Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

McNicholas (OH) 61 Covington Catholic 58

Featured Replies

? | Cincinnati | Final at McNicholas via their livestream in the "Queen City Holiday Classic."

Carson Young drains a three for the Rockets at the buzzer. 

The Rockets earned that win. The Colonels earned that loss.

McNicholas: 21-14-16-10 • 61 

Cov Cath:.    12-15-15-16 • 58 

Up next ~ 

McNich (4-3): Wednesday in Pensacola to play Mars, PA.

Cov Cath (7-3): Thursday at "The Battle at the Villages" vs. Florida State University HS.

Seemed like CovCath never found a rotation they were completely comfortable with. The Rockets played well.

I thought the coaches were overly-focused on officiating early, the technical and resulting free throws gave McNick momentum they carried the rest of the game. A timeout when tied end of regulation, to emphasize taking the last shot, could have resulted in overtime or win. Great energy and effort by both teams, well worth the price of admission.

  • Author
20 hours ago, Ralph Roberts said:

I thought the coaches were overly-focused on officiating early, the technical and resulting free throws gave McNick momentum they carried the rest of the game. A timeout when tied end of regulation, to emphasize taking the last shot, could have resulted in overtime or win. Great energy and effort by both teams, well worth the price of admission.

That was a good, intense game, and well played by the Rockets. And for once, I don't care how the stat sheet reads.

Yeah, that was a double technical near the end of Q2 when Cov Cath was down 27-25. 

I'm maybe as big a follower of the Colonels as anyone on this board, and I've been watching the boys from Park Hills for over a half century. I'm all for confidence and a bit of swagger. I don't like what I saw last night - bad attitudes and poor leadership, hence my "earned that loss" comment. 

Cov Cath has some things to work out on multiple fronts. They've got some vulnerabilities that good teams are going to exploit. I'm not optimistic those are going to get fixed.

I like the "earned that loss" comment, and agree.  But is there something going on in the locker room making the kids upset?  Maybe its the double standard that exists on the team?  Or maybe players don't trust each other?  Ruthsatz might need to dial down the daddy ball and play kids that have the hot hand.  There is no shame in playing a match up type game, there are plenty of boys on that bench that can jump up and give you great minutes when you've got a player struggling.  

Agree with the earned loss comment. An assistant coach should never earn a "T".  Plus when you shoot 59% from free throw line....well don't expect to win many tight games.

I think I’m gonna trust the 2 time state champion and the 9th region most winningest coach of all time. I know the loss is frustrating to some, but let’s not get too concerned with an early season loss that doesn’t mean anything. Freddy and Scott always have it figured it come tournament time.

The daddy ball comments are getting so old already. The best players will play regardless and always have!

37 minutes ago, GoBucks97 said:

The daddy ball comments are getting so old already. The best players will play regardless and always have!

If there is anyone who has earned their way past daddy ball comments, it is Ruthsatz. 

Here's what needs to happen. When someone makes the daddy ball comment, somebody has to push back. Parents will always think their child is better and will knock others any chance they get to promote their own. They see the good and none of the bad in their own, and vice versa on others. The parents need to hear honest feedback to hopefully get them to self check and at least stop being a cancer.

16 hours ago, GoBucks97 said:

I think I’m gonna trust the 2 time state champion and the 9th region most winningest coach of all time. I know the loss is frustrating to some, but let’s not get too concerned with an early season loss that doesn’t mean anything. Freddy and Scott always have it figured it come tournament time.

I am not going to look numbers up, and I think they have good coaches, does he really have more wins in Northern Ky than Ken Shields, Reynolds Flynn, Mote Hills to mention a few, just curious.

14 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

If there is anyone who has earned their way past daddy ball comments, it is Ruthsatz. 

Here's what needs to happen. When someone makes the daddy ball comment, somebody has to push back. Parents will always think their child is better and will knock others any chance they get to promote their own. They see the good and none of the bad in their own, and vice versa on others. The parents need to hear honest feedback to hopefully get them to self check and at least stop being a cancer.

Interesting to call someone a "cancer" when you know nothing about them.  Everyone in an open forum is entitled to their own opinion, you can agree or disagree.  There is no self promotion here, I have no dog in the fight, just observing and watching basketball like everyone else.  You can see it your way, I can see it mine.     

22 minutes ago, AhhhhhUC said:

Interesting to call someone a "cancer" when you know nothing about them.  Everyone in an open forum is entitled to their own opinion, you can agree or disagree.  There is no self promotion here, I have no dog in the fight, just observing and watching basketball like everyone else.  You can see it your way, I can see it mine.     

I will say I don't think that was directed at you.  I read it as an in general comment that deals with parents who do not see fault in their own kids or who look at things and think "My kid is better than that."  Which by the way is normal for parents to feel.  As far as the "daddy ball" comments I think those are completely unfairly directed at almost all coaches that coach their kids which I have had the pleasure of doing.  Trust me winning comes above all else including the parent/child playing time issue.

1 hour ago, allsport71 said:

I am not going to look numbers up, and I think they have good coaches, does he really have more wins in Northern Ky than Ken Shields, Reynolds Flynn, Mote Hills to mention a few, just curious.

I believe he is top 5 currently but getting close to first won’t be hard. And he is still young! I’d have to go back and look at the thread that was on here when he became CCH all time leader.

2 hours ago, GoBucks97 said:

The daddy ball comments are getting so old already. The best players will play regardless and always have!

Agreed! If this is the daddy ball reaction now, people may lose their minds if/when the youngest starts as a freshman. He’s a player.

A few weeks ago, questioning Nolan’s playing time could be warranted.  However, if folks take off their vested interests glasses, Nolan has played really really well (with the exception of last night)!  My guess is he works harder than everyone else on that roster (he has to as he doesn’t have the ability of his older brothers) and his in game performance has not allowed anyone on the bench to steal his minutes.  That’s reality and folks that don’t see that and want to complain likely have a dog in the fight or a long time grudge with the staff.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.