Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

2007 Somerset

Featured Replies

What does Somerset need to do to improve in 2007? What do they need to keep doing to be successful? Remember, please be constructive.

Somerset will be returning 5 starters on Offense and 4 on Defense. They will be under the arm of Senior Chase Hall and Kenny Hughes will be carrying the load out of the backfield as he did much of last year. The O-line loses 3 starters but most of the players who will be filling those spots have Varsity experience. The recieving core will be just as strong as last year with Seniors John Cole and John Coomer. The Defense lost all 3 starters on the front line and linebacker Cam Jones along with 3 of the DBs. The defense will be lead this year by linebacker Kenny Hughes. The D-Line will be the biggest question mark on the defense. The Defensive Secondary will have Cole returning but will need 3 other people to step up and be key players in the secondary. Hopefully the Jumpers can have another successful run at a Regional Championship! Good Luck!

Numbers seem to be the big question mark for the Jumpers early. Not many out for spring practice. From what I saw there were right at 20 there counting the baseball players.

Numbers seem to be the big question mark for the Jumpers early. Not many out for spring practice. From what I saw there were right at 20 there counting the baseball players.

Numbers will be fine this year, hearing around 40. Not bad considering the Junior class next year only has 4 players. The addition of Chase Hall, Chad Shoemaker, and Chris Fitzpatrick returning is a pleasant addition for Coach Cobb. Chase will no doubt be the QB, look for Shoemaker to fill in at the 3rd LB spot and Fitzpatrick to fill in at safety.

Numbers will be the key, Coach Cobb told the Middle School Players that the magic number for a school our size was around 50-60 players. We have a good sized Soph. class coming back and two large (by SHS standards) classes at the middle school right now, around 17-18 kids each, that will be freshmen and 8th graders. I know I am talking more about the future than next year.

 

With a couple of key kids returning to football this year SHS should compete for both the district and region titles this year. I personally am just looking forward to watching John Cole one last year.

With a couple of key kids returning to football this year SHS should compete for both the district and region titles this year. I personally am just looking forward to watching John Cole one last year.

 

I too am looking forward to watching him play another year. The question is.. Can he still have another great season with out a great quarterback as in Ross Deaton. I am not downing Chase Hall at all, just saying that Ross could get the ball to John whether he was burning someone down the sideline of being double covered across. Does Chase have a strong enough arm to get the ball down the field? Does he have the field vision?

Chase's sophomore year he got in quite a bit at the Q.B. position and I felt like he used his tight-ends and backs better than Ross. Chase led some big drives in the Lynn camp game and had a good series or 2 against N.C.C.. I do not know about his arm strength but it seems like he has a rocket as a catcher playing for the baseball team. I think the quarterback spot is good this year and for the next few for the Jumpers.

J-1 I still do not see those numbers, I hope you are right about the 40 or so. You are absolutley correct in Fitzpatrick and Shoemaker coming out will help us. Fitz, I believe will be a threat at reciever also. He is an all around athlete.

I am looking forward to John's senior year. What a pleasure to watch on a football field. I wish he could put on about 20 poinds and maintain that speed, quickness and agility!!!

J-1 I still do not see those numbers, I hope you are right about the 40 or so.

I was just going on what Coach Slone and Coach Cobb told me. I think the numbers will be fine, I say 35 will be more like it after some drop throughout practice.

Chase's sophomore year he got in quite a bit at the Q.B. position and I felt like he used his tight-ends and backs better than Ross. Chase led some big drives in the Lynn camp game and had a good series or 2 against N.C.C.. I do not know about his arm strength but it seems like he has a rocket as a catcher playing for the baseball team. I think the quarterback spot is good this year and for the next few for the Jumpers.

J-1 I still do not see those numbers, I hope you are right about the 40 or so. You are absolutley correct in Fitzpatrick and Shoemaker coming out will help us. Fitz, I believe will be a threat at reciever also. He is an all around athlete.

I am looking forward to John's senior year. What a pleasure to watch on a football field. I wish he could put on about 20 poinds and maintain that speed, quickness and agility!!!

 

John Cole doesn't need 20 pounds he is very big up close and a strong athlete he is I believe 3rd or 4th on the team in bench. He is very quick and does everything as hard as he can. He doesnt need weight he needs height about 2 more inches with his speed he would by far be the best. Chase Hall has also gotten stronger he will be fine in the quarterback spot. Kenny Hughes will probably be doing the work out of the backfield much like last year. John Coomer should even be better then last year. Toward the end of the season you saw how good he is. John Cole of course at the other side who will be there offensive weapon. The 2 Senior linemen who have played since there sophomore year. Tyler Cobb at center and Jordan Gossett at tackle will lead the group up front. Expect Michael Phelps to start at the other tackle spot. Then all the sophomores will make up the rest. You dont know what you will see maybe Billy Roberts, Jake Williams, Cody Smith, or Andrew Salmons. CJ Megargel should have a very good year at the Tight End position. He is a very good blocker that can come out and catch passes. This is usually the strong point of the Jumpers and I dont see why the line can't be this year. You know they will be very well coached. The defensive side is a little harder to fix. The D Line will consist of Will Wilson, Michael Phelps, CJ Megargel, Tyler Cobb, Jordan Gossett, and Billy Roberts will all be in the mix going into the season. The Linbacker spots will be filled by Kenny Hughes, Chad Shoemaker, Scott Spears, John Coomer, and Jake Williams should be regulars at that postion. The Secondary will be a good spot. Should see John Cole at one corner and second year player and Senior Justin Oursler will be at the other corner. This kid will be something he is very smart and picks up on things very quickly I want to see how he plays. Then Fitzpatrick and maybe Ottie Manning at the Safets I dont know yet. Will Wilson will be filling in for John Wright at Kicmking and Kenny Hughes will be Punting.

They must replace Deaton who was one of the most accurate high school passers I have seen.

It may take Hall awhile to get used to game speed once again but I look for him to have a good season. He is a very hard worker.

Is the schedule completed yet? I am really only wondering about week two, is it filled yet? If so who and where?

Somerset will be very good again this year. I look for them to win their District and do well in the playoffs.

Somerset will be very good again this year. I look for them to win their District and do well in the playoffs.

 

They should be the prohibitive favorite in their district. There aren't many currently strong programs to be found there.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.