Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Trinity 42 Ryle 23 (6A State Championship)

Featured Replies

1 hour ago, Oldercoach said:

I was 100% wrong thinking the Rocks passing game would be their eventual downfall.  Soph QB Johnson was outstanding and proved to be consistently on target with even the difficult throws.  Coach Cobb knew what he was doing when he gave Johnson the keys to machine.

Johnson made some ridiculous throws.

  • Replies 58
  • Views 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • Trinity’s response in this one is why they are the Gold Standard.  The got punched in the mouth early, there’s no denying that. There’s also no denying Trinity’s poise and and discipline. There w

  • So, the Beast gets #29!!!!!

Posted Images

4 hours ago, #RockNation said:

Since the first title in 1968, every class that has come through Trinity has played in a state championship game at least once (56 years.) Only two graduating classes did not won a title (2000, 2001) 

I was class of '98. We lost to X in the state championship 3-0, in the '97 season. Unless I'm misunderstanding, my graduating class did not win any titles.

2 hours ago, NLTanker1 said:

I was class of '98. We lost to X in the state championship 3-0, in the '97 season. Unless I'm misunderstanding, my graduating class did not win any titles.

Your class witnessed a state title as freshmen in 1994. Coach K is still not happy about the 3-0 loss to St Xavier in '97 state final.

10 hours ago, thsrocks said:

Your class witnessed a state title as freshmen in 1994. Coach K is still not happy about the 3-0 loss to St Xavier in '97 state final.

I'm still now happy about it either. It was like 3 degrees that day. ?

17 hours ago, NLTanker1 said:

I was class of '98. We lost to X in the state championship 3-0, in the '97 season. Unless I'm misunderstanding, my graduating class did not win any titles.

 

15 hours ago, thsrocks said:

Your class witnessed a state title as freshmen in 1994. Coach K is still not happy about the 3-0 loss to St Xavier in '97 state final.

Me neither. I'll never forget Chuck turning to Mickey after the FG saying, "I think that might be the ballgame." It was 3 degrees at game time with a wind chill of -10 I believe.

21 hours ago, TCR said:

@#RockNation Nice post and I have a question. Coming from Eastern Kentucky my only deep knowledge of the schools like Trinity and St. Xavier come from the 1970's, when Ashland competed against St. Xavier for the 1975 championship and then two years later Greenup County would compete against Trinity for the championship so I know little on it, but is it typical for Trinity every year to play a completely different lineup for offense, defense, and special teams with nobody going both ways? I was curious. Have heard about it in the past but the only two years I know about in particular are the two in the 1970's that were mentioned. I know Highlands did that quite a bit during the Dale Mueller era but wasn't sure if that was typical for Trinity. It is hard, no doubt, to keep up with a team that has different players going each way and it factored into both of the state championships I mentioned in 1975 and 1977, with Ashland and Greenup County very talented but playing guys both ways and St. X. and Trinity also very talented and playing different players each way.

I have never been to a game at Trinity but have driven by the stadium and I'd say that I would echo many at how impressive it is. Hopefully, "never been to a game at Trinity" will change at some point.
 

Would love to have you in for a game! It is truly a special place for so many of us and it is an honor to get to broadcast our games. 

We have had several players play both ways but you are correct that it makes more sense to platoon when you have 100+ young men come out every year.

Some of the greats I know to have played both sides at least somewhat were Mike Pfeiffer '85, Carwell Gardner '86, Will Rueff '00, Wes Weitlauf '08, Erik Senn '06, Sam Robey '08, Rodjay Burns '15 to name a few. @thsrocks

I think it has mostly to do with conditioning given the schedule we play as well as coaching to the degree our staffs try to attain. We have always had a very technical and meticulous approach to coaching and it is very difficult to play at Trinity, let alone start, let alone start and play more than one position. Just my opinion as a former assistant now media guy.

