April 5, 200719 yr While listening to The Reds game, Marty B. said...He's sure it will be Rick Barnes. I will take Marty's word, and begin my Mr. Barnes research.
April 5, 200719 yr That's been the view some of us have held for some time ... there is no guarantee that Kentucky can land a coach that is appreciably better than Tubby Smith. Sometimes fans need to be careful what they wish for ... I am still very happy for UK and Tubby that he left.
April 5, 200719 yr Calipari was on Rome is Burning yesterday. They talked about the UK job at lenght. I was really impressed by JC's take on things. Wish I had a transcript to post. I would support him as the next UK coach.
April 5, 200719 yr A lot of the coaches being named as possible candidates are not upgrades from Tubby!:confused: And it'll be hard to get an upgrade....Remember, Tubby left on his own accord, albeit, fans weren't happy, but, still on his own...Hopefully, we can someone of equal ability and a little better on the recruiting side...
April 5, 200719 yr That's been the view some of us have held for some time ... there is no guarantee that Kentucky can land a coach that is appreciably better than Tubby Smith. Sometimes fans need to be careful what they wish for ... Nobody doubts that Tubby is a great coach, however he is a less than average recruiter and if you can't recruit at UK where can you?
April 5, 200719 yr Anyone other than Gillispie IMO will be a lateral move at best.....Anyone actually suprised Billy D. said no? I know I'm not.
April 5, 200719 yr Tubby was a very good coach and there may not be more than 4-5 better than him in the college ranks. Only time will tell if UK is lucky enough to land one or not. Tubby is a very good coach. But there are a dozen coaches better and several just as good. The list of better and as good is pretty long. Tubby is a specialist in certain avenues of the game and not so much at others.
April 5, 200719 yr I'm going to say Rick Barnes by Monday. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
April 5, 200719 yr I'm hoping for Matta, but have this sinking feeling that it will be Barnes. He can recruit, but then what?
April 5, 200719 yr Just curious if anyone knows how many coaches during Tubbys tenure recruited more McDonalds All Americans than he did?
April 5, 200719 yr But there are a dozen coaches better and several just as good. The list of better and as good is pretty long. OK, then who are they ... and can Kentucky hire any of them away from their current gig?
April 5, 200719 yr OK, then who are they ... and can Kentucky hire any of them away from their current gig? Your 2nd comment is the key...:thumb: Coach K - wouldn't come R.Williams - wouldn't come T.Izzo - wouldn't come B.Self - wouldn't come B.Howland - wouldn't come J.Calipari - ??? R.Pitino - wouldn't come B.Gillespie - ??? T.Matta - ??? B.Donovan - wouldn't come B.Pearl - ??? M.Few - ??? T.Crean - ??? R.Barnes - ??? B.Knight - wouldn't come These are about the only ones I can think of on even terms or better and over 1/2 wouldn't even consider leaving there current positions...
April 5, 200719 yr I don't know his name, but the coach at Oregon plays an uptempo style and Barnhart has ties in that area. What does anyone think about that hire? His major drawback is a lack of national appeal and bigtime expectations.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.