Notