Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Red Sox at Reds (6/21 - 6/23)

Featured Replies

1 hour ago, theguru said:

Boston is up 4-1 in the 5th.

And Lance McAlister posted this on FB a couple of days ago:

I grew up in Cincinnati and then came back 27 years ago. I’ve seen a lot of athletes come and go around here. I concluded something long ago, that remains true today: 
This city doesn't seem to do star players well. 
Maybe it’s both the blessing and the curse of the Big Red Machine. That team, those players, set a standard that seems to be the measuring stick for every team and player since. 
Four things don’t seem to play well here: 
Wealth-injury-flair-development.
Big contract seem to create jealousy and resentment. 
Injuries seem to reveal frailty and weakness. 
Playing with style and flair seems to offend more than entertain. 
And heaven help the player that isn’t an instant star.
Our stars tend to be more appreciated outside the city, than inside the city. 
Eric Davis went through this. Ken Griffey Jr. went through this. 
Joey Votto went through this. Joe Burrow is going through this. 
Elly De La Cruz is now going through this. 
The Elly criticism is almost Votto like in the obsessive criticism. Yet, it's not money. Elly makes the MLB minimum salary. That’s weird. 
So many fans seem fixated on what Elly is not in their eyes.
Elly has played a grand total of 172 MLB games. In his first full season, in a game where offense is down across the board, he is performing above league average in all slash line categories: Batting average, on-base percentage, slugging and on-base + slugging. 
But many fans seem consumed with his strikeouts, his errors, his style of play, and when he’s going to be signed by the Yankees or Dodgers.
Despite his struggles and inconsistencies, Elly is 18th in all of baseball in runs scored. He is first in stolen bases. He has more home runs than guys like Freddie Freeman, Mookie Betts, Manny Machado, Vlad Guerrero Jr and Nolan Arenado. 
Does he need to clean things up with the glove? Sure. He’s 22. 
Derek Jeter committed 56 errors when he was 19.
Ozzie Smith committed 25 errors when he was 23. 
Barry Larkin committed 29 errors when he was 24.
Dave Concepcion committed 30 errors when was 26.
Yes, he strikes out. News flash: Everyone strikes out. 103 players struck out over 120 times last season. 36 players struck out over 150 times. 
Nobody seems to mention he’s T16th MLB in walks. Three years ago he walked just 4.76 percent of the time. Last year it was 8.2. This year it’s up to 11.5. The average MLB hitter walks 8.5 percent of the time. 
As for the flair he plays with, what some call ‘hot dog’ I call a joyful enthusiasm that I appreciate. And I don’t care how many chains he wears. 
And finally, Elly can’t even be a free agent until 2030. As far as I know, it’s still only 2024. 
Here is my advice. Here is my plea: Appreciate and be excited by what Elly is. 
Be really excited about what Elly can become.

I didn't know people were pounding on Elly. Are they?

1 minute ago, Voice of Reason said:

I didn't know people were pounding on Elly. Are they?

I guess we would have to call in and talk to Lance about it.  And I am sure there are plenty of unhappy people.  People complain about anything and everything.  

8 minutes ago, theguru said:

People complain about anything and everything.  

Amen to that! 

All I know is that Elly is the type of player that when he comes to the plate and I have the TV on, I'm watching his at-bat.

1 hour ago, Voice of Reason said:

I didn't know people were pounding on Elly. Are they?

He's got some of the best tools I've ever seen.  That said, he has very poor decision making skills at times, and he would be best served to play in the outfield.  He can make some eye-popping plays at shortstop, but he's an error waiting to happen.  

Haven't heard of anyone bashing on De La Cruz.    He seems to be doing fine.   Not the flash in the pan that Aristedes Aquino was.   But some Cincy fans are goofy.   I'm sure there are a few that refuse to step back into GABP because they got rid of Billy Hamilton and Todd Fraizer.

27 minutes ago, Tranquility Base said:

Haven't heard of anyone bashing on De La Cruz.    He seems to be doing fine.   Not the flash in the pan that Aristedes Aquino was.   But some Cincy fans are goofy.   I'm sure there are a few that refuse to step back into GABP because they got rid of Billy Hamilton and Todd Fraizer.

Check out the 4192 Reds page on Facebook.  Half of the people on there bash him regulary.  It's even worse now that Candelaria has started hitting.  They all wanted him released up until the last couple of weeks.  Now they need someone else to bash.  Cincy has some really bad baseball fans.  

2 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

Check out the 4192 Reds page on Facebook.  Half of the people on there bash him regulary.  It's even worse now that Candelaria has started hitting.  They all wanted him released up until the last couple of weeks.  Now they need someone else to bash.  Cincy has some really bad baseball fans.  

A lot of Cincy sports fans just like to complain.    I remember the year the Bengals broke their long playoff drought, first call on talk radio was "Mike Brown won't like this.  He'll have to spend money."   I've always said one day the Bengals will win the Super Bowl and all the talk will be, game ran to late and I'm tired at work.    

Real baseball fans know what's what.   Just block out the chronic complainers.

3 hours ago, Carl Spackler said:

Check out the 4192 Reds page on Facebook.  Half of the people on there bash him regulary.  It's even worse now that Candelaria has started hitting.  They all wanted him released up until the last couple of weeks.  Now they need someone else to bash.  Cincy has some really bad baseball fans.  

Thanks. Had no idea. Another example of why I  am not on facebook.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.