Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Gillispie's Elite Camp

Featured Replies

I heard Rondo took part in this camp. That's surprising.

Word is Fortson was abusing him on the way to the rim...

I heard Rondo took part in this camp. That's surprising.
I'll say. On a side note, I hear that Edgar Sosa spoke at Rondo's camp.

from Scott Co. Portwood, Mackey, Lee, Hundley, Phares, and Adams

Someone correct me if I am worng but I don't believe that Jake Jenkins took part in the camp.

Here's the only write-up I could find on the Elite Camp:

 

The big UK news this weekend was of course the UK Elite Camp which took place on campus and at Rupp Arena. The event was not open to the public so we have to rely on second-hand reports from others who were there for various reasons, ranging from working the event to helping with logistics. I received a number of such reports (thanks to all who wrote) and I followed up on some conversations. So after sorting through the info, here is a decent roundup of the events….but keep in mind that all info is secondhand….

 

The biggest question going into the event was just who would be attending. From most reports it looks like Bud Mackey, Jacob Jenkins, Verdell Jones, Demarcus Cousins, GJ Villarino, Courtney Fortson, Dakota Euton and Olek Czyz were all participants at the camp during the weekend. The camp was set up with various exercises and games, and then an "all-star" game at night where 15 players were picked (guess which ones) to play against the current UK squad (minus Jared Carter and Joe Crawford who did not play).

 

Everyone I spoke with said that the man of the camp was Courtney Fortson. Fortson is a dread-wearing short point guard who looks like he should play for UAB, but has quickness that is amazing off the dribble. I saw him at the TOC and was impressed by his play and surprised that I had not heard more made of him. According to on-lookers, Fortson was the star of the show this weekend. In the scrimmage against the UK players, he took everyone guarding him off the dribble and the matchup between him and Jodie Meeks was called by one emailer "as good as an NCAA Tournament game." Fortson will likely be pursued by UK more, and we hope to have him on the show towards the end of the week.

 

Another good review was given of the Polish power forward Olek Czyz, who looked good all weekend. He showed a lot of ability to put the ball in the basket and was said to have surprising atheticism. The third "star" of the camp was UK commitment GJ Vilarino who put on a show, especially on Saturday. Vilarino is being compared to TJ Ford and was said to have acquitted himself well in matchups, including those against Fortson. The two major Kentucky kids at the camp, Dakotah Euton and Jacob Jenkins, were up and down, with Euton having one good game and then being off the next.[/QUOTE]

Jacob Jenkins did not Attend the Camp so your source of Info must not be to Accurate.

There were a few players the UK staff had invited or targeted for the camp that could not attend due to different reasons. I have read reports that Tyler Zeller and perhaps Reeves Nelson were invites and expected to attend that couldn't make the event. Jenkins was invited and may have had a conflicting schedule, not sure. But I did hear he was on campus recently though.

Are these type of "elite" camps" a recent thing? I don't ever remember seeing anything about elite camps in the past but then again I'm not huge on the recruting thing.

Courtney Fortson was the most impressive player at the camp. A few others I know that were there are Tyler Zeller, Chris Singleton and Romero Osby...

 

You sure that those last 3 guys were there? I haven't seen them listed as being their.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.