Ludlow 28 Newport 6

WSL-BIRDS

Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t this the first time that Ludlow has advanced past the first round of the playoffs since the year they beat Heath for the state championship in 1975? I heard this from someone I know quite a while back. If so, that’s pretty wild to think about and even a better story about their advancement to the quarterfinals 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, hrcarrier said:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t this the first time that Ludlow has advanced past the first round of the playoffs since the year they beat Heath for the state championship in 1975? I heard this from someone I know quite a while back. If so, that’s pretty wild to think about and even a better story about their advancement to the quarterfinals 

That is not correct. Ludlow has won a first round game a few times since 1975. However, this is the first time they have won two playoff games in a season since 1975. 

Coach McMillen is doing a great job down there at Ludlow! I truly believe they have a great shot next week against KCD. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, futurecoach said:

That is not correct. Ludlow has won a first round game a few times since 1975. However, this is the first time they have won two playoff games in a season since 1975. 

Coach McMillen is doing a great job down there at Ludlow! I truly believe they have a great shot next week against KCD. 

Thank you, wasn’t for sure if what I heard was what you said. Either way, that’s awesome for Ludlow. And I agree with you, wouldn’t be surprised at all if they beat KCD, especially as Ludlow has played as the latter part of the season went on.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, futurecoach said:

Correct. Ludlow won first round games in 1997 (Paintsville), 1999 (Nicholas County), 2008 (Eminence), 2011 (Eminence), 2018 (Louisville Holy Cross), 2019 (Bellevue), 2020 (Dayton), and this year. However, since the KHSAA moved to 32 teams making the playoffs in 1991, Ludlow had never won a "second round" game until this season. When they won the championship in 1975, only eight teams made the playoffs. Their first round win was against Raceland. The second win came against Elkhorn City but would be considered the state semifinals. Then they beat Heath to claim the state championship.

• Like 3