Ohio vs. USA updates

theguru

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hoover had the ball at Colerain's 15 yard line, 3rd down with about 12 seconds to go. The running back bounced out to the left (I thought he was just trying to get the ball to the center of the field for the winning field goal attempt) but kept on going down to the 3 yard line and time expired. Colerain missed a couple of tackles and the Hoover back probably thought he could make the endzone. The Hoover coach couldn't call his timeout because the play was still alive. Hoover is fun to watch...spread offense, multiple sets, alternating QB's (1st half) and a big, aggressive defense. Hoover had the game won in the final seconds of the game, but their receiver dropped a TD pass (with a little help from a Colerain defender). In OT, Colerain couldn't move the ball and settled for a field goal. Hoover turned the ball over on downs...end of game.

I thought they were closer than the 15.Regardless , this was a stupid call .Should of kicked the FG .Many people around me agreed maybe Hoover figured they would punch it in .They said it seemed as they were to good to have to kick the FG .Just others opinions

I thought they were closer than the 15.Regardless , this was a stupid call .Should of kicked the FG .Many people around me agreed maybe Hoover figured they would punch it in .They said it seemed as they were to good to have to kick the FG .Just others opinions

It may have been closer in, the 1st down maker was around the 2 yard line. Lot's of people think the coach blew it...I don't know the call, but suspect the running back took it upon himself to deliver the game single-handedly. What everyone in the stadium expected (the "smart" thing to do) was to run the ball left to the middle of the field, get to the ground, call a time out, and kick the field goal. But the player got greedy, saw the corner, and went for the first down/TD. He got the first down, but burned-up the clock. I don't think Hoover was too proud to kick the FG, I think they just made a time management mistake and will be bulletin board fodder for several weeks. They could have redeemed themselve with the TD in O/T, but that's just the way it go's sometimes. I still enjoyed the game and was impressed with Hoover's play...they kept it interesting!