Question About Matt Thomas of Ashland

First of all I would like to say that I bleed maroon and white. With that said I believe switching him to QB is probably the dumbest move I have seen. I was at the game and Matt played extremely well at QB but would you consider switching a player that had over 1200 total yards last year to a postion that focuses all the attention on not the best athlete on the team.

I would like everyone opinion on this and if you all would have made the same move?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With Rashard Carter running for 228 yards, You don't need him at TB! Worry about the lines, that is where football games are won and loss! It does not make much sense to worry about him at QB if he is not protected (either at QB or RB). I promise you that coach Hart will make a change if it will improve his chances of winning and advancing in the playoffs against JC, Bryan Station, Woodford, etc.

With Rashard Carter running for 228 yards, You don't need him at TB! Worry about the lines, that is where football games are won and loss! It does not make much sense to worry about him at QB if he is not protected (either at QB or RB). I promise you that coach Hart will make a change if it will improve his chances of winning and advancing in the playoffs against JC, Bryan Station, Woodford, etc.

I agree. With Matt running the option the Tomcat offense was on track in the 2nd half. Teams will have to pick their poison. Do you let Thomas keep the ball or make him pitch it to the sophomore phenom? Rashard Carter is as good, if not better back than Thomas. Ashland will be fine this season. This was the first varsity experience for everyone on the field except Ryan Bonner and Thomas. You cant expect perfection so early. Just be patient and let Coach Hart and the boys get things goin.

First of all I would like to say that I bleed maroon and white. With that said I believe switching him to QB is probably the dumbest move I have seen. I was at the game and Matt played extremely well at QB but would you consider switching a player that had over 1200 total yards last year to a postion that focuses all the attention on not the best athlete on the team.

I would like everyone opinion on this and if you all would have made the same move?

Thomas was a quick fix for good teams. Hit him in the mouth and he was done. I dont know if he has gotten any tougher in that aspect, but if not, running the option wont go far with him.

Thomas is a SOLID player, but I will continue to argue that it is all about the supporting cast (linemen) too many times. He is one of the best players in the area and district. The only talented player in the district in comparison to him in Grimm from your mighty alumni JC.

Actually this District has other very talented players. Combs for Bryan Station is being recruited by several D1 schools at running back and Woodford County has a WR named Shawnie Lewis as a multipurpose athlete that will cause fits for a coach to keep in check. This district has more than Grimm and Thomas, much more.

Ashland does need a QB for sure. Thomas needs to be in the backfield where he belongs. But who is the QB? The QB is in the middleschool. Coach Hart was QB himself so he knows who can play QB. Thomas is the only one this year that can fill that spot. The kid will get better as the year goes along. We all know Coach Love will bring the line where it should be by district play. This district is going to be alot better than we have seem in long time. We are going to see some very talented players in this district. I wish Coach HART and the TOMCATS all the best. JUST WATCH, HART WILL GET THE JOB DONE!!!!!! AND WITH THE QB HE HAS. ASHLAND QB IS ON THE WAY. I just heard Ashland lost a good QB to BC that was going to be a real good one. What's with that??? I hate this moving from school to school. Hang in there Thomas you will be fine!!!!!!!!

Ashland does need a QB for sure. Thomas needs to be in the backfield where he belongs. But who is the QB? The QB is in the middleschool. Coach Hart was QB himself so he knows who can play QB. Thomas is the only one this year that can fill that spot. The kid will get better as the year goes along. We all know Coach Love will bring the line where it should be by district play. This district is going to be alot better than we have seem in long time. We are going to see some very talented players in this district. I wish Coach HART and the TOMCATS all the best. JUST WATCH, HART WILL GET THE JOB DONE!!!!!! AND WITH THE QB HE HAS. ASHLAND QB IS ON THE WAY. I just heard Ashland lost a good QB to BC that was going to be a real good one. What's with that??? I hate this moving from school to school. Hang in there Thomas you will be fine!!!!!!!!

Actually Ashland's backup QB Sophomore Andrew Royalty is very capable. He should step into the starting job next year and have an excellent season! He's around 6'1 180 lbs.The QB going to BC you must be referring to is Lance Evans son of BC coach Lee Evans. I believe Lance is in 7th grade.

Thomas was a quick fix for good teams. Hit him in the mouth and he was done. I dont know if he has gotten any tougher in that aspect, but if not, running the option wont go far with him.

Thats really wrong to say,when the smoke clears, look and see where Matt goes to college.Matt was keyed on every play last year

and still ran over 1,000 yards ( IMO)The wishbone would be the answer for this team, I have some old wishbone on dvd 71-73 very simple plus QB has the option to run every play,thier is a nice zero counter for QB to run also. BUT (IMO)The three back set will never happen at Ashland !

Matt is not a quitter !

Thomas will do just fine at QB this season. He is a very fine athlete who can change a game on one play. I would say he is right where he needs to be to help Ashland win games. He will punish defenses before the year is over.

Thats really wrong to say,when the smoke clears, look and see where Matt goes to college.Matt was keyed on every play last year

and still ran over 1,000 yards ( IMO)The wishbone would be the answer for this team, I have some old wishbone on dvd 71-73 very simple plus QB has the option to run every play,thier is a nice zero counter for QB to run also. BUT (IMO)The three back set will never happen at Ashland !

Matt is not a quitter !

Im not trying to come down on Thomas, but I was not the only one that seen that when he came up against a physical team, he didnt perform well. Against the physical defense of JC in the the 2 games combined Thomas had 17 carries for 20 yds and in the first game his stats were 8 carries for 3 yds. Johnson Central is very fimiliar with the option since it was primilary the only threat JC had during the Bill Musick era. In order to have a successful option the QB must be willing to draw the defender to the last second before giving up the pick in so he must be able to take a lick nearly everytime. Unless Thomas has increased his physicality, it wouldnt be the answer for this team.