Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Henderson Player's parents file suit

Featured Replies

I know at Highlands they take the temp. on the field, which often can be different from the sidelines. Yes, I realize that field turf is hotter with the rubber but I'm sure most playing fields will be warmer out on the field as opposed to the sidelines.

  • Replies 68
  • Views 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably what is below the limit set by their governing body...one would think.

Well correct me if I am wrong but the KHSAA allows upto 104 degrees of heat index. The indexes that day ranged from high 80's to high 90's.

To answer most of your questions go to the KHSAA website, click sports medicine link and find the heat illness section. The temperature can be very high and still practice, it is the humidity that cancels everything along w/the temperature.

 

Check the website out, I think most of you will be very surprised what you find.

Well correct me if I am wrong but the KHSAA allows upto 104 degrees of heat index. The indexes that day ranged from high 80's to high 90's.

 

I'm not up to speed on the weather in Henderson but why is this an issue if it was under the heat index allowed by the KHSAA? Also, 'ranged from high 80's to high 90's' in the same day seems like a pretty good reason to check it regularly.

 

We shall see...

  • Author

KHSAA Heat Index Chart

 

Click the link. As you can see you can have a temperature as low as 85 degrees and with high enough humidity the heat index is to high for full activity.

 

When you get into the 90's the humidity doesn't have to be very high at all to cause practice restrictions.

 

The fact of the matter is that there can be a large difference in heat index readings at venues very close to each other. It is affected by all sorts of things, the amount of shade, the amount of grass on the field, air movement etc. That's why it is so important that coaches at every outdoor venue take independent readings and not just rely on one reading taken at a "central" location.

Should a child that can not afford this type of physical not be allowed to play. This is a serious issue. I would guess that less than 50% of the players that go through these "drive through" physicals will pay or could afford to pay the 150-200 physical that would be done in a physicians office. Additionally, please do not get a false sense of security from a physical in the physicians office as most defects would have not been picked up without an stress EKG or Echocardiogram which are not parts of a normal physical.

I don't have an answer to that question. I just don't think that herding children through a line to get a physical is a good idea either. I also know that a physical doesn't include any tests that would "hopefully" detect any abnormalies in a heart but even if they were done, you can't be 100% sure. I just feel that a child's doctor, who has more knowledge of the child than a strange doctor does, should be the one making the decision on whether a child can play or not. I suppose the reason they do these "drive thru" physicals is the one you stated above, but I still don't like it and I don't think it's a good way to determine if a child is healthy or not.

Concerning the question about how can the board of education keep the coach on - maybe they feel some responsibility for not having a certified athletic trainer on hand (I assume that they did not, since his/her name is not mentioned in the lawsuit).

 

Additionally, per KHSAA the heat index must be checked where the players are at. Many factors can create microclimates that can cause concerns - what type of turf they are on, building that are nearby, etc. I have taken readings in our asphault parking lot and found them to be nearly 10 degrees higher than on the practice field.

 

Someone mentioned that every coach on the field should have the device. I disagree. It often takes 10 minutes to test and record the heat index and it must be done every half hour. What kind of flow can you get in a practice with that? Rather, you need one trained individual, whether it be an assistant coach, athletic trainer, athletic director or program volunteer whose sole responsibility during practice is to measure and report the heat index. This person should have the relationship with the head coach to be able to say, "The heat index is ___. That means that helmets and shoulder pads must come off" or whatever the reading calls for. The coach then follows those guidelines to the letter. It is easily spelled out in the KHSAA rules what the limits are for every 5 degrees of heat index.

KHSAA Heat Index Chart

 

Click the link. As you can see you can have a temperature as low as 85 degrees and with high enough humidity the heat index is to high for full activity.

 

When you get into the 90's the humidity doesn't have to be very high at all to cause practice restrictions.

 

The fact of the matter is that there can be a large difference in heat index readings at venues very close to each other. It is affected by all sorts of things, the amount of shade, the amount of grass on the field, air movement etc. That's why it is so important that coaches at every outdoor venue take independent readings and not just rely on one reading taken at a "central" location.

