Another Note From the KHSAA Boys Sweet 16

Transy's long-time coach Don Lane was selling copies of his new book, The Lane Way: Family, Faith and Fifty Years in Basketball at a booth set up in the Rupp Arena concourse during the tournament.  I am acquainted with Coach Lane by virtue of the close proximity of my seat to his for the last 20 or so years, but I don't know him at all outside that context and have no business relationship with him.  I bought a copy from the booth and having read significant portions over the last several days I would enthusiastically endorse it to anyone with an interest in coaching/teaching generally or in Kentucky high school basketball.  Most of the book is devoted to his college coaching career, but Lane was a fine high school player at Versailles High School and had head coaching stints at Mt. Sterling and Woodford County before moving into the college ranks.  Once installed at Transy, he "recruited from within Kentucky, mostly . . . If players were looking at Eastern, Western, Morehead, Murray or any of the other state schools, I went after them."  In other words there is plenty in here about Bluegrass preps.  I have read enough portions already to recommend it and I will post a link to a full length review when I have finished reading the book in its entirety.

The Lane Way is available from Butler Books (no affiliation with them either) -- https://www.butlerbooks.com/the-lane-way.html

• Like 1

There was a time when "Transy Camp" was the only major, recognized team and individual camp in Kentucky.  Any player worth his salt attended "Transy Camp."

I suspect that Coach Lane made more money by running that camp for all of those years than he ever did coaching at Transy.

• Like 2

I attended his camp in the summer of 1980 and 1981 it was a good camp. I will always remember they used the old Transy gym and Sayre neither of which had air conditioning and they also used the gym at Boardway Christian Church which had air conditioning you always wanted to play there.

I went to Don Layne’s basketball camp summer going into my 7th and 8th grade years. It was an awesome time. Got to sleep in the dorms. It was also there that I realized I was never going to make my freshman team. 

• Haha 2

My high school coach, Ron Whitson, played at Transy and later served as Coach Lane’s assistant.  He forgot more about defense than a lot of today’s coaches know…. 

11 hours ago, Mustang said:

There was a time when "Transy Camp" was the only major, recognized team and individual camp in Kentucky.  Any player worth his salt attended "Transy Camp."

I suspect that Coach Lane made more money by running that camp for all of those years than he ever did coaching at Transy.

I went to a Transy game this season and during a media timeout the PA man announced the camp for this summer. He then said it had been around for however-many years and asked anyone in the audience who had ever attended the camp to stand up. I'd say over half the gym stood up!

• Like 1

He has a whole chapter just about the camp.  I attended it in 1978 or 1979, maybe both.  We went to WKU's camp in 1980, and maybe 1979 too.  Three camps total, two at Transy and one at Western or vice versa.  Seems like something I should remember better . . .

23 hours ago, 16thBBall Fan said:

I attended his camp in the summer of 1980 and 1981 it was a good camp. I will always remember they used the old Transy gym and Sayre neither of which had air conditioning and they also used the gym at Boardway Christian Church which had air conditioning you always wanted to play there.

No gym was hotter than the Rec Center. 

And the dorms didn't have AC either.