Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Boys teams playing on the same night as girls teams

Featured Replies

Breathitt county has played 3 of those "double headers" as they call them. I myself think it is a little crazy. I was going to go to the game tonight aginst estill but i knew it was a so-called "double-header" and i didnt want to watch the girls play. I dont know if anyone feels the same way but thats what i think.

 

 

That's really terrible that someone would have to set through a "dreaded" girls game, since Breathitt has such a horrible team!!! But, on the other hand, I thought Breathitt had a pretty good girls team, with one of the best girls coaches in the state, not to mention a pretty good ballplayer in her time.

  • Replies 32
  • Views 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah peggy is a great coach and a person. Breathitts girls jas one of the best girls teams in the 14th. I have watched them play in may of game. I just dont think it is as exciting as watching the guys.

In my old school personal opinion, Title IX is the tail wagging the dog.

 

I coached varsity girls from 1987 through 1991 and we knew that we played on Mondays and Thursday with an occasional Saturday thrown in. The guys always played on Tuesdays and Fridays and I don't ever remember a single player or parent of mine ever complaining about being shorted on "prime time" exposure.

 

The guys came to our games and we went to theirs.

 

All that the percentage requirements have created is chaos and confusion.

 

When our guys (Brossart) played NCC last Saturday night, our girls were off playing at Clark County. Guess where they would have rather been???

 

Over-regulation is always counterproductive. A little common sense and common interest in each other's programs would be more workable for both sides than enforced equlity.

 

Where will it end???

I personally hate these schedules nowadays. I liked it much better when the girls played on Mon/Thurs and the boys on Tues/Fri. Now there are a lot of boy/girl double headers and the JV teams get the short end of the stick. Another downside is having to take two buses to away games for a boy/girl double header instead of one for varsity/jv games, thus increasing travel costs. I understand the arguement from the girls side wanting to play the prime-time Friday night games. Why couldn't the KHSAA designate every other week as Mon/Thurs-girls, Tues/Fri-boys and the next week Mon/Thurs-boys, Tues/Fri-girls? That way the girls get an equal number of Friday night games, the JV teams get their games in, and travel costs could be decreased. As long as the coaches know which week is which when making out the schedules, I don't see why this couldn't work.

The kids in our County really like the double headers and a lot of the fans do too. That way they can pay one price and see both of the teams varsity program. We have a lot of community support and many of them just folllow the Varsity programs and have little interest in the JV.

 

I think it is good that both teams get some Friday and Saturday games, then they are only out one night during the week and can get homework completed.

The kids in our County really like the double headers and a lot of the fans do too. That way they can pay one price and see both of the teams varsity program. We have a lot of community support and many of them just folllow the Varsity programs and have little interest in the JV.

 

I think it is good that both teams get some Friday and Saturday games, then they are only out one night during the week and can get homework completed.

 

I've got no arguments against boys/girls varsity double headers, that sounds like a fun event; but I just can't stand the boy's & girl's teams playing the same night in different venues. Does a real disservice to the kids, and respective players, as they can't even attend each other's games and support their counterparts?? Makes no sense to me at all!!

I agree BGGreen, even the kids like to go to each others games and support each other!

 

Our School does not schedule that way but they did have one conflict from a make-up game. I can not imagine an AD scheduling that way on purpose, seems counterproductive to school spirit!

Title IX is a classic case of overregulation in my opinion. Girls have to play a certain # of games in "prime time" on prime nights, ie on a Friday night boys play @ 6:30pm with girls to follow @8pm. At many schools the girls would prefer to play the early game on these nights in order to have the maximum crowd in the second half as fans for the boys game arrive. When the boys play first the gym often empties as the girls game starts. This may not be the case at every school, but my point is, the school should have more flexability in what they choose to do.

That's really terrible that someone would have to set through a "dreaded" girls game, since Breathitt has such a horrible team!!! But, on the other hand, I thought Breathitt had a pretty good girls team, with one of the best girls coaches in the state, not to mention a pretty good ballplayer in her time.

 

any girls game is a "dreaded" game.

any girls game is a "dreaded" game.
I'm sure many student-athletes, fans, parents, coaches, school officials and communities, would disagree with your characterization of girls games.
I don't know what you are saying about Title IX, but it doesn't have anything to do with the girls and boys playing on the same night. We have only had one game with our boys and girls team that was played on the same night, and that was only because a game was rescheduled and it was the only time the game could be made up. Title IX section that you are talking about is about prime time games. Our girls sometimes play on Fridays and Saturdays now instead of only Mondays and Thursdays, and likewise, our boys play on Mondays and Thursdays sometimes, instead of always on Tuesdays, Fridays or Saturdays. I think it is one of the best rulings that happened to girls basketball. I know it is for our team, the girls now have as many fans out as the boys and I feel it is because 1/3 of their games are now on the weekends.

Was looking to see if anyone had posted about this.

 

I agree the only part of Title IX that would end up with conflict would be prime time games. There are ONLY so many Fri and Sats in a season and there will be conflicts there.

 

Any games on Mon-Thurs is poor communication between the girls and boys coaches.

I think it should go back to the old way where you have a B. Team Boy's and then the A Team Boy's game not girl's and boy's on the same night. Most school's has a girl's b. team now. I also agree that on night's the boy's play that the girl's should not and vise ver. also. I think the fan's would enjoy it more plus some parent's has a girl and boy playing so it would be real hard on them to decide which game to go to.

We have also had several boy's and girl's games on the same night at different venues. It is bad for everyone especially for the parent that has a boy and a girl playing. There needs to be more communication between the AD's and the Boy's and Girl's coaches. I do not have a problem with the double headers. Let's do Boy/Girl varsity doubleheaders on Tuesday/Friday and schedule Boy/Girl JV on Monday/Thursday. Freshmen on Saturday.

We have one Boys/Girls double header every year at Scott Co. It is the Mason Co. game. I think that Mason requests it. It's a nice change of pace, but I feel like our JV team misses out on a great opportunity to play Mason's JV because of it. Our girls team is awesome and draws a good crowd on their own. It's not quite as big as the boys games, but the fans are LOYAL to the Lady Cards.

I'm sure many student-athletes, fans, parents, coaches, school officials and communities, would disagree with your characterization of girls games.

 

:thumb: Thank you, Strike 3.

 

I think this post has gotten away from what the Title IX guidelines was put in for. I don't know how the schools in Kentucky schedule, other than the ones around me, but our schools do not "double book" games on the same night except on rare occasions. Our girls and boys alike come to each others games and cheer each other on. I agree if schools are scheduling boys and girls games on the same night, fans need to step up and ask their AD's not to do this. Boys or Girls, both are equally important, is what Title IX is trying to say, so Girls should have game scheduled on the weekends to allow fans from out of town or parents that work out of town be able to see their daughters play.

We have also had several boy's and girl's games on the same night at different venues. It is bad for everyone especially for the parent that has a boy and a girl playing. There needs to be more communication between the AD's and the Boy's and Girl's coaches. I do not have a problem with the double headers. Let's do Boy/Girl varsity doubleheaders on Tuesday/Friday and schedule Boy/Girl JV on Monday/Thursday. Freshmen on Saturday.

So a player that plays on JV and Varsity has a week schedule that is game on Monday, game on Tuesday, practice on Wednesday, game on Thursday, game on Friday. One day of practice for this player who could easily be a freshmen. And I was always told practice is where you got better. :sssh: ;)

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.