70 members have voted

1. 1. Who was the better team in 2000?

• Fort Thomas Highlands Bluebirds
    • Louisville Male Bulldogs

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it would have been a very good game. I know that HHS lost to Cincy Elder by 7 early in the season. Who beat Male that year, when was it, and by how much?

One thing that would be a little concerning to HHS for such a matchup... I remember that HHS' defense gave up quite a few points to Owensboro in the title game (the Birds scored a lot, too). Maybe HHS' defense had a bit of an off day, or maybe O's offense was really that good, but I'd have to think that Male would be able to get some points on the board against the Birds... so would HHS' offense be able to score a lot on Male?... that is the question!

Not too familiar with Male that year, but I know Highlands was absolutley loaded and destroyed Holmes 81-0 that year who had Brandent Englemon (Michigan), James Jackson (Louisville), and several other small D1 recruits.

Gino was just a man among boys along with Smith, Hamblen, and Glover. That Highlands team was very impressive and I think the least amount of points they scored that year (vs Ky competition) was 35 on CCH.

so would HHS' offense be able to score a lot on Male?... that is the question!

It certainly is the question. The H offense that season was terrifyingly good. Bush and Jones on either side with Spencer and Barclay coming out of the backfield... yikes. Even with blinding snow throughout the state game that year, the offense was more than formidable.

I have to give Male an edge in this one. That squad was the best collection of pure, gifted athletes I've ever seen in Kentucky high school sports.