Open Job: West Jessamine

7 minutes ago, catfan09 said:

I thought you were referring to Dunbar as being an applicant when I first saw this. 

The school in Lexington where Damon Kelly took over as AD.  My apologies.

On 3/7/2024 at 12:29 PM, LethalPG said:

The school in Lexington where Damon Kelly took over as AD.  My apologies.

Have you heard any candidates for the job?  Historically West puts out some strong teams in the 12th.

Edited by theguru

West hasn’t had the same level of talent the last several years. They used to always have some transfers, mostly out of Lexington, and haven’t gotten those for a while. Or if they have, they haven’t played a starting role. 

I would guess that they’re one of the largest schools in the region. Anyone know?

37 minutes ago, QueenoftheSouth said:

West hasn’t had the same level of talent the last several years. They used to always have some transfers, mostly out of Lexington, and haven’t gotten those for a while. Or if they have, they haven’t played a starting role. 

I would guess that they’re one of the largest schools in the region. Anyone know?

1355 kids in the building per the 2023-24 data from the KHSAA, the largest in the 12th Region. East Jessamine has 1222 kids while Southwestern and Pulaski County are both hovering around 1200 kids.

https://khsaa.org/reports/enrollments/20232024schoolenrollmenttotalsbyenroll.pdf

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, QueenoftheSouth said:

Well that changes next year. They have a transfer student who stands at about 6”10. 

Could take a swing @ Coach Young.  His wife has family in the area.  It would be tough to get him to leave Somerset I would think, but they have the shortest coaching staff in the region.  Only 1 assistant coach.

2 hours ago, LethalPG said:

Could take a swing @ Coach Young.  His wife has family in the area.  It would be tough to get him to leave Somerset I would think, but they have the shortest coaching staff in the region.  Only 1 assistant coach.

Interesting.. family in the area could play a role.  So if offered do you think Young would be interested??

In terms of perception, is West Jess a better job than Somerset yearly?

7 minutes ago, catfan09 said:

Interesting.. family in the area could play a role.  So if offered do you think Young would be interested??

Sounds like there’s a good chance West may be out of the 12th in the upcoming realignment. That could make things much harder for them to be in the mix each year.

Also, what I’ve observed about West over the years is that they don’t seem to have much fan/community support. Even in their best years. I think the reason is that they are more of a bedroom community for Lexington. Just a very different feel than the communities from Mercer County and south, including the Pulaski schools. I obviously can’t speak for Coach Young but I would think it would be a factor for a lot of coaches.

• Thanks 1

One factor that might come into play for Coach Young is that Somerset is going to be a contender for the Class A state tournament most years.  His main competition will be Danville and DCA.  Win the Class A regional and you've got at least some measure of success whether you win the 12th region or not.  He wouldn't have that at West Jessamine.  

3 minutes ago, QueenoftheSouth said:

Sounds like there’s a good chance West may be out of the 12th in the upcoming realignment. That could make things much harder for them to be in the mix each year.

Also, what I’ve observed about West over the years is that they don’t seem to have much fan/community support. Even in their best years. I think the reason is that they are more of a bedroom community for Lexington. Just a very different feel than the communities from Mercer County and south, including the Pulaski schools. I obviously can’t speak for Coach Young but I would think it would be a factor for a lot of coaches.

The realignment would definitely play a factor. But if they stay in the 12th, I think it would definitely be something Young would want to listen to. A much bigger talent pool to pick from. Also, historically it is a much easier district as well. Family ties, a chance to be in the region tournament every year, and a bigger talent pool. 

Regardless if he ends up the coach there or not, I think we will hear his name connected to any opening in the 12th. Like I said in a previous post, if you’re an AD in the 12th he would have to be on your short list. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 12th Region Fan said:

The realignment would definitely play a factor. But if they stay in the 12th, I think it would definitely be something Young would want to listen to. A much bigger talent pool to pick from. Also, historically it is a much easier district as well. Family ties, a chance to be in the region tournament every year, and a bigger talent pool. 

Regardless if he ends up the coach there or not, I think we will hear his name connected to any opening in the 12th. Like I said in a previous post, if you’re an AD in the 12th he would have to be on your short list. 

Oh, I think he should listen for sure. I was just mentioning some of the downside that I see with the West job.

I think there’s a decent chance that there will others that come open over the next month or two. And I too would expect that he’d be a very attractive candidate for any AD that has an opening.

25 minutes ago, catfan09 said:

He has a toddler @ home, and wife works in that area.  I don't think it's necessarily a better job. 

• Like 1

I commented in the East Jess thread that they should calling Ryan Young today. I’ll say the same in here. I would be gauging his interest because I feel like he would be a great hire. 

With that said, maybe he has zero interest in leaving Somerset. But I think with family not in the area, he would definitely listen to offers.