Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Somerset's Cole Picks Up D1 Offers

Featured Replies

  • Author
I'm not familiar with this player myself but, would it be possible for him to play both in college? Maybe a year into it or so he can decide for himself which sport is better suited for him in the rest of his college years.

 

Is this young man good enough to play Pac-10 baseball?

I have seen John Cole at several camps and I am quite impressed. Size is an issue (my guess would be 5'10") for a Division I wide receiver. His route running, hands, and heart are his perceived strengths. From seeing him run, he has good enough speed for big time ball.

 

Vanderbilt is a great school to have already offered, but if he is as academic oriented as has been indicated, if he gets an offer from Stanford, he ought to get on the next bus. Jim Harbaugh will play an exciting brand of football, and Stanford is the best all-around school in the country and I am saying that from a good source.

Did John score a 30 on his ACT?

I seem to recall reading an article either from an online newspaper or the Herald-Leader that said Cole scored a 30 on his ACT and also maintained a 4.0 GPA. Thsi would solidify why he is being recruited by vandy and Stanford, which are both top notch academic institutions.

It sounds as if this young man will be a success no matter what he chooses to do.

I wish him the best.:thumb:

I have seen John Cole at several camps and I am quite impressed. Size is an issue (my guess would be 5'10") for a Division I wide receiver. His route running, hands, and heart are his perceived strengths. From seeing him run, he has good enough speed for big time ball.

 

Vanderbilt is a great school to have already offered, but if he is as academic oriented as has been indicated, if he gets an offer from Stanford, he ought to get on the next bus. Jim Harbaugh will play an exciting brand of football, and Stanford is the best all-around school in the country and I am saying that from a good source.

 

He may be waiting on a recruiting call from Tiger before he commits:D

I have seen John Cole at several camps and I am quite impressed. Size is an issue (my guess would be 5'10") for a Division I wide receiver. His route running, hands, and heart are his perceived strengths. From seeing him run, he has good enough speed for big time ball.

 

Vanderbilt is a great school to have already offered, but if he is as academic oriented as has been indicated, if he gets an offer from Stanford, he ought to get on the next bus. Jim Harbaugh will play an exciting brand of football, and Stanford is the best all-around school in the country and I am saying that from a good source.

 

Maybe I am being geographically biased, but Vandy is just as highly regarded as Stanford, imo.

 

I stress, in my opinion, because when you look at how close it is to home for a kid in Somerset that has to weight out somewhat. Vandy is a top notch East Coast school, and Stanford is a LONG, LONG way from home,

 

With that being said, UK is great, and I'd love to see an instate kid represent the BLUE.

We are splitting hairs here. Vanderbilt is an outstanding school. To put a comparison in football perspective, Vandy is a top 20 school. Stanford is number 1,2, or 3 depending on the criteria for evaluation. Granted, it is a good ways from home, but I think if they come knocking for John Cole, he ought to seriously consider answering the door.

 

One point to make here. Cole chose to camp at Stanford which is a "LONG, LONG" way from home. Someone in his inner circle knows the value of Stanford University or he would not have gone so far away to camp.

 

If they offer, John, take it!

After watching Cole the past two years and watching our team prepare to play the SHS team each time all I heard was how great Cole was and how important it was to keep him off base. Well the hype matched his game. I said earlier that he was a great football player, but after talking to a few college coaches and some area scouts signing to play football would be a big mistake. He is being recruited by Louisville a College World Series finalist and UK academically speaking Vanderbilt and Stanford are way ahead of these schools, but athletically not so much. Cole you are a better football player right now, but how great of a baseball player will you be in 3 years and if you play football the injury chances greatly increase.

Why not play baseball at Vanderbilt? He has the grades and the ability. They were the number 1 team in the nation in baseball most of the season. Just my opinion.

Why not play baseball at Vanderbilt? He has the grades and the ability. They were the number 1 team in the nation in baseball most of the season. Just my opinion.

There is no such thing as a full ride in baseball. All division 1 baseball programs have approximately 11.5 scholarships to divide up amongst the 30 or so players on the team. Most big time baseball players get drafted and start playing professional baseball right out of high school. Unless he is going to get drafted pretty high and put a significant amount of money in the bank, football is the best route financially.

Why not play baseball at Vanderbilt? He has the grades and the ability. They were the number 1 team in the nation in baseball most of the season. Just my opinion.

 

That would be a good choice for him as well but it ultimately is HIS choice and maybe he personally wants to play football and not baseball in college.

Chics dig scars. Yes full baseball money is rarely offered, but take into account academic money and financial aid and the money is there. According to the grades that Cole has it seems that academic money would be maxed out and baseball would work out anywhere he wanted to play. How many people do you know that were drafted out og high school at all especially in our state? Not very many Ben Revere and who else. Some players need to go to college to fine tune their baseball ability. I hope John does what he wants to do, but baseball is a good option and with his grades scholarships would not be a problem and chances are neither would a concussion or worse.

  • Author
Chics dig scars. Yes full baseball money is rarely offered, but take into account academic money and financial aid and the money is there. According to the grades that Cole has it seems that academic money would be maxed out and baseball would work out anywhere he wanted to play. How many people do you know that were drafted out og high school at all especially in our state? Not very many Ben Revere and who else. Some players need to go to college to fine tune their baseball ability. I hope John does what he wants to do, but baseball is a good option and with his grades scholarships would not be a problem and chances are neither would a concussion or worse.

 

Stanford and Vandy are filled with kids with top grades. Therefore, academic money is much more difficult to come by at those schools as compared to others.

You are correct but not many of them run a consistent 4.4 40 yard dash and carry grades as high as Cole's are being reported on here. I did a little checking and according to Chics Did Scars all the really good baseball players are drafted out of High School, yet in the 2007 All Star game 21 players attended college. Including Barry Bonds (Arizona State) 22 High School draftees and 23 foreign born players.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.