August 28, 200719 yr Haven't plenty of pitchers attained 30 wins in their career? What's the big deal?Denny McLain was the last to do it in a season. That was in 1968.
August 28, 200719 yr Haven't plenty of pitchers attained 30 wins in their career? What's the big deal?:sssh: In a season.
August 29, 200719 yr :confused:I obviously didn't pay close attention to cch5432's post. I missed the word "career". But this thread is obviously about 30 game season winners. And that hasn't happened since 1968.
August 29, 200719 yr Never say never...I say it will happen again at some point. It may not be in my lifetime, but in the course of time you have to think it will happen again. I'm sure there have been times in history when people would have said Maris' record, or Aaron's record would have never fallen, but they did (and please, don't spin a steroid debate out of that)...
August 29, 200719 yr A pitcher may get 35 starts in a year. If he's lucky, he'll get 30 decisions. Randy Johnson has come the closest in the past 7 years with 35 starts and a record of 24-5 in 2002.
August 29, 200719 yr Author Here is the way to look at it... Pitchers get what, 33-35 starts a season? 1) You have to have a great bullpen to protect leads 2) You must have great run support with a big lineup (which automatically means that unless it is the Red Sox, Yankees, or other big market team, it cannot happen without the bats)
August 29, 200719 yr Probably not. We've had threads before on the "unbreakable records" in baseball. I still maintain that along with career wins, wins in a season, triples in a season, etc., that one of the absolutely unbreakable records is Connie Mack's mark of managing the same team for 50 consecutive years.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.