Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Lofton vs Mayo (College level)

Featured Replies

Alright guys, here on bluegrasspreps there was a forum started when O.J Mayo was in 8th grade. I believe Lofton was a senior. The discussion was, O.J Mayo or Chris Lofton? It was a 50/50 discussion then. What are everyone thoughts RIGHT NOW? Not 5 years down the road. I am gonna have to take Lofton right now. Although I know O.J is a GREAT player, Lofton does it against much harder competition. By the way, I was picking O.J before. I had no idea how much upside Lofton had 5 year ago.

Lofton will be regarded as one of the best ever in Knoxville while AJ will play one year of college ball and leave more "what if's" for us to discuss right here on BGP. OJ will probably be a very good player but I as a college fan would rather enjoy four years of outstanding accomplishments from any player.

Chris Lofton has proven himself as a young man with class and character. He has also proven that he can compete at a very high level of competition. OJ has not had the chance to prove himself on the college level but also is a great player. OJ is one and done at the college level so it would be hard to compare their careers.

I would choose Lofton for the reasons mentioned in my first sentence.

They both shoot a lot. ;)

 

It's tough to go against Lofton, but Mayo's physical presence and athletic ability make it difficult to pick against him. However, I'll go with Lofton. He's already proven himself, and in the 1 game I watched Mayo play (against Oak Hill Academy last year) I was not overly impressed.

My vote goes to Lofton for much of the same reasons as cville and neerfan posted. I would rather watch and support a kid that WANTS to play college ball rather than one that his only reason is to use it as a 1 or 2 year stopping point before the NBA. I may be wrong but imo Mayo could give a flip less if his team wins in college as long as he gets to the NBA.

We just have to wait and see how Mr Mayo does at USC. He will likely get A LOT more playing time then Lofton did his freshman year. It would be fun to see both guys not only making it to the NBA, but having some success.

My vote goes to Lofton for much of the same reasons as cville and neerfan posted. I would rather watch and support a kid that WANTS to play college ball rather than one that his only reason is to use it as a 1 or 2 year stopping point before the NBA. I may be wrong but imo Mayo could give a flip less if his team wins in college as long as he gets to the NBA.

 

I hear a lot of people saying this, but I find it hard to believe. Most athletes are very competitive, and I'd include Mayo in that group. If he truly does not care, then I think a few losses will quickly change his attitude. NOBODY likes to lose, especially when you're used to winning all of your life.

If I had to choose one for next year, I would take Lofton, but for long term I would take OJ...

 

:walk:

They both shoot a lot. ;)

 

It's tough to go against Lofton, but Mayo's physical presence and athletic ability make it difficult to pick against him. However, I'll go with Lofton. He's already proven himself, and in the 1 game I watched Mayo play (against Oak Hill Academy last year) I was not overly impressed.

 

Mayo put up 43 with a stress fracture in his foot against a kid who will play for Coach K next year. What else did you want him to do? Sell popcorn?

OJ Mayo....no question...

 

Lofton is a great college player, no question, but OJ Mayo is going to college because he has to, otherwise, he'd be in the NBA before Chris Lofton. That's about as far as this discussion needs to go, IMO.

If your going to go on college level then it is a easy answer. Of coarse you are going to take the guy who would be here 4 years over the guy who would be here one year. So if your going to compare you got to compare them on what they were coming out of high school, and who would you take for that one year, and the obvious answer is Mayo...

OJ Mayo....no question...

 

Lofton is a great college player, no question, but OJ Mayo is going to college because he has to, otherwise, he'd be in the NBA before Chris Lofton. That's about as far as this discussion needs to go, IMO.

:thumb:

Mayo put up 43 with a stress fracture in his foot against a kid who will play for Coach K next year. What else did you want him to do? Sell popcorn?

 

I'd like him to pass a little bit. He took 30 shots (although he did make 12 of them) and out of those 30, I'd say 10 of them were bad shots.

 

Put it this way - OJ Mayo was not the best player on the floor, despite putting up 43 points.

I'd like him to pass a little bit. He took 30 shots (although he did make 12 of them) and out of those 30, I'd say 10 of them were bad shots.

 

Put it this way - OJ Mayo was not the best player on the floor, despite putting up 43 points.

 

I agree, the point guard from Oak Hills that is now at North Carolina was. However, I will emphasize the fact that he had a stress fracture in his foot, which may have affected his ability to get to the basket and lift on his jump shot.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.