History of Louisville St. X and Louisville Trinity

Qryche11

Hopefully some of you Louisville folks can clarify who the better team has been over the past 15 yrs. I work with a guy who grew up in Indiana, played at Butler and was trying to argue with me that St. X is a better overall program than Trinity. I don't know the history but maybe some of you can help me out here.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hopefully some of you Louisville folks can clarify who the better team has been over the past 15 yrs. I work with a guy who grew up in Indiana, played at Butler and was trying to argue with me that St. X is a better overall program than Trinity. I don't know the history but maybe some of you can help me out here.

If two non-alumni's are arguing over which school has had the best program over the last 15 years, I can only imagine what it would be like between alumni. :argue:

This will depend on how many specfics you go into. Who has sent more student athletics to college, what was there average GPA in high school, what are both W-L records for 15 years. Several other factors, but when it gets down to it, who really cares? Their both great programs.

Not trying to create dissent here just trying to educate myself so i can inform a fellow worker who thinks he knows it all. : )

I know they are both powerhouse programs but just curious mainly on win-loss over last 15 yrs. I am sure someone can go back and track this somehow.

Not trying to create dissent here just trying to educate myself so i can inform a fellow worker who thinks he knows it all. : )

I know they are both powerhouse programs but just curious mainly on win-loss over last 15 yrs. I am sure someone can go back and track this somehow.

Are you speaking specifically and exclusively of football?

There's a lot more to each school that leads each school's supporters to believe they are better than the other.

Past 15 years, X has 7 championship appearances and 4 championships. T has 8 appearances and 6 titles. Head to head matchups is in X's favor 9-8 (as is the overall series).

Sounds to me Trinity has more rings and trips to the big one but X has the edge in head to head. Thanks BuddyBW. Pretty awesome accomplishments.

1992 through 2006

State Titles (* denotes vs T/X)

T (6): 06, 05*, 03*, 02, 01, 94

X (5): 04, 99, 97*, 95, 92

Runner up:

T (2): 00, 97*

X (2): 05*, 03*

Head to Head games:

X: 10 wins

T: 8 wins

Record/Winning % (all games):

X: 172-32 84%

T: 166-40 81%

Record/Winning % (in state):

X 171-30 85%

T 162-30 84%

Points Scored/Against:

T: 6714/2492

X: 6363/2223

All State Players

X (47): 19 1st, 12 2nd, 16 3rd

T (40): 20 1st, 9 2nd, 11 3rd

Out of State Wins:

T (4): Franklin (IN) 99, Elder 02, MBA 04, Chaminade (OH) 04

X (1): Moeller 03

Out of State Loses:

T (10): Ben Davis (94, 95), Moeller (97), Cincy St. X (97, 98, 03), Elder (98), MBA (03, 05, 06)

X (2): Cincy St. X (97), Moeller (04)

I should temper this comment by saying that I support T, though many of my friends are X supporters. I went on the KHSAA website to double check the titles, runners-up, etc. Upon closer inspection in appears that the only timeframe whereby the programs appear equal (from a state title standpoint) is over the last 15 years. If the parameters are changed to the last 5 years or the last 20 years then T gets the nod (in state titles). X's dominance was from '92-'99 (4 titles to T's 1). T dominated from '80-'90 (6 to 1) and the 00s (5 to 1). Prior to 1980 the programs were tied at 5 titles each.

I have no idea as to the head-to-head, all-state players, etc, but I would think that either program would take a state title over a head-to-head meeting or a host of all-staters, IMO.

I should temper this comment by saying that I support T, though many of my friends are X supporters. I went on the KHSAA website to double check the titles, runners-up, etc. Upon closer inspection in appears that the only timeframe whereby the programs appear equal (from a state title standpoint) is over the last 15 years. If the parameters are changed to the last 5 years or the last 20 years then T gets the nod (in state titles). X's dominance was from '92-'99 (4 titles to T's 1). T dominated from '80-'90 (6 to 1) and the 00s (5 to 1). Prior to 1980 the programs were tied at 5 titles each.

Interesting breakdown. Here's another one: The KHSAA recognizes state titles dating back to 1959. Since 1959, X has amassed 11, good for third in the state. Trinity has won 11 state titles in the past 24 years, (1983-2006), or in half the time.