April 3, 200719 yr How many titles did Ron Zook win? No SEC titles, no national championships. I'm pretty sure he never even won a bowl game. What was his W-L at Florida? 8-5, 8-5, 7-5. Why compare him to a WINNER like Orlando Tubby Smith? Maybe he wouldn't recruit or didn't get his players into shape then blamed it on his PG. OR did he play his son at QB?
April 3, 200719 yr So is Billy Donovan a liar, or have your sources and UK made a deal with somone other than Billy, being that he had not spoken with them yet. ...hey Packer is on Rome right now. I bet the word Prolific has been worn out. I think I will go throw up now.
April 3, 200719 yr I really didn't notice Digger was more loudly dressed than usual. I've always suspected he likes to shop at "Pimps R' Us".Didn't they merge with the former Bama coach and they now call the shop "Wimps and Pimps" ? (No Plaid Too Loud, No Tie Too Wide)
April 3, 200719 yr How many titles did Ron Zook win? No SEC titles, no national championships. I'm pretty sure he never even won a bowl game. What was his W-L at Florida? 8-5, 8-5, 7-5. Why compare him to a WINNER like Orlando Tubby Smith? 20- 12 for Tubby and 8-5 for Zook...I think that is about the same difference, they both were WINNERS and the fans gave them both the boot...
April 3, 200719 yr Didn't they merge with the former Bama coach and they now call the shop "Wimps and Pimps" ? (No Plaid Too Loud, No Tie Too Wide) :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I'm pretty sure we have just insulted pimps the world over...
April 3, 200719 yr I bet the word Prolific has been worn out. I think I will go throw up now. Now that's funny.
April 3, 200719 yr I really didn't notice Digger was more loudly dressed than usual. I've always suspected he likes to shop at "Pimps R' Us". Each night his highlighter matched his tie. One night was pink. Another was bright green. Last night was purple. First time I've seen something like that.
April 3, 200719 yr How many titles did Ron Zook win? No SEC titles, no national championships. I'm pretty sure he never even won a bowl game. What was his W-L at Florida? 8-5, 8-5, 7-5. Why compare him to a WINNER like Orlando Tubby Smith? I will give Tubby the National Championship even though Pitino could have won back to back if he would have had Jeff Sheppard play in 97 his true senior year instead of letting Tubby get the best player on his team for the 98run. But on the SEC lets no kid ourselves. SEC football to SEC basketball can not even be in the same arguement especially SEC basketball back in the late 90's and early 2000's. Ron Zook took a national power and made them a consistent top 40 team in the nation at Florida if not better than that. Tubby took a back to back NCAA finalist and made them a consistent top 40 team in the nation. Tubby also got many more years on the job then Zook. If I'm not mistaken Florida's starting quarterback for this years national championship team Chris Leak was brought in by Zook. What recruit has Tubby landed that big? No one could tell me if there was a 64 or 65 team tournament in football that Ron Zook couldn't have gotten Florida to a few elite 8's in about a decade period of time with all the talent that comes to that school. That is Tubby's saving grace. My big point is the Florida faithful can be as ruthless if not more than UK. They want wins and nothing else.
April 3, 200719 yr Author I'm just tired of hearing how Florida is a fairy tale land of peaches and cream and UK is like turning to the Dark Side. Florida had a website about firing Ron Zook before anyone ever came up with the idea and now Zook is at a Big Ten school being poor at best about like what Tubby will do at Minnesota. I understand Tubby is his friend but at the same time he has a job to do and to say Tubby got a raw deal if full of it. Florida ran Zook off in football as harsh as anyone can be treated but Vitale is not smart enough to think about football even though these are the same fans. Good post!!
April 3, 200719 yr Author Everyone keeps talking about UK offering Donavan 3.5 or 3.8 million a year as salary. I don't think that could be true as a yearly base salary. All of the big coaches in the NCAA have incentives, bonuses, and endorsements in their contract to gain extra money but they all have a yearly salary at that is what most people are speaking of when they ask about a coaches salary. If UK does offer Donavan 3.8 million, like was stated earlier, that would be more than $1.6 million more than any other coach in the country and I just don't see that as a yearly salary. Maybe as a potential salary through incentives but I wouldn't think as guaranteed salary. Tubby had the highest salary of any coach in the country when he was with UK with 2.2 million a year. The coach who made the most money through bonuses, incentives, and endorsements was Tom Izzo who made over $7 million last year. I just don't think UK could offer that much of guaranteed money to Donavan or anyone else.
