Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Question on a Pitchers' Glove color

Featured Replies

I've seen recently, since Tournament play began, several instances of Umpires declaring a pitchers glove, be removed.

 

I thought I was fairly clear on the Rule, regarding color. I'm not going to mention what Region but I saw a glove with different color label (brand logo), than the glove itself, be removed....By the Umpire. I believe it was a black glove, with a red logo....

 

Has anyone else, seen this happen? Has a Rule changed....

I've seen recently, since Tournament play began, several instances of Umpires declaring a pitchers glove, be removed.

 

I thought I was fairly clear on the Rule, regarding color. I'm not going to mention what Region but I saw a glove with different color label (brand logo), than the glove itself, be removed....By the Umpire. I believe it was a black glove, with a red logo....

 

Has anyone else, seen this happen? Has a Rule changed....

 

Isn't the ruling just that the leather of the glove has to be all one color?

  • Author
Isn't the ruling just that the leather of the glove has to be all one color?
It can't be grey but the colors, can be similar....Brown and tan.

 

This is a black glove, with a sewn manufactures logo, on the back of the hand rest, where 90% of gloves, have their logo....He basically indicated, differing colors and was illegal.

 

If that's the case, almost all glove manufactures, have different color logos, than the actual color of the glove.

This is a black glove, with a sewn manufactures logo, on the back of the hand rest, where 90% of gloves, have their logo....He basically indicated, differing colors and was illegal.

 

If that's the case, almost all glove manufactures, have different color logos, than the actual color of the glove.

 

That would practically make all Rawlings' gloves illegal then.

I thought no more than two colors........

I've seen recently, since Tournament play began, several instances of Umpires declaring a pitchers glove, be removed.

 

I thought I was fairly clear on the Rule, regarding color. I'm not going to mention what Region but I saw a glove with different color label (brand logo), than the glove itself, be removed....By the Umpire. I believe it was a black glove, with a red logo....

 

Has anyone else, seen this happen? Has a Rule changed....

Rule has changed back and forth over the last few years. I think last year, 2006, was the last year that you could NOT have a multi color glove(brown and tan for instance). If I'm not mistaken the current rule is that the glove can not contain any white or grey. Other than that any and all colors are legal.

Rule has changed back and forth over the last few years. I think last year, 2006, was the last year that you could NOT have a multi color glove(brown and tan for instance). If I'm not mistaken the current rule is that the glove can not contain any white or grey. Other than that any and all colors are legal.

Old Raider is right. The glove simply cannot contain white or grey, even in the manufacturer's lettering / logo. That flash of bright color is viewed by the national rulesmakers as potentially distracting to the batter and an unfair advantage. Color of the glove body not as relevant as eliminating white and grey. From what I know.

That label is nothing a black sharpie can't take care of.

 

The only problem I have is that if it is against the rules, then enforce the entire year, don't wait until tournament time.

  • Author
That label is nothing a black sharpie can't take care of.

 

The only problem I have is that if it is against the rules, then enforce the entire year, don't wait until tournament time.

I agree and even better, someone get with the manufacturers' and make them aware, if this is an issue.

I too have seen players with gloves that have a red label on a black glove and the coach has just made them color it in with a black marker to eliminate the problem. I'm not sure that many people are aware of this rule and it seems that umpires (especially in the postseason) like to nitpick the rules a bit more for some reason. I don't see why a color is a problem unless it is white or grey but if it is in the rules it is the rule and I agree should be called all season long.

Your umpire misinterpreted the rule and "mis-enforced" something that was a point of emphasis at all of the Regional meetings before the season began. Labels are irrelevant unless it is an obvious distraction due to the use of white or grey coloring that is plainly noticeable. Gloves may be of any color combination as long as it does not contain white or grey. The only other rule that was emphasized was to not allow long tassles or strings to hang from the pitchers' glove and create a distraction to the batter.

I've played baseball all of my life and have now started coaching some too. Are those things (labels on gloves or long strings) really distracting for hitters?

I was always focusing on the ball in the pitchers hand and not on his glove so maybe I just never noticed.

  • Author
Your umpire misinterpreted the rule and "mis-enforced" something that was a point of emphasis at all of the Regional meetings before the season began. Labels are irrelevant unless it is an obvious distraction due to the use of white or grey coloring that is plainly noticeable. Gloves may be of any color combination as long as it does not contain white or grey. The only other rule that was emphasized was to not allow long tassles or strings to hang from the pitchers' glove and create a distraction to the batter.
This was my understanding, completely. I also thought, the opposing team had to mention the distraction but not just at the Umpires discretion.

Does anyone remember when Rocket had to get rid of the white 300 patch on his mitt a few years back?

Last year at CCH a pitchr was made to switch gloves by the home plate umpire because his glove was black and tan. The only time I've seen it happen. Umpire said it was distracting to the hitter. Sounds like it is up to the ump.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.