Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Pitching Limits

Featured Replies

I understand the limits are in place to protect the safety of the kids primarliy, and I totally agree; however, does innings pitched accomplish that? Pitch counts are the critical numbers. I suppose it's more difficult to administrate, but is that a good enough reason to possibly have a kid throw a ton of pitches in a few innings and be eligible to throw again soon? Something's better than nothing, but I'm curios what the baseball minds here think...and maybe some insight / history on the subject in Ky HS...

  • Replies 58
  • Views 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As stated before, pitch count is a MUCH better indicator but nearly impossible to accurately track. You'd have to require both teams to keep pitch count, some teams are lucky to get the score right in their book...

If the concern, is truly limiting the amount one Pitcher throws, than without question, "pitch counts" are the best option.

 

It could be done, with some coordination and effort. Here's my proposal....Have a Pitch Count Form made and during a game, each team keeps the pitches thrown, by all pitchers (home and away). Comparisons can be done, after each inning, every other inning or as needed.

 

At the conclusion of the game, both teams have the Umpires working, sign the form which indicates number of pitches thrown, by all the pitchers. This form must be carried for the season and presented, to the coaches of the upcoming games.

 

Agree on a pitch limit, for a 7 day period and track. Most teams, chart their own pitches anyway and using a "clicker" to count, is easily done.

If the concern, is truly limiting the amount one Pitcher throws, than without question, "pitch counts" are the best option.

 

It could be done, with some coordination and effort. Here's my proposal....Have a Pitch Count Form made and during a game, each team keeps the pitches thrown, by all pitchers (home and away). Comparisons can be done, after each inning, every other inning or as needed.

 

At the conclusion of the game, both teams have the Umpires working, sign the form which indicates number of pitches thrown, by all the pitchers. This form must be carried for the season and presented, to the coaches of the upcoming games.

 

Agree on a pitch limit, for a 7 day period and track. Most teams, chart their own pitches anyway and using a "clicker" to count, is easily done.

 

It could be done and I agree with your idea. However, no way the KHSAA tries to adopt something like that. Not saying anyone would, but to me it seems to easy to 'doctor'.

 

For example, if Team A has a kid at 65 and Team B has him at 60, whose do you take? An average? If that's the case Team A can always say 60 if they know Team B is going to have 65, giving an average of 63 pitches. 65 pitches may be the cutoff between 2 and 3 days rest...

 

Feel me?

It could be done and I agree with your idea. However, no way the KHSAA tries to adopt something like that. Not saying anyone would, but to me it seems to easy to 'doctor'.

 

For example, if Team A has a kid at 65 and Team B has him at 60, whose do you take? An average? If that's the case Team A can always say 60 if they know Team B is going to have 65, giving an average of 63 pitches. 65 pitches may be the cutoff between 2 and 3 days rest...

 

Feel me?

I do and a solution to that would be, a third party (Official Scorer or school official), could also track. Plus, the reason to compare after each inning, is to eliminate/agree on pitch counts, before the totals are varying.

 

Having the Umpires sign off, would help eliminate doctoring.

I do and a solution to that would be, a third party (Official Scorer or school official), could also track. Plus, the reason to compare after each inning, is to eliminate/agree on pitch counts, before the totals are varying.

 

Having the Umpires sign off, would help eliminate doctoring.

 

I think it would be worth a week of trial at the JV level...

I think it would be worth a week of trial at the JV level...
Excellent idea and could be tested during JV, like you say or during scrimmages, prior to the season.

 

Documents noted and submitted, to Assigning Secretaries of each Region and Coaches of schools, in upcoming games.

  • Author

The summer Southwest Ohio League does this exact thing...there are minor discrepencies at times, but they are brought to a head quickly and resolved...the tougher part is getting the information documented each night....we would probably need a central internet sight or logging station so that we would have up to date information at the beginnng of each day....(I don't think that is a deal breaker in today's world)...

The summer Southwest Ohio League does this exact thing...there are minor discrepancies at times, but they are brought to a head quickly and resolved...the tougher part is getting the information documented each night....we would probably need a central internet sight or logging station so that we would have up to date information at the beginning of each day....(I don't think that is a deal breaker in today's world)...
It could be done, in 2-3 minutes tops. The KHSAA could have a separate data base, where pitchers of record are logged in for each team, like when reporting scores.

 

This would give any coach, a chance to view the totals. Nothing is impossible and if the true intent, is "eliminate overuse" a Pitch Count can be instituted.

 

I may just run the idea by Julian and see what he thinks....

If the concern, is truly limiting the amount one Pitcher throws, than without question, "pitch counts" are the best option.

 

It could be done, with some coordination and effort. Here's my proposal....Have a Pitch Count Form made and during a game, each team keeps the pitches thrown, by all pitchers (home and away). Comparisons can be done, after each inning, every other inning or as needed.

 

At the conclusion of the game, both teams have the Umpires working, sign the form which indicates number of pitches thrown, by all the pitchers. This form must be carried for the season and presented, to the coaches of the upcoming games.

 

Agree on a pitch limit, for a 7 day period and track. Most teams, chart their own pitches anyway and using a "clicker" to count, is easily done.

 

 

 

It's a real good idea when you hear (on one of the threads a couple of weeks ago) about one kid this year in a disrict game throwing 200 pitches in 4 innings.

It's a real good idea when you hear (on one of the threads a couple of weeks ago) about one kid this year in a district game throwing 200 pitches in 4 innings.
Read it and I won't comment on that total....
  • Author
Read it and I won't comment on that total....

 

 

...meaning it's not accurate or you'd just rather leave it alone?

Anyway, I don't carry a 'clicker' around with me to these games, but I know there are a couple of games I've attended where a kid was easily at 140-160! If we really intend to protect arms; pitch counts must be part of the process imo...

Read it and I won't comment on that total....

 

HOLY CRAP!!!:madman: :madman: :madman:

 

S3...at least they're "qualified"...:rolleyes:

...meaning it's not accurate or you'd just rather leave it alone?

Anyway, I don't carry a 'clicker' around with me to these games, but I know there are a couple of games I've attended where a kid was easily at 140-160! If we really intend to protect arms; pitch counts must be part of the process imo...

Meaning, if any pitcher threw 200 pitches, in a 4 inning game....I'd rather not offer my true opinion, in a public forum.

 

HOLY CRAP!!!:madman: :madman: :madman:

 

S3...at least they're "qualified"...:rolleyes:

I almost fell out of my chair....:lol:

I almost fell out of my chair....:lol:

 

You don't know how bad that ticks me off...

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.