June 23, 200719 yr He will be able to suit up for the Vols this winter. UT is the clear favorite in the SEC...
June 23, 200719 yr Author IMO this rule needs to be looked into. Getting a waiver to move closer to your dying father needs examined? Do tell...
June 23, 200719 yr Getting a waiver to move closer to your dying father needs examined? Do tell... Not that part, but that the NCAA basically gets to pick the school....
June 23, 200719 yr Here's something I don't understand. I understand the need to move, but in this case, would the year off from basketball not HELP the kid? If his father is sick and/or possibly dying, what good will it do to be close when you are going to class, practicing and traveling all over the country? Is UT going to leave him at home on road trips? I think it would be best to be close to home, but I think the underlying reasoning is flawed. He's moving closer to home to help out with his father, but he will be busy all the time. I think the year off would have helped the family in this instance, and a year would be enough time to see where his father's health stood. Kudos to the NCAA for letting the transfer go through, but I still question how being home but not being available helps anyone. Seems strange to me....
June 23, 200719 yr ^ Perhaps it is to give his father a better chance to see him play a few more times.
June 23, 200719 yr Here's the reason I'm skeptical. 1) Smith was originally committed to UT. 2) UT hired a new coach (Pearl) who refused to let Smith out of his LOI. 3) Instead of playing for UT, Smith enrolls at Hargrave Military Academy. 4) Hargrave is approximately 9 hours from his hometown and his already diagnosed father (I could be wrong that he was diagnosed at this point, anyone know?) 5) After the mandatory year for not honoring his LOI, Smith enrolls at Iowa. 6) Iowa is approximately 10.5 hours from home. 7) Only after Steve Alford leaves Iowa, does Smith decide he wants to be closer to his father. 8) Vanderbilt is approximately 1.5 hours from his home, Alabama is approximately 3 hours from his home, and UT-Chattanooga is approximately 2.5 hours from his home. 9) Knoxville is approximately 4 hours from his home. Can you blame me for not totally buying his just wanting to be closer to home?
June 23, 200719 yr It's real Shady to be honest but they did the right thing I think. How terrible would they look if they turned him down. UT is going to be down right nasty.
June 23, 200719 yr Author 8) Vanderbilt is approximately 1.5 hours from his home, Alabama is approximately 3 hours from his home, and UT-Chattanooga is approximately 2.5 hours from his home. 9) Knoxville is approximately 4 hours from his home. Just so you know. The family moved over a year ago and now lives less than 90 minutes from UT...
June 23, 200719 yr Just so you know. The family moved over a year ago and now lives less than 90 minutes from UT... Fair enough. I don't blame the NCAA at all. My main beef is that I don't think his father's health played into Tyler's decisions over the previous two years. Now, all of a sudden, he wants to be closer to home, and it just so happens to put him in a better basketball situation.
June 23, 200719 yr I'm skeptical of the circumstances also. I believe that his father has been ill for awhile, and as others stated he seemed fine with being far from home. I just think that this opens a door that the NCAA may not be able to shut. In the future one could just have ill family members move close to the school that they want to transfer to without penalty. After all a precident has been set.
June 24, 200719 yr Here's something I don't understand. I understand the need to move, but in this case, would the year off from basketball not HELP the kid? If his father is sick and/or possibly dying, what good will it do to be close when you are going to class, practicing and traveling all over the country? Is UT going to leave him at home on road trips? I think it would be best to be close to home, but I think the underlying reasoning is flawed. He's moving closer to home to help out with his father, but he will be busy all the time. I think the year off would have helped the family in this instance, and a year would be enough time to see where his father's health stood. Kudos to the NCAA for letting the transfer go through, but I still question how being home but not being available helps anyone. Seems strange to me.... Very fair question.
June 24, 200719 yr Mobaar's cynical view is shared by many. Add in Daddy Cat's observations/questions and you have to scratch your head a bit. I have no clue how good this kid is. He may be a future lottery pick for all I know. He may be a bust. If the ruling was with his ill father in mind, I'm not sure I understand the thinking.
June 24, 200719 yr I thought it was crazy at first to grant him immediate eligibility, but if his father is bad, that is not an area I am willing to be skepticala about. I wish him and his family the best.
June 24, 200719 yr Author I was out front on pointing out how this thing has played out over the years and I wanted to believe it was shady. It still might be. But in the end, I can't blame a kid for going home to be close to his dad. If in the end he played the system I'll deal with my changed feelings then...
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.