 

Should'nt Owensboro Catholics practice field be considered a central location for the city of Henderson.

 

My biggest gripe against the coach is that if he did not have the heat monitoring equipment in place at his practice field, than obviously he had not idea what the heat index was, and therefore ran the risk of putting all of his players in danger.

  • Author
Should'nt Owensboro Catholics practice field be considered a central location for the city of Henderson.

 

My biggest gripe against the coach is that if he did not have the heat monitoring equipment in place at his practice field, than obviously he had not idea what the heat index was, and therefore ran the risk of putting all of his players in danger.

 

Exactly.

Heat index readings can very at a single location...see my post above. You absolutely cannot rely on the readings taken at another school, even if the school is across the road! The readings must be taken on the practice surface.

  • Author
Concerning the question about how can the board of education keep the coach on - maybe they feel some responsibility for not having a certified athletic trainer on hand (I assume that they did not, since his/her name is not mentioned in the lawsuit).

 

Additionally, per KHSAA the heat index must be checked where the players are at. Many factors can create microclimates that can cause concerns - what type of turf they are on, building that are nearby, etc. I have taken readings in our asphault parking lot and found them to be nearly 10 degrees higher than on the practice field.

 

Someone mentioned that every coach on the field should have the device. I disagree. It often takes 10 minutes to test and record the heat index and it must be done every half hour. What kind of flow can you get in a practice with that? Rather, you need one trained individual, whether it be an assistant coach, athletic trainer, athletic director or program volunteer whose sole responsibility during practice is to measure and report the heat index. This person should have the relationship with the head coach to be able to say, "The heat index is ___. That means that helmets and shoulder pads must come off" or whatever the reading calls for. The coach then follows those guidelines to the letter. It is easily spelled out in the KHSAA rules what the limits are for every 5 degrees of heat index.

Not what I said at all. What I said was every venue should have a psychrometer rather then relying on one measurement taken at a central location.

 

Quite honestly the flow of practice is the least of my concerns when it comes to doing this. If the soccer coach or cross country coach or even, heaven forbid, the football coach has to stop practice to take a measurement at the designated time then so be it. Sounds like a great way to work in a water break to me.

 

And for what it's worth I agree 100% with each school having an athletic trainer on site but if you only have 1 athletic trainer and sports practicing at three locations someone else is going to have to take measurements at two of the sites.

Not what I said at all. What I said was every venue should have a psychrometer rather then relying on one measurement taken at a central location.

Quite honestly the flow of practice is the least of my concerns when it comes to doing this. If the soccer coach or cross country coach or even, heaven forbid, the football coach has to stop practice to take a measurement at the designated time then so be it. Sounds like a great way to work in a water break to me.

 

And for what it's worth I agree 100% with each school having an athletic trainer on site but if you only have 1 athletic trainer and sports practicing at three locations someone else is going to have to take measurements at two of the sites.

 

When did I say that you said this? There are others that have posted on this thread that have said this. I am sure that if you reread the posts previous to yours that you will find it.

 

I understand th the flow of practice is the "least of" your concerns. I think that you missed the intent of my post. Perhaps I said it wrong. IMO the person utilizing the psychrometer should NOT be the one worried about what is being taught or practiced on the field. That person should be fully concerned about taking the reading and reporting the findings to the coach as necessary. Never was it my intent to imply that the "flow of practice" was more important than the safety/well-being of the student-athletes.

 

I fully understand that an athletic trainer can only be at one facility at a time, so that there will be more than one person needed to take the measurements. Ideally, I don't think that the trainer should take the official measurements, but should be the one on had to be there to check on athletes that are having any sign of illness/distress.

Can anyone tell me what type of playing surface was Henderson practing on the day of the incident?

Can anyone tell me what type of playing surface was Henderson practing on the day of the incident?

 

This has nothing to do w/the law suit. Obviously, if playing/practicing on turf it is at leat 10 degrees hotter than on natural grass.

 

Henderson did not have the proper equipment on hand which makes the staff and the school negligent, IMO!

Can anyone tell me what type of playing surface was Henderson practing on the day of the incident?

Natural grass.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.