Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Henderson Player's parents file suit

Featured Replies

Can someone tell me how dehydrated do you have to be for your kidneys begin to shut down? Can this happen is 30-40 mins?

 

I'm in the healthcare field and in this area. I've never heard of such a thing happening. The only time your kidneys shut down is because of trama or back injurys. The kidneys will shut down because the brain tells them to if the brain is suffering from lack of oxygen. Not for any other reason.

  • Replies 68
  • Views 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're the school board and one of your coaches has disregarded a state safety rule and, as a result, a player died. Doesn't the coach have to be fired? How do you justify keeping him?

I'm in the healthcare field and in this area. I've never heard of such a thing happening. The only time your kidneys shut down is because of trama or back injurys. The kidneys will shut down because the brain tells them to if the brain is suffering from lack of oxygen. Not for any other reason.

The report said his kidneys began to fail. If this is different then them shuting down then I misworded it.

You're the school board and one of your coaches has disregarded a state safety rule and, as a result, a player died. Doesn't the coach have to be fired? How do you justify keeping him?

Yes he would if that is why he died. That is not the case here. Ryan died from a heart condition with the heat being a contributing factor.

Yes he would if that is why he died. That is not the case here. Ryan died from a heart condition with the heat being a contributing factor.

 

It may not have been the cause of this kids death, but the coach blatantly disregarded a required safety precaution as mandated by the KHSAA. Especially in light of what happened and pending litigation, I don't see how you can keep him around.

  • Author

I Googled "heat stroke" and "kidney failure" and found several articles that do indeed say that in cases of heat stroke the kidneys may fail. Most say that as the body temperature starts to rise, systems start to shut down usually as it gets over 104. From the reading I would venture to guess that depending on the level of hydration before activities begins it is very possible to have kidney failrure due to dehydration and heat stress within 30-40 minutes.

 

I would also venture to guess that this could be more of a problem with early morning activities because the athletes are less likely to completely hydrate themselves before beginning activities in the morning.

Yes he would if that is why he died. That is not the case here. Ryan died from a heart condition with the heat being a contributing factor.

 

Heat they shouldn't have been practicing in...

 

That puts in on the coaching staff...plain and simple...

  • Author
Heat they shouldn't have been practicing in...

 

That puts in on the coaching staff...plain and simple...

In order to be completely fair has it been determined that it was above KHSAA heat standards that day? I know that the coaches didn't take readings but has anyone determined what the heat index was in Henderson that day?

Yes he would if that is why he died. That is not the case here. Ryan died from a heart condition with the heat being a contributing factor.

 

The question to be answered revolves around the coach knowing or not knowing what the heat index was.

 

I found an article showing a report from that seems to conclude that the heat index was at an acceptable level.

 

http://www.courierpress.com/news/2006/sep/12/henderson-county-schools-release-final-report-deat/

A big concern is the fact that despite the high heat, none of the coaches had a measuring device to measure the heat index. I would hope this tragedy would move all schools to place these devices in the hands of all coaches.

In order to be completely fair has it been determined that it was above KHSAA heat standards that day? I know that the coaches didn't take readings but has anyone determined what the heat index was in Henderson that day?

 

I was under the impression that they asked early in the morning, a school miles away mind you, and it was close to the limit. Yet as of end of practice, no one had checked again. Also, I didn't think they had the device needed, hence the call to another school...

Heat they shouldn't have been practicing in...

 

That puts in on the coaching staff...plain and simple...

What is exceptable heat to practice/play in?

What is exceptable heat to practice/play in?

 

Probably what is below the limit set by their governing body...one would think.

I was under the impression that they asked early in the morning, a school miles away mind you, and it was close to the limit. Yet as of end of practice, no one had checked again. Also, I didn't think they had the device needed, hence the call to another school...

No it was not close to the limit when practice started. Henderson can be hot but it isn't South America. The KHSAA allows up 104 degrees I believe. The heat index that morning was high 80's at the start of practice and mid 90's when practice ended. That is what the weather service/local news had. As far as how the coaches obtained the temps I only know what the news/papers have reported.

I'm in the healthcare field and in this area. I've never heard of such a thing happening. The only time your kidneys shut down is because of trama or back injurys. The kidneys will shut down because the brain tells them to if the brain is suffering from lack of oxygen. Not for any other reason.

 

I would love to see what book you read to get this info. You might want to go back and re-read or find another book. W/out going into depth in this subject matter there are other reasons for the kidneys to shut down.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.