May 18, 200719 yr I'm sure he means it. Look at the rankings and the players now interested in UK. He's going after the best of the best. He will land some and miss on some others. The difference now is the back up plans are still highly ranked talent. Truth be told, the mid level players flop far more often, and you know that... I understand that, just felt the comment was made to pander. Do you think he really EXPECTS to have 13 McD's AA on the team? Do you think he believes that will happen?
May 18, 200719 yr I understand that, just felt the comment was made to pander. Do you think he really EXPECTS to have 13 McD's AA on the team? Do you think he believes that will happen? Coaches are quite the egotistical lot. I'm sure that's the goal. We all know it isn't likely, but the top programs always seem to have 2 or 3 burger boys every year. That equates to a roster full...
May 18, 200719 yr I understand that, just felt the comment was made to pander. Do you think he really EXPECTS to have 13 McD's AA on the team? Do you think he believes that will happen? Does he expect it? No. But any coach would kill for that. Give me 13 All-Americans vs. 13 "over-looked" (albeit great) players like Lofton any day of the week. Lofton is a very unique case and as it was exhibited in his recruiting, the big programs don't go after players like him. Yes, they (big programs, especially UK of late) have seen the player he has become but you can't use that as a reason to not pursue the McD's AA's.
May 18, 200719 yr Problem with relying on solely on McD's AA's is you can't build a program. They last usually 1-2 years before they are looking to move on. The constant movement of players will produce years like UCONN had this past year where they couldn't make the NIT field. Imagine where Billy G's head would be placed if UK misses the NIT field. I think a sprinkling of role players and stars is the best route. Even in 1996, role players of Epps, Pope, etc helped to make that team as great as it was.
May 18, 200719 yr He didn't say he planned to have 13 McDonald's AA's on the team at once, he said you wouldn't hear him say the roster was complete until he had that... Meaning he's not going to sleep now even though we have the 07 class pretty much set. Sounds promising to me.. You probably won’t ever hear me say it’s complete until we have 13 McDonalds’ All-Americans, and they’ve already played for two or three years, and we have 13 more coming in. Complete is a term that I guess you could say just about anything.
May 18, 200719 yr I understand that, just felt the comment was made to pander. Do you think he really EXPECTS to have 13 McD's AA on the team? Do you think he believes that will happen? No, he doesn't expect that. BCG understands that most of the Tubby criticism dealt w/ recruiting. He made that statement--I think--to show people that recruiting is at the top of his list.
May 18, 200719 yr I take it to mean, he's never going to get complacent or satisfied, because you can always be better and improve and thats especially true in recruiting... The PG he signed for 09, isn't a MCD AA and may be in the 100-150 range as a recruit, so, I'm sure he has his own take on talent other than where Rivals or Scout has a player ranked.. We'll just have to trust that he'll have a nice mix of 1-2 and gonners with the 4 yr players..
May 18, 200719 yr I just don't trust comments made by people that are made that are unrealistic and not what he will even plan on actually doing as shown by his recruits for future years. If he is going to hyperbole here and not mean what he is saying, when else is he doing it. Just tell me the truth and be done with it. That is the way I like it. Honest, truthful and realistic evaluations.
May 18, 200719 yr What's he lying about? He said he won't call his roster complete unless he has 13 All Americans with 13 more coming in... Not a realistic statement and he knows it... Just a roundabout way of saying "I don't plan on letting up anytime soon."
May 18, 200719 yr What's he lying about? He said he won't call his roster complete unless he has 13 All Americans with 13 more coming in... Not a realistic statement and he knows it... Just a roundabout way of saying "I don't plan on letting up anytime soon." Not lying but just, IMO, being disingenious. It is like him saying, if we don't win the National title every year for the next 10 years than I will just keep working harder. Whatever. Coachspeak that wastes everyone's time. I would prefer to know, as he did, what he is looking for. I loved hearing him talk about the physical traits and the perfect power forward physical wise that he is. Now to me, that is educational to the fan. That is interesting to the fan. While the 13 McD's comment is blowing smoke up our keysters and appeals to only the worse of the UK fans.
May 18, 200719 yr I'm just taking the comment as a guy saying he'll never let up and wants to get all the best players he can possibly get... I suppose you can take it however you want.
May 18, 200719 yr What about the irony of everyone talking about how Patterson should just make his announcement and get it over with, and Gillispie talking all through the presser about how he was very grateful he waited until the last second? :lol:
May 18, 200719 yr Not lying but just, IMO, being disingenious. It is like him saying, if we don't win the National title every year for the next 10 years than I will just keep working harder. Whatever. Coachspeak that wastes everyone's time. I would prefer to know, as he did, what he is looking for. I loved hearing him talk about the physical traits and the perfect power forward physical wise that he is. Now to me, that is educational to the fan. That is interesting to the fan. While the 13 McD's comment is blowing smoke up our keysters and appeals to only the worse of the UK fans. You are blowing this way out of proportion... He is going to go after the best players available that best fit his system and needs. Nothing wrong with that. Would you prefer him to say, hey we need a Center, but, the Top 3 available may bolt after a year, so, I'm going to go after this 92nd ranked guy with a good upside instead...How well would that go over with the fans? Like it or not, alot of his job is politics and everything he says will disected and twisted just like this statement is being now...
May 18, 200719 yr I'm just taking the comment as a guy saying he'll never let up and wants to get all the best players he can possibly get... I suppose you can take it however you want. I guess I personally am a little too sensitive to that comment because in my family UK should get every McD AA and unless you are getting them, then they can't play.:irked: And I believe there are UK fans out there that this only feeds their ignorance that only these recruiting services and McD's AA list are good players. And then players like Chris Lofton don't get the attention and recruitment they should have gotten. I just felt that this comment fed the ignorance of some UK fans that think McD's is the only way to go. And for the person that said he would take 13 McD's AA over 13 nots, I counter with would you take 13 Ramal Bradleys and Crawfords over 13 Chris Lofton's?
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.