You forgot Andy Murray who started at inside linebacker and running back.  Kid was an absolute beast.  Him, Pfeiffer and Cardwell Gardner all ended up at UK together.  I think Gardner finished his college career at Louisville before a long NFL career with Buffalo.  Those were some really good Trinity teams.

I am so proud of this team and how they finished so strong. I considered this a reload year with so many sophomores on the field. Yet, they played hard and finished on top. The future is very bright for the Rocks.

Congrats players and coaches! Let's get #30!

1 hour ago, Bengal Boy said:

You forgot Andy Murray who started at inside linebacker and running back.  Kid was an absolute beast.  Him, Pfeiffer and Cardwell Gardner all ended up at UK together.  I think Gardner finished his college career at Louisville before a long NFL career with Buffalo.  Those were some really good Trinity teams.

Always heard he was a great back but I never got to see him play. Thanks for the addition.

On 12/8/2024 at 2:48 PM, Oldercoach said:

I was 100% wrong thinking the Rocks passing game would be their eventual downfall.  Soph QB Johnson was outstanding and proved to be consistently on target with even the difficult throws.  Coach Cobb knew what he was doing when he gave Johnson the keys to machine.

I called it in the pre-game thread about Johnson.  You can't look at the stats from this season and try to determine the type of year he had.  He weathered the storm all year, making those same throws, they were just caught in this game.  They put it all together when it mattered.  This will be a fun team to watch for the next 2 years.

Anyone from Ryle know how the young man who was injured is doing?

Hoping for the best.

14 hours ago, EastSideJunkie said:

Anyone from Ryle know how the young man who was injured is doing?

Hoping for the best.

I saw a replay of it and it was gruesome; definitely a broken arm...praying to God he will make a full recovery!!!

On 12/9/2024 at 1:00 PM, #RockNation said:

Would love to have you in for a game! It is truly a special place for so many of us and it is an honor to get to broadcast our games. 

We have had several players play both ways but you are correct that it makes more sense to platoon when you have 100+ young men come out every year.

Some of the greats I know to have played both sides at least somewhat were Mike Pfeiffer '85, Carwell Gardner '86, Will Rueff '00, Wes Weitlauf '08, Erik Senn '06, Sam Robey '08, Rodjay Burns '15 to name a few. @thsrocks

I think it has mostly to do with conditioning given the schedule we play as well as coaching to the degree our staffs try to attain. We have always had a very technical and meticulous approach to coaching and it is very difficult to play at Trinity, let alone start, let alone start and play more than one position. Just my opinion as a former assistant now media guy.

Thank you for the kind words! The coaches, players, fans, and staff take a lot of pride in that special place that they can sure be proud of. 

I knew Trinity had a large team but 100+, wow. That says a lot, and it's something bigger than numbers. Although I come from Eastern Kentucky, just across the river are a few West Virginia Schools that would likely be 6A if they were in Kentucky. Huntington High, Cabell Midland, and Spring Valley are not just large schools but excellent programs that are in contention for a state title every year and I don't think even they that level of turnout. They are as talented and well coached as anybody, but historically I recall them playing their stars both ways most of the time.

It would be extremely difficult to compete with a team that can consistently bring different players out for offense, defense, and special teams. Technical and meticulous sure seems to get it done and that schedule has to provide excellent preparation for a game like this, especially having seen, historically, some of the opponents the Shamrocks have strongly represented Kentucky football against.

Although it's a different sport, it was in 2019 when Ashland competed against the Shamrocks in the state tournament. That was considered a historical team in many eyes given the level of talent they had (They won it all) but what stood out to me more was how disciplined they were. Defensively, they were always where they needed to be. Same way the following year after losing the five starters. Ashland ended up winning that game, but that was such a fundamentally disciplined team on the court that played. I mention that because the times I have seen Trinity in football, the bits and pieces I have seen, it reminds me of that basketball experience. The talent is great no doubt, but it's the discipline that stood out even moreso.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.