Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Open Job: Holmes

Featured Replies

5 hours ago, HSBballfan1212 said:

Calls that Ken Ellis should make today:

1. Tim Sullivan 

2. Ricardo Johnson 

3. Rod Snapp

4. Mike Walker

Go down the line until that person says they're interested.

You better make the list longer.

  • Replies 39
  • Views 9.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • I think he’s referring to the talent on their basketball team, or really any other sports teams. My entire life, even a bad Holmes team would beat Saint Henry, Lloyd, Ludlow, Beechwood, and other scho

  • futurecoach
    futurecoach

    While I understand that type of thinking, and a lot of admin think just like that about wanting someone with head coaching experience. I also believe that is where a lot of schools also mess up, and t

  • 4 Quarters
    4 Quarters

    You better make the list longer.

7 minutes ago, 4 Quarters said:

You better make the list longer.

Add:

Todd Humphrey: Boone County boys

Eric Pouncy: Scott Girls

Darian Witherspoon: Dayton Boys

Tracey Pope: ????

I even believe Ricardo, Sullivan and Walker would agree!

The elephant in the room is that this is not the Holmes High School it was 15, even 7 years ago. The city of Covington has drastically changed. 

1 hour ago, Pi said:

The elephant in the room is that this is not the Holmes High School it was 15, even 7 years ago. The city of Covington has drastically changed. 

Not sure exactly how Covington or Holmes has changed in the last 15 or 7 years. I only attend sporting events. Could you elaborate on the changes? This makes me believe the decision makers at Holmes aren’t aware of this “change” apparently either. Ricardo Johnson, Todd Humphrey, Eric Pouncy and Tracey Pope have all coached at Holmes within the last 15 and 7 years. They all sought the opportunity to be the next Holmes head coach and I’m sure they were more aware of what was happening in Covington or at Holmes than probably anyone including Sam Elsbernd at that point in time. I’m sure if things have changed that drastically someone like Sam Elsbernd would have been well informed of that before deciding to accept the job. 

36 minutes ago, sideline skipper said:

Not sure exactly how Covington or Holmes has changed in the last 15 or 7 years. I only attend sporting events. Could you elaborate on the changes? This makes me believe the decision makers at Holmes aren’t aware of this “change” apparently either. Ricardo Johnson, Todd Humphrey, Eric Pouncy and Tracey Pope have all coached at Holmes within the last 15 and 7 years. They all sought the opportunity to be the next Holmes head coach and I’m sure they were more aware of what was happening in Covington or at Holmes than probably anyone including Sam Elsbernd at that point in time. I’m sure if things have changed that drastically someone like Sam Elsbernd would have been well informed of that before deciding to accept the job. 

Wow, do you attend any 9th region games?

51 minutes ago, sideline skipper said:

Not sure exactly how Covington or Holmes has changed in the last 15 or 7 years. I only attend sporting events. Could you elaborate on the changes? 

I think he’s referring to the talent on their basketball team, or really any other sports teams. My entire life, even a bad Holmes team would beat Saint Henry, Lloyd, Ludlow, Beechwood, and other schools. They are struggling to beat Bellevue, Dayton, Calvary, and heritage in the past couple of years. It’s strange to see.

2 hours ago, PP1 said:

I think he’s referring to the talent on their basketball team, or really any other sports teams. My entire life, even a bad Holmes team would beat Saint Henry, Lloyd, Ludlow, Beechwood, and other schools. They are struggling to beat Bellevue, Dayton, Calvary, and heritage in the past couple of years. It’s strange to see.

Despite the significant changes that have taken place over the past 7 to 15 years, the coaches previously mentioned — Johnson, Humphrey, and Pope — expressed a willingness to embrace those changes and work through the challenges facing the program. Each understood that the environment at Holmes had evolved since their playing days, which happened to be at the peak of Holmes basketball dynasty. Yet they remained motivated by the opportunity to help restore the success and culture of Holmes.
 

Remarkably Holmes didn’t value them, instead they chose “experienced” coaches who all claimed they knew Covington but were severely out of touch with modern day Covington and couldn’t relate to the kids they coached. That’s literally the last 3 Holmes hires. Holmes passed on Todd Humphrey and hired Holmes Graduate Brad Carr. Holmes passed on Ricardo Johnson and hired Tony Perkins. Holmes allegedly passed on Tracey Pope and hired Sam Elsbernd.
 

With the amount of success that Ricardo has had at Holy Cross it’s hard to imagine a world where he wouldn’t have been more successful at Holmes than he has been at Holy Cross. I believe Holmes has made the wrong decision in 3 straight hires. Maybe what should change in Covington is who ever has been responsible for hiring Head basketball coaches.

On 5/6/2026 at 8:04 AM, HSBballfan1212 said:

Calls that Ken Ellis should make today:

1. Tim Sullivan 

2. Ricardo Johnson 

3. Rod Snapp

4. Mike Walker

Go down the line until that person says they're interested.

No way Tim Sullivan nor Ricardo Johnson are returning to Holmes in my opinion. Both of these coaches have memories like elephants and they will NEVER forget being snubbed when Holmes had openings and refused to select them, especially Sullivan!! I know the feelings he had when they passed over him. 

As for Johnson, who also got passed over and a time when it made perfect sense to make him the obvious head coach at that time, I find it incredibly ironic how so many thought he wasn't worthy of the HC job and how now when he "proves himself right", he's a leading candidate all of the sudden. SMH

Holmes had the PERFECT opportunity to do the right and correct thing, especially with Sullivan who was raised in Covington, went to Holmes, was a multi-sport athlete, was an assistant, mother taught at Holmes and who the community wanted at the time when the Bulldogs were competing for the region year in and year out, and said 'no thanks!" I can remember getting my hair cut at Ms. Bassey's shop during that time and she kept telling me, we need "our" coach back!

