Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

2007/2008 Hazard

Featured Replies

I just cant wait to see what goes down this year. Yea we got 2 transfers and new coaches but what does that matter anymore in highschool basketball. I really dont think it matters much. It can help but its the way they run things at Hazard. But we will see. For PCC beating hazard yea its very possible. Pcc plays with alot of heart and dedication its up to Hazard to realize that and respect that. I dont know if that should be the starting lineup. I will say i would wont Presley Campbell starting over Lewis. It will be very interesting for sure.

  • Replies 55
  • Views 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Presley Campbell didn't even play summer ball with Hazard this summer

Presley Campbell didn't even play summer ball with Hazard this summer

Presley is a good player, but he pretty much just shoots the ball and he is very streaky at the 3 ball. Randy Lewis is an all around player offensively and is working hard on getting better on defense. But they all have a chance to win the starting postion. That is the best thing about having Coach Holland for a coach, the best kids will play, no matter who they are or how much money they have!

When you say "same", are you referring to he lives with them or he is the legal guardian, as per a court ruling?

 

From what I hear, I'm pretty sure he is living in the same household and Coach Whitaker is the legal guardian from the courts. So if that is the case, there should be no problem with his eligiblity. But if that is not the case then they may have a problem getting him to play.

I believe on Sports 101 I heard Brian Milam say they adopted him.

If the info here is true, that arrangement will get a lot of scrutiny from the KHSAA, as it should.

If the info here is true, that arrangement will get a lot of scrutiny from the KHSAA, as it should.

 

Here is the thing. I know all about this situation and do not want to get to personal with it. But Coach Whitaker is his legal guardian. He moved to Hazard with Coach Whitaker. For the kid's sake he should be able to participate in basketball this school year.

He will not be eligable. 1. They practiced with every school in SEKY during the summer while the elder Whitaker was looking for a job. 2. Obtaining guardianship just does not get eligiblity. Especially when the guradianship was not obtained until it was clear the family was moving after EW got fired as b-ball coach at Bell. This would be no different than Coach X going to Chicago and gettting three 6'9" kids parents to give him guardanship and then bring them back and win the Sweet Sixteen. It would be for Athletic purposes only! For the kid's sake I hope he gets to play but I would not look for it in 07-08.

He will not be eligable. 1. They practiced with every school in SEKY during the summer while the elder Whitaker was looking for a job. 2. Obtaining guardianship just does not get eligiblity. Especially when the guradianship was not obtained until it was clear the family was moving after EW got fired as b-ball coach at Bell. This would be no different than Coach X going to Chicago and gettting three 6'9" kids parents to give him guardanship and then bring them back and win the Sweet Sixteen. It would be for Athletic purposes only! For the kid's sake I hope he gets to play but I would not look for it in 07-08.

 

The thing is, whether or not it was for basketball or not, Whitaker adopted the young man and I hope he gets to play. Hes a highschool kid who deserves to be able to play sports.

He will not be eligable. 1. They practiced with every school in SEKY during the summer while the elder Whitaker was looking for a job. 2. Obtaining guardianship just does not get eligiblity. Especially when the guradianship was not obtained until it was clear the family was moving after EW got fired as b-ball coach at Bell. This would be no different than Coach X going to Chicago and gettting three 6'9" kids parents to give him guardanship and then bring them back and win the Sweet Sixteen. It would be for Athletic purposes only! For the kid's sake I hope he gets to play but I would not look for it in 07-08.

 

For #1, that doesn't mean a thing. I know several kids who played with a number of different teams during the summer. That is because it's summer ball and it doesn't matter who or how many teams you play for. Has nothing to do with anything.

And for #2 if the kid has been adopted, no matter when it was done, he is just like his son and if his real son is eligible, then so should his adopted son. Good luck to all of them and I hope everything works out for the best.

Educational Guardianship is not adoption. I think we need to clear that up.

He will not be eligable. 1. They practiced with every school in SEKY during the summer while the elder Whitaker was looking for a job. 2. Obtaining guardianship just does not get eligiblity. Especially when the guradianship was not obtained until it was clear the family was moving after EW got fired as b-ball coach at Bell. This would be no different than Coach X going to Chicago and gettting three 6'9" kids parents to give him guardanship and then bring them back and win the Sweet Sixteen. It would be for Athletic purposes only! For the kid's sake I hope he gets to play but I would not look for it in 07-08.

First, summer ball is not really associated with KHSAA.

Second, Whitaker wasn't fired to my knowledge. I'm not saying he was forced out, but fired is not what happened.

Third, this kid has been with Whitaker for probably a year, and I believe he became his guardian well before the move. It was actually while they were all at Bell Co. to my knowledge.

Your knowledge is alittle off, which is understandable with all that has went on. He was living with the Whitakers and some other families at different times, but they had no educational guardanship of him until they decided to move after EW was let go. He was told he was not hired back as HC to me that seems like he was terminated or if you prefer fired.

Your knowledge is alittle off, which is understandable with all that has went on. He was living with the Whitakers and some other families at different times, but they had no educational guardanship of him until they decided to move after EW was let go. He was told he was not hired back as HC to me that seems like he was terminated or if you prefer fired.

 

Officially Whitaker stepped down. I don't think he had a choice, but he was not fired. As for Warren, becoming his legal guardian had been in the works before he stepped down.

I think it would be a mistake to not let the boy play. He has done nothing wrong in any of this.

Just a reminder this thread is on Hazard, not the eligibility of a student-athlete.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.