Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Henderson Player's parents file suit

Featured Replies

I don't have an answer to that question. I just don't think that herding children through a line to get a physical is a good idea either. I also know that a physical doesn't include any tests that would "hopefully" detect any abnormalies in a heart but even if they were done, you can't be 100% sure. I just feel that a child's doctor, who has more knowledge of the child than a strange doctor does, should be the one making the decision on whether a child can play or not. I suppose the reason they do these "drive thru" physicals is the one you stated above, but I still don't like it and I don't think it's a good way to determine if a child is healthy or not.

 

I agree. If you can afford that for your children it is not a bad idea. Unfortunately with this type of situation the ailment would still probably have been missed. However your argument is valid that a full physical by the childs physician would have given more opportunity to pick up on such conditions.

  • Replies 68
  • Views 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have provided medical coverage at football games and practices for over 15 years. Heat related illnesses are the scariest for coaches and medical practicioners. Realistically every practice we had prior to the 2005 and 2006 season was in heat that required restrictions. Based on the information I have read on this thread and through the press. It certainly looks like Henderson staff took reasonable precautions. I do think it is unfortunate that the do not have proof of measuring the heat index but if reports are true the index was well within acceptable limits. I have lectured on the effects of heat index on several occasions and one of the concepts that is being over looked here is the concept of acclimation. All animals including humans can become acclimated to increased heat. Acclimation is accomplished by gradually increasing the demand placed on an individual during hot weather. Based on what I have read this incident occured on July 19th only 4 days after football practice can legally start in Ky. My question is if enough time was used to acclimate these athletes to the weather.

This has nothing to do w/the law suit. Obviously, if playing/practicing on turf it is at leat 10 degrees hotter than on natural grass.

 

Henderson did not have the proper equipment on hand which makes the staff and the school negligent, IMO!

 

Thanks alot for stealing my next two posts. :thumb:

The report said his kidneys began to fail. If this is different then them shuting down then I misworded it.

 

Probably because he was having trouble breathing and went in Respirtory Arress, when he couldn't get enough O-2 to his body. When the body lacks air the brain will start shuting thing down like the kidneys because it demands all the O-2.

I would love to see what book you read to get this info. You might want to go back and re-read or find another book. W/out going into depth in this subject matter there are other reasons for the kidneys to shut down.

 

Other that relates to this situation? There are others, like drugs, head injurys, long term illness, childhood back injurys. Is this what you ment???

One of the good things to our system of justice will be the deliberate attempt with evidence and presentations. Beats the heck out of the prejudged speculation on this site. The larger issue is what to be done to make sure it does not happen again to the best ability possible. I do not think this has to do with money on the parents part. I bet they would trade any value of cash for just one more day with their child. They have a right to bring issue with his tragic death. The school has a responsibility. In the meantime, it may be better served to reflect on how to improve things instead of trying the case on this site. My heart goes out to the family.

I'm in the healthcare field and in this area. I've never heard of such a thing happening. The only time your kidneys shut down is because of trama or back injurys. The kidneys will shut down because the brain tells them to if the brain is suffering from lack of oxygen. Not for any other reason.

 

 

This is the reason I made my comments due to your post saying what is in BOLD. This is not true. The kidneys can shut down due to heat illness not ONLY trama or back injuries.

One of the good things to our system of justice will be the deliberate attempt with evidence and presentations. Beats the heck out of the prejudged speculation on this site. The larger issue is what to be done to make sure it does not happen again to the best ability possible. I do not think this has to do with money on the parents part. I bet they would trade any value of cash for just one more day with their child. They have a right to bring issue with his tragic death. The school has a responsibility. In the meantime, it may be better served to reflect on how to improve things instead of trying the case on this site. My heart goes out to the family.

 

I think that is most of what the discussion is on this thread. Additionally, show me one BGPer that does not think that this is a tragedy and who's heart does not go out to the parents. We all feel this way and we all want this to never happen again.

I think that is most of what the discussion is on this thread. Additionally, show me one BGPer that does not think that this is a tragedy and who's heart does not go out to the parents. We all feel this way and we all want this to never happen again.

 

Unfortunately, until it is made a necessity to have some type of proper heart examination before athletic participation, this tragedy will continue to happen. As stated in this thread, there are numerous athletes/everyday people playing/walking around w/a heart defect and don't even know it.

 

W/that said, I would bet that every school in KY will have some type of instrument on hand to check the heat index. It is a shame that such a catrastrophe has to occur before everyone adheres to the rules.

 

True blue is exactly right, all our thoughts and prayers go out to the family, friends and community of this young athlete.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.