I wish the Bulldogs the best of luck in their search but I don't believe it will be Sullivan or Johnson.

5 hours ago, Mr. Sixer said:

No way Tim Sullivan nor Ricardo Johnson are returning to Holmes in my opinion. Both of these coaches have memories like elephants and they will NEVER forget being snubbed when Holmes had openings and refused to select them, especially Sullivan!! I know the feelings he had when they passed over him. 

As for Johnson, who also got passed over and a time when it made perfect sense to make him the obvious head coach at that time, I find it incredibly ironic how so many thought he wasn't worthy of the HC job and how now when he "proves himself right", he's a leading candidate all of the sudden. SMH

Holmes had the PERFECT opportunity to do the right and correct thing, especially with Sullivan who was raised in Covington, went to Holmes, was a multi-sport athlete, was an assistant, mother taught at Holmes and who the community wanted at the time when the Bulldogs were competing for the region year in and year out, and said 'no thanks!" I can remember getting my hair cut at Ms. Bassey's shop during that time and she kept telling me, we need "our" coach back!

I wish the Bulldogs the best of luck in their search but I don't believe it will be Sullivan or Johnson.

At what point Sully apply?

11 hours ago, 4 Quarters said:

At what point Sully apply?

This would have been around the '15 season if memory serves me correct. Right after Booher left and the administration went with Listerman for a few seasons. Don't get me wrong, I love Listerman but it was a missed opportunity big time. It all worked out for Sully because 2 seasons later he was playing for the State Championship trophy in 2017, won the region again and was regional runner-up a couple times as well during that time frame.

I can only imagine the talent that would have stayed at Holmes, not to mention the talent that may have strongly considered becoming a Bulldog, had Sully been selected. Just my opinion, but I would venture to say Tim would still be the coach today had he been selected instead of having 4 coaches in the last 12 years. 

Still, I wish Holmes nothing but the best. The region was always better when Holmes was ultra competitive like back in the day.

3 hours ago, Mr. Sixer said:

This would have been around the '15 season if memory serves me correct. Right after Booher left and the administration went with Listerman for a few seasons. Don't get me wrong, I love Listerman but it was a missed opportunity big time. It all worked out for Sully because 2 seasons later he was playing for the State Championship trophy in 2017, won the region again and was regional runner-up a couple times as well during that time frame.

I can only imagine the talent that would have stayed at Holmes, not to mention the talent that may have strongly considered becoming a Bulldog, had Sully been selected. Just my opinion, but I would venture to say Tim would still be the coach today had he been selected instead of having 4 coaches in the last 12 years. 

Still, I wish Holmes nothing but the best. The region was always better when Holmes was ultra competitive like back in the day.

Actually memory just came back to me LOL. I was off on the timing. Sully was in the running for the job when they hiring the hot name at the time in Booher who just won the State title the year prior. Regardless, the fact remains they missed the mark as I think Sully would have been a lifer.

On 5/7/2026 at 2:26 PM, Mr. Sixer said:

No way Tim Sullivan nor Ricardo Johnson are returning to Holmes in my opinion. Both of these coaches have memories like elephants and they will NEVER forget being snubbed when Holmes had openings and refused to select them, especially Sullivan!! I know the feelings he had when they passed over him. 

As for Johnson, who also got passed over and a time when it made perfect sense to make him the obvious head coach at that time, I find it incredibly ironic how so many thought he wasn't worthy of the HC job and how now when he "proves himself right", he's a leading candidate all of the sudden. SMH

Holmes had the PERFECT opportunity to do the right and correct thing, especially with Sullivan who was raised in Covington, went to Holmes, was a multi-sport athlete, was an assistant, mother taught at Holmes and who the community wanted at the time when the Bulldogs were competing for the region year in and year out, and said 'no thanks!" I can remember getting my hair cut at Ms. Bassey's shop during that time and she kept telling me, we need "our" coach back!

I wish the Bulldogs the best of luck in their search but I don't believe it will be Sullivan or Johnson.

Holmes has had multiple opportunities over the years to make the right hire, but for a variety of reasons, those opportunities have not produced the long-term leadership the program needed. The landscape in Covington has changed significantly over the past decade, and while that presents challenges, the right coach would have been able to retain more local talent rather than seeing players/families consistently leave for programs such as Scott, Newport, Lloyd, Holy Cross, Boone, and to some degree, Cooper/Highlands. 

I personally lost confidence in the administration’s decision-making process when neither Ross Hart nor Ricardo received follow-up communication after expressing interest in the position years ago. Both individuals possessed the qualities and community connection necessary to succeed in a role like this.

In my opinion, Ricardo would have been an outstanding fit for the position, and the same can be said for Ross. To be successful at Holmes, a coach must understand not only the game of basketball, but also the community, the culture, and the unique challenges and expectations that come with leading this program. This is a position that requires far more than basketball knowledge alone. It requires trust, relationships, and a deep understanding of the kids and the environment they come from.

I am interested in seeing the direction that they decide to go. With that said, I can almost guarantee Tim Sullivan and Ricardo Johnson will not return a call or express interest in the opening.  

On 5/8/2026 at 12:16 PM, Mr. Sixer said:

Actually memory just came back to me LOL. I was off on the timing. Sully was in the running for the job when they hiring the hot name at the time in Booher who just won the State title the year prior. Regardless, the fact remains they missed the mark as I think Sully would have been a lifer.

To be fair, there isn't a program in the state that wouldn't have made that same hire. 

I do agree, however, that Sully could have kept things rolling in Covington with the talent that was in the pipeline that Booher inherited. 

11 hours ago, BlueBloodedColonel said:

What about a wild card candidate? What about Scott Ruthsatz? No chance? 

Forget that!

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.