May 15, 200719 yr Donovan signs Lucas on Monday. Donovan signs Patterson on Wednesday. In the near future he jumps to the league. Florida agrees to the standard LOI release for the players, which includes no release to conference teams. Not because Florida cares so much about basketball, but basically as a gut punch for all the talk that Kentucky could take their coach anytime they wanted. That sounds like some of the scenario's UK fans come up with.
May 15, 200719 yr I never said anything about anyone breaking their leg... :lol: (although if that happened, I do imagine some boosters might hire people to tune Billy D up a little.)
May 15, 200719 yr I never said anything about anyone breaking their leg... :lol: (although if that happened, I do imagine some boosters might hire people to tune Billy D up a little.) That was a wish not a scenario. :lol:
May 15, 200719 yr If he bolts to the Magic I blame nobody but Lucas and PPat if he signs there too. They knew he was talking to the Memphis and they should know he is intersted in the NBA. I wouldn't want them coming here as a second option either. All or none. Orlando is pretty closed to Gainesville.......
May 15, 200719 yr Donovan signs Lucas on Monday. Donovan signs Patterson on Wednesday. In the near future he jumps to the league. Florida agrees to the standard LOI release for the players, which includes no release to conference teams. Not because Florida cares so much about basketball, but basically as a gut punch for all the talk that Kentucky could take their coach anytime they wanted. Quite amusing but factually inaccurate. No conditions can be placed on a kid when you release them from a Letter of Intent. When you release them, they are free to go anywhere. It is not anything like releasing a kid from scholarship. Here is a snippet on Donovan and the Magic. http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_magic/2007/05/top_recruits_wo.html
May 15, 200719 yr Actually, I am not surprised a contract extension hasn't been signed or made public. Maybe that comes tomorrow and yet he still can talk to the Magic.
May 15, 200719 yr Like him or not, Donovan knows how to be a business man and keep his stock high....
May 16, 200719 yr Well Lucas knew of this danger when he signed his name. So basically, no one can feel bad for this guy at all. If these guys signing with UF doesnt know that Donovan is NBA bound, then they choose not to. Also, if UF would release Lucas's LOI, I wouldnt want him at UK anymore anyway.
May 16, 200719 yr He owes it to himself to sit down and have a meeting, just to see what his value is.
May 16, 200719 yr The thing is, your stock as a coach will never get higher than it is right now. You are the hot thing AT THIS VERY MOMENT. 2 straight Nat. Titles. Hard to top that. Next year is a reload/rebuild year, no matter who does or does not sign. Strike while the iron is hot and you are a solid commodity. Who knows what could happen if you decide to wait a year or two for the NBA. I really don't see Donovan as the Gator coach more than one more season, but I don't think he'll be around for the first practice with the Gators this season. if he really wants to coach in the NBA, he'll leave soon because of the leverage he now has. Lucas and probably PP are soon about to learn a lesson about the big time business that college sports are, IMO. I think they'll both be Gators, but I think that Billy D. will be the guy that got them there, but will not be the guy that coaches them there.
May 16, 200719 yr How cruel would that be to Lucas after taking this long to decide, and then Donovan jumps ship right after he signs. It would remind me of the candy bar commercial where the guy is bragging about his Hummer and then smashes it into a wall. The punch line - "ever heard a more satisfying crunch?"
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.