Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Pitching Limits

Featured Replies

Read it and I won't comment on that total....

 

 

Was that post on that thread wrong? I remember you comenting that you were shocked and obviously unhappy as we all were at the time reading that posted comment.

  • Replies 58
  • Views 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was that post on that thread wrong? I remember you commenting that you were shocked and obviously unhappy as we all were at the time reading that posted comment.
I assumed the totals and innings pitched, were accurate. My dismay, was the total pitches, would even approach a number like 200.
You don't know how bad that ticks me off...
I understand and makes one wonder, if the requirements of common sense, are ever considered.

Once again, without over stating your point, how can any coach go home that evening and feel that he had done the right thing? It's just sad!

  • Author

It's not just coaches...there are people out there who just don't understand..(or choose to ignore it I guess); I've had parents question me when their kid was taken out....when I told them he had reached his pitching limit, they absolutely didn't understand; "...but we could've won if you'd left him in!"....it totally blows my mind! I'll assume parents who didn't compete truly don't understand...coaches and former players should know better!

For the sake of discussion, if a Pitch Count limit is instituted, let's have some criteria....

 

Total Pitch Counts

8th Grade = 55 Pitches (3 days of rest)

Freshmen = 65 Pitches (3 days of rest)

Sophomore = 80 Pitches (3 days of rest)

Junior = 95 Pitches (3 days of rest)

Senior = 105 Pitches (3 days of rest)

Total Limit in 7 Day Period

8th Grade = 100 Pitches (7 calendar days)

Freshmen = 115 Pitches (7 calendar days)

Sophomore = 150 Pitches (7 calendar days)

Junior = 175 Pitches (7 calendar days)

Senior = 195 Pitches (7 calendar days)

 

Should early in season, totals be reduced by 20, until after 3rd start? Thoughts or comments....

I do and a solution to that would be, a third party (Official Scorer or school official), could also track. Plus, the reason to compare after each inning, is to eliminate/agree on pitch counts, before the totals are varying.

 

Having the Umpires sign off, would help eliminate doctoring.

 

Could you not have an umpire in the field (obviously not the one behind the plate) keep a 'clicker' on pitch counts? Then when a pitcher is relieved or the game is over, the ump writes down the number of pitches he counted, clears it, and starts fresh with the new pitcher.

Pitch count is the best way to keep these kids arms from falling off. The good coaches already do this, however, to have both teams compare numbers at the end of the inning would only cause an argument, IMO. If one team has one/two pitches more, who would be right? If I am the team w/the low number, of course, I want my numbers recorded or if I am high do I take the low count? A lot of issues but still pitch count is the best for the kids.

For the sake of discussion, if a Pitch Count limit is instituted, let's have some criteria....

 

Total Pitch Counts

8th Grade = 55 Pitches (3 days of rest)

Freshmen = 65 Pitches (3 days of rest)

Sophomore = 80 Pitches (3 days of rest)

Junior = 95 Pitches (3 days of rest)

Senior = 105 Pitches (3 days of rest)

Total Limit in 7 Day Period

8th Grade = 100 Pitches (7 calendar days)

Freshmen = 115 Pitches (7 calendar days)

Sophomore = 150 Pitches (7 calendar days)

Junior = 175 Pitches (7 calendar days)

Senior = 195 Pitches (7 calendar days)

 

Should early in season, totals be reduced by 20, until after 3rd start? Thoughts or comments....

 

 

I was fortunate to pitch for a long time and these pitch counts are right on. Yes, you definitely need to go easy at the beginning of the season. A few months before the season starts coaches should have their pitchers throwing inside, with pitch counts in mind, so when outside practices start they have been working.

  • Author

Fwiw: The USA Medical and Safety Advisory Committe chaired by Dr. Tracy Ray recommends the following:

13-14 yr old = 75 pitch max in one game / 125 in a week

15-16 yr old = 90 pitch max in one game / 180 in a week

17 -18 yr = 105 in one game / 210 in a week

4 days rest in between for all max'd out counts

There are differing recommendations for days rest per various number of pitchers for each age group; this could be an added problem for high school? In short, however, I would summarize the high school like this:

1-25 pitches 0 days rest required, but no three days in a row

26-45 pitches 1 day rest required

46-65 pitches 2 days rest

66-85 pitches 3 days rest

85-max pitches 4 days rest

Interesting stuff JLMP... Does everyone think that the pitch counts seem high for the younger kids?

  • Author

It goes on to recommend limits per season etc....as well as off day activities limits...there are numerous resources out there by googling 'pitch counts' or "baseball pitch counts" or whatever...the ones I've read all seem to generally agree on the ones I listed with some minor variances. Having coached 12 yr olds and up...I believe the 75 number is a healthy number generally, however, with adolescence and varying degrees of puberty...I've seen 14 year olds that have no business throwing 75 + pitches as their bodies are late bloomers; and 13 year olds who are very developed and would not be harmed at all with that kind of work...

In case they don't HS Coaches should chart ALL pitches and keep totals. Note how many FB's, CV's, SL's and others....Keep total strikes and ball thrown, for each. Keep them for the duration, of a Players career.

 

You'll get reflective numbers, of accuracy and which pitch is working, including how many pitches are thrown. It doesn't take long, if you chart every pitcher, each game.

 

Plus aids, when reviewing what is working with a Pitcher.

Little League is also going to mandatory pitch counts and their numbers match up with someof those posted in the thread.

 

link is http://www.littleleague.org/media/Rule_Changes_09-06.pdf

 

They have info for youth under 10 through 17-18 year olds which would be seniors in high school.:thumb:

They had selected several programs, to test this and reports were sent ot the University of North Carolina. Analysis was conducted and they derived the numbers, based off the input from various leagues and baseball people.

 

This can be done in Kentucky, given the ability to communicate through data bases, KHSAA website and technology. Just has to be a priority, with the right group.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.