Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

High School Coaches that played Major College... college... and even pro baseball?

Featured Replies

Who is currently coaching at the high school level and has played major college or college baseball? Who has went on to play some professional baseball and come back to the high school level to coach???

Mac Whitaker (Harrison Co) played at Morehead St. Not sure of the years, but I believe it was the mid to late 70's.

Jody Hamilton (West Jessamine) also played at MSU. About the same time as Whitaker I think.

Shawn Hall (Johnson Central) played at MSU from around 1997 to 2001.

Paul Morse (Danville) played a couple of years at UK and then was drafted by someone (Yankee's maybe).

Walt Terrell (St. Henry) played for the Mets for a number of years. He was a pitcher and was in the majors for at least 10 years I think (not sure on the exact number). He also coaches a very select summer baseball team known as the Kentucky Colonels

Ryle High Coaching staff:

 

Pat Roesel - Xavier University

Jim Demler - NKU

Teal Nally - college in Illinois ( forgot the name, sorry Teal)

Coach Layne - Xavier University - basketball (old school short shorts-LOL

Mac Whitaker (Harrison Co) played at Morehead St. Not sure of the years, but I believe it was the mid to late 70's.

Jody Hamilton (West Jessamine) also played at MSU. About the same time as Whitaker I think.

Shawn Hall (Johnson Central) played at MSU from around 1997 to 2001.Paul Morse (Danville) played a couple of years at UK and then was drafted by someone (Yankee's maybe).

Shawn's brother Mike Hall of Sheldon Clark played at Louisville in the late 80's.

 

Tucker Howard of Paintsville also played for Louisville .

Bill Krumpelbeck of CovCath still holds all of the major pitching records at Xavier University, I believe.

Walt Terrell (St. Henry) played for the Mets for a number of years. He was a pitcher and was in the majors for at least 10 years I think (not sure on the exact number). He also coaches a very select summer baseball team known as the Kentucky Colonels

 

 

He also played @ Morehead State.

Bill Miller @ PRP - I believe that he went to Alabama to play football and baseball but stuck with baseball.

Dom Fucci @ Tates Creek - I believe that he went to Auburn.

 

Not real sure on the schools, but I know they both played D1 baseball.

Wow a lot of talent out there in the coaches boxes. Great for KY baseball.

Phil Grundy at Somerset was a first or second team all american at Western Carolina before being drafted.

At Middlesboro:

 

Aaron Sowders- Cumberland College (I think)

Bill Powell- Morehead St. (football) and then Lincoln Memorial University (baseball)

David Kelley- Lincoln Memorial University

 

Others that I know of:

 

John Smith (Whitley County HS)- Cumberland College

Bussell (Rockcastle County HS)- Eastern Kentucky University

Walt Terrell (St. Henry) played for the Mets for a number of years. He was a pitcher and was in the majors for at least 10 years I think (not sure on the exact number). He also coaches a very select summer baseball team known as the Kentucky Colonels

 

I thought Walt played for the Tigers?

I thought Walt played for the Tigers?

 

He played for both.

Bussell (Rockcastle County HS)- Eastern Kentucky University

 

Coach Bussell and staff at Rockcastle County are some of the brightest baseball minds that you'll encounter.

 

He's also not the only one on the staff that played college baseball.

 

Chris Bishop was a starting SS/2B/3B at Cumberland College for four years.

 

Dusty McClure played at least a couple years with Cumberland College.

 

Now if I'm correct on the last one, the players at Rockcastle County Middle School should be in for a good young coach. JD's brother Derrick, who was a starting outfielder at EKU for 3+ seasons will be taking over the reighns of the young Rockets.....IF I'm wrong on that then it's becuase he's joined JD's staff....haven't talked to any of the coaches in a couples months so I'm not 100% sure on this last point.

Beau Brake - Ludlow - NKU

Noah Welte - Villa Madonna - Thomas More

 

Maybe not huge D1 schools, but college ball nonetheless.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.