What if.... Pitino never left UK???

LSURock

No doubt we will still be a "dynasty" like team. His recruiting ability and connections the connections, pipeline he built going into Lexington was UNreal. The only thing that has slowed him down is the NBA draft. He got screwed by 3-4 kids going to the draft.

And that is exactly why we would have not kept doing as good even if Pitino stayed. Those players on that team that Pitino put together for that great run, probably wouldn't have even went to college from the years 2000 to 2006 because of all the kids deciding to go straight to the pros. People like Walker, Mercer, etc. might not have ever stepped foot on campus. That is one thing I dont think you all realized when Pitino was here people weren't leaving straight for the pros, and if they did leave early it wasn't until after their sophomore. So for most of Tubbys years the best players were leaving straight to the NBA, so we wasn't able to keep building off the success we had, because those best players just went straight pro. And as you just said now look at Pitino. He keeps losing players to the NBA just like he would have if he stayed here at UK, and look he might be going to the NIT for the second year in a row.

So as I said before even if Pitino stayed here, we still wouldn't have been able to stay at that same level, and I would be willing to bet that the amount of wins that Tubby has put up would be just as close to Pitinos if he had stayed. The one thing I would say if Pitino stayed I think we would have had one more final four than we do now....

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why dont you think Rick would have won the Championship in 1998?

I think UK would have 1 more National Championship, and another final four!

Because that team was not the most talented team in the country, and with the style Pitino plays it actually would not have been the best FOR THAT TEAM. Tubby's style has was the best kind of style for that sort of team we had that year. We had two NBA centers in Mohammed and Magloire, a pg who could run a half court offense in Turner, and shooters in Sheppard and Mills. That team was a perfect team for Tubby's system and that is why he was able to get that team to win it all. That team with Pitino probably would have been a sweet 16 team and maybe an elite 8 team at best with the style Pitino runs...

Pitino however IMO would have eventually got another title here, so we still would have the same amount of titles as we do now, except as I said a few times now I think we might have had another final four as well...

Because that team was not the most talented team in the country, and with the style Pitino plays it actually would not have been the best FOR THAT TEAM. Tubby's style has was the best kind of style for that sort of team we had that year. We had two NBA centers in Mohammed and Magloire, a pg who could run a half court offense in Turner, and shooters in Sheppard and Mills. That team was a perfect team for Tubby's system and that is why he was able to get that team to win it all. That team with Pitino probably would have been a sweet 16 team and maybe an elite 8 team at best with the style Pitino runs...

Pitino however IMO would have eventually got another title here, so we still would have the same amount of titles as we do now, except as I said a few times now I think we might have had another final four as well...

Agreed.

:thumb:

I think we would have the same amount of titles as we do now. I dont think we would have won it in 1998 with Pitino as coach, however I believe that he would have got us another title, but just not in 1998. And I would say we would have one more final four than we have right now. Other than that I think the amount of wins and everything would be just about the same as many as Tubby has gotten...

WOW...just wow...

Don't know how anyone can arrive at that conclusion.

Does anybody else ever get tired of the 'What ifs', people seem to talk in circles for days and it never leads to much.

:thumb: Absolutely! This is probably, no it is the best post of this thread. I am like Deuce, this will be my first and last post on this one.:rolleyes: ......................and if a frog had wings...........:confused: :D

Be sure to ask the UNC fans in about 10 - 15 years if it made a difference in hiring Roy Williams....especially after they overtake us in the all times wins and NCAA banners. Pitino had a dynasty here as Roy is building in Chapel Hill. Tubby is gradually brick by brick tearing down our dynasty. Rick had the UK fanbase united. Tubby has seriously driven a wedge in it. No doubt if Rick had stayed at UK, we'd still be menitioned in the evening talk shows and ESPN telecasts as a dominant program. That's no longer the case with Tub.

....Pitino had a dynasty here as Roy is building in Chapel Hill. Tubby is gradually brick by brick tearing down our dynasty. Rick had the UK fanbase united. Tubby has seriously driven a wedge in it. No doubt if Rick had stayed at UK, we'd still be mentioned in the evening talk shows and ESPN telecasts as a dominant program. That's no longer the case with Tub.
Not sure, it's all hypothetical and Pitino, has struggles of his own, so its all speculation.

I think most of us would agree, that more and more college programs, are getting talent richer, than before. In the last 5-8 years, there have been names excelling in College Basketball, that were not discussed much and the Mid-Majors, are getting their fair share of talent and then some.

Be sure to ask the UNC fans in about 10 - 15 years if it made a difference in hiring Roy Williams....especially after they overtake us in the all times wins and NCAA banners. Pitino had a dynasty here as Roy is building in Chapel Hill. Tubby is gradually brick by brick tearing down our dynasty. Rick had the UK fanbase united. Tubby has seriously driven a wedge in it. No doubt if Rick had stayed at UK, we'd still be menitioned in the evening talk shows and ESPN telecasts as a dominant program. That's no longer the case with Tub.

I can't argue with that....