coaching staff and a solid neucleus of players.

For South to be successful, Gilbert must be solid, along with St. John, Zack Smith and some other players like Bortnem.

I believe Billy Jones is the key to the team, though.

If Jones would ahve played last season, South goes further in state play.

A team to look out for is, of course, Knox Central and North Laurel.

I read the Cats Pause and shook my head when I read the player rankins and the team rankings. I know the coaches vote on that stuff, but some of that is HILARIOUS. North Laurel will be better than the ninth best team, at least, that's what I believe.

What exactly do you see Les that is HILARIOUS about the player and team rankings that the COACHES voted on?? As for being more sold on Corbin than Cumberland, the next time you talk to Steve Wright or anyone on the SL coaching staff why dont you ask them what they think about the Redskins!! As for what I have seen out of SL this past summer and know about their excellent coaching staff they will be a solid team in this Region and I am sure nobody would ever take them lightly, especially not a veteran team like Cumberland.
I can see Bell, but Knox Central and Clay have just about everyone back and were better than North last year.

 

Clay struggled to beat North in OT last year a week after the road trip incident, when they were without Dalton. KC beat NL straight-up in the regular-season finale in an outstanding game. No excuse for the Red Bird game. You shouldn't overlook a team twice.

I think That Cumberland will prove to be the solid #1 team in this Region, Corbin is right there too, but It will be interesting to see how not playing basketball for the last several months due to injury will effect Josh Crawford's play. I heard a couple days ago that he was not even practicing yet. Cumberland will be strong inside and out, and quick at every position and will go 8 or 9 deep with quality players off the bench this year. They will be in tremendous shape and will represent themselves and the 13th Region wherever they go this year very well

 

I think that Cumberland goes in as the favorite with Corbin #2, followed by Pineville, South Laurel & Knox Central rounding out the top 5. Jackson Co., North Laurel & maybe Clay Co. would fall into the 6-8 slots with Bell and Middlesboro finishing the top 10.

Clay struggled to beat North in OT last year a week after the road trip incident, when they were without Dalton. KC beat NL straight-up in the regular-season finale in an outstanding game. No excuse for the Red Bird game. You shouldn't overlook a team twice.

 

North was up and down most of the season. They beat a good Cumberland team and then lost to Cawood's worst team in 12 years. I wouldn't argue with someone ranking them fifth or sixth, but when you lose 17 games and don't make it to the regional, ninth isn't that out of the ordinary.

North was up and down most of the season. They beat a good Cumberland team and then lost to Cawood's worst team in 12 years. I wouldn't argue with someone ranking them fifth or sixth, but when you lose 17 games and don't make it to the regional, ninth isn't that out of the ordinary.
North will be very solid in the backcourt, but do not have very much at all inside and that keeps them from being in the top 5 or 6 teams. I believe somewhere in the 7 to 10 spot is a very legitimate rankng for them.

We always razz Isaiah Mills about being 6'10" because he doesn't look it due to him being so bulky. We measured and weighed him this summer to try and prove him wrong. He was 6'9 1/2 and 311 pounds.

 

I swear Crawford looks to weigh more than 215. Last time I spoke with him he said 230. Regardless, he looks like a tight end these days. Huge kid.

Sorry, I hit post before I actually got to post on the topic. I believe that South Laurel will still be a fine team that will be a legit threat for the region title. Not saying that any of the Big 3 had egos but this year, the ball will be spread around more and you will see more of a team game from the Cards. Coach Wright will not settle for anything less than 100% effort and that is exactly what I expect to see out of them this year. The Hounds and Skins are the top two but I won't be surprised to see South lead that second tier with ability to upset the big two this year.

North will be very solid in the backcourt, but do not have very much at all inside and that keeps them from being in the top 5 or 6 teams. I believe somewhere in the 7 to 10 spot is a very legitimate rankng for them.

 

I believe that North Laurel had a kid transfer in from out of state that is supposed to be pretty good.

I believe that North Laurel had a kid transfer in from out of state that is supposed to be pretty good.
What is his name and how big is he?
I believe that North Laurel had a kid transfer in from out of state that is supposed to be pretty good.

Does he speak English?

I believe that North Laurel had a kid transfer in from out of state that is supposed to be pretty good.

 

You are reffering to Josh Sidel who is 6'5 175 probably NL's best player, but he was here the entire season last year. BTW he does speak english. His family moved here from Pennsylvainia his dad is pastor at a local church.

I believe that North Laurel had a kid transfer in from out of state that is supposed to be pretty good.

Does he speak English?

 

Josh Seidel, a junior this season. Played last year as a sophomore for North after his family moved here (legit) as his father is a paster at a very large local church. Great kid, excellent shooter, added a lot to the Jags last year and could be a force this year. If you leave him open at all, he will torch the nets all night long. By the season's end, he was getting much better at making his own shot and not just hitting jumpers. This kid can play! Best shooter I have seen at North in several years IMHO. :thumb:

 

The cheap reference to his origin did not go unnoticed. That is in the past and was rehashed enough on here for several years, ... why can't some just let it go. Josh is a GREAT kid and deserves better.

 

BTW, to all (not just you), this is a thread about South Laurel. The Cards will be better than most on here think. The 13th region has been waiting for this year, thinking that without Proffitt, Hammonds, Smith, etc that now they can beat up on the Cards a little bit. That won't happen. While I am not a fan of Steve Wright, I can tell you that the man can flat out coach and South Laurel will be fine and dandy. They have a dandy PG in Gilbert (NL knows him well as he used to play at NL) and some other solid players (St John is going to be a manchild inside) and they will be a battle for EVERY team in the 13th.

 

Josh Seidel, a junior this season. Played last year as a sophomore for North after his family moved here (legit) as his father is a paster at a very large local church. Great kid, excellent shooter, added a lot to the Jags last year and could be a force this year. If you leave him open at all, he will torch the nets all night long. By the season's end, he was getting much better at making his own shot and not just hitting jumpers. This kid can play! Best shooter I have seen at North in several years IMHO. :thumb:

 

The cheap reference to his origin did not go unnoticed. That is in the past and was rehashed enough on here for several years, ... why can't some just let it go. Josh is a GREAT kid and deserves better.

 

BTW, to all (not just you), this is a thread about South Laurel. The Cards will be better than most on here think. The 13th region has been waiting for this year, thinking that without Proffitt, Hammonds, Smith, etc that now they can beat up on the Cards a little bit. That won't happen. While I am not a fan of Steve Wright, I can tell you that the man can flat out coach and South Laurel will be fine and dandy. They have a dandy PG in Gilbert (NL knows him well as he used to play at NL) and some other solid players (St John is going to be a manchild inside) and they will be a battle for EVERY team in the 13th.

Once again, as many have already said Wright is a great coach and South will have a solid team, but there will be a couple teams (I think we know who those 2 are) that will be better than them and 6 or 7 other teams that could possibly beat them. As for the Gilbert kid, I dont know if I have ever seen him so I cant even comment on him, but as for St John he might be a manchild in size but not necessarily in athelticism and skills and he is only a sophomore, so Wright it would appear has his work cut out for him. They do however have a nice program and quality coaching as I have said many times before.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.