April 4, 200719 yr I will give Tubby the National Championship even though Pitino could have won back to back if he would have had Jeff Sheppard play in 97 his true senior year instead of letting Tubby get the best player on his team for the 98run. But on the SEC lets no kid ourselves. SEC football to SEC basketball can not even be in the same arguement especially SEC basketball back in the late 90's and early 2000's. Ron Zook took a national power and made them a consistent top 40 team in the nation at Florida if not better than that. Tubby took a back to back NCAA finalist and made them a consistent top 40 team in the nation. Tubby also got many more years on the job then Zook. If I'm not mistaken Florida's starting quarterback for this years national championship team Chris Leak was brought in by Zook. What recruit has Tubby landed that big? No one could tell me if there was a 64 or 65 team tournament in football that Ron Zook couldn't have gotten Florida to a few elite 8's in about a decade period of time with all the talent that comes to that school. That is Tubby's saving grace. My big point is the Florida faithful can be as ruthless if not more than UK. They want wins and nothing else. And Tubby Smith provided wins. Most of your post seems to be "don't compare apples and oranges." I agree.
April 4, 200719 yr Author I will give Tubby the National Championship even though Pitino could have won back to back if he would have had Jeff Sheppard play in 97 his true senior year instead of letting Tubby get the best player on his team for the 98run. But on the SEC lets no kid ourselves. SEC football to SEC basketball can not even be in the same arguement especially SEC basketball back in the late 90's and early 2000's. Ron Zook took a national power and made them a consistent top 40 team in the nation at Florida if not better than that. Tubby took a back to back NCAA finalist and made them a consistent top 40 team in the nation. Tubby also got many more years on the job then Zook. If I'm not mistaken Florida's starting quarterback for this years national championship team Chris Leak was brought in by Zook. What recruit has Tubby landed that big? No one could tell me if there was a 64 or 65 team tournament in football that Ron Zook couldn't have gotten Florida to a few elite 8's in about a decade period of time with all the talent that comes to that school. That is Tubby's saving grace. My big point is the Florida faithful can be as ruthless if not more than UK. They want wins and nothing else. Pitino would have won back to back national championships if he would have played Derek Anderson who WAS ready to play come tourney time but Pitino said he didn't want to take a chance on his future NBA career. The Cats would have ran right through Simon, Bibby, and the rest of Arizona if Anderson would have played.
April 4, 200719 yr Duke Vitale giving Kentucky any kind of support would be something out of the ordinary. He was good friends with Tubby, and that is basically the only reason he gave any kind words to the Cats in the past few years. Now after Tubby jumped to the bottom of the Big Ten, it has been nothing but a total rip fest when it comes to Dickie V and UK. Since Tubby's departure, Vitale has really earned his first name when it has come to UK fans. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
April 4, 200719 yr Author Everyone keeps talking about UK offering Donavan 3.5 or 3.8 million a year as salary. I don't think that could be true as a yearly base salary. All of the big coaches in the NCAA have incentives, bonuses, and endorsements in their contract to gain extra money but they all have a yearly salary at that is what most people are speaking of when they ask about a coaches salary. If UK does offer Donavan 3.8 million, like was stated earlier, that would be more than $1.6 million more than any other coach in the country and I just don't see that as a yearly salary. Maybe as a potential salary through incentives but I wouldn't think as guaranteed salary. Tubby had the highest salary of any coach in the country when he was with UK with 2.2 million a year. The coach who made the most money through bonuses, incentives, and endorsements was Tom Izzo who made over $7 million last year. I just don't think UK could offer that much of guaranteed money to Donavan or anyone else. I need to fix something in this post of mine which is a bit off...... If UK offers Donavan 3.8 million a year in salary, it would be $2 million more than the next highest paid coach which is Thad Matta and Rick Barnes. It would have been $1.6 million more than what Tubby made while at UK. I just think these numbers everyone keeps mentioning are a bit exaggerated. With performance incentives and bonuses included this offered salary could very well possibly reach those numbers but I doubt it could be a guaranteed salary offer.
April 4, 200719 yr I need to fix something in this post of mine which is a bit off...... If UK offers Donavan 3.8 million a year in salary, it would be $2 million more than the next highest paid coach which is Thad Matta and Rick Barnes. It would have been $1.6 million more than what Tubby made while at UK. I just think these numbers everyone keeps mentioning are a bit exaggerated. With performance incentives and bonuses included this offered salary could very well possibly reach those numbers but I doubt it could be a guaranteed salary offer. The ESPN article quoted 2.8 as the minimum and 3.5 as the incentive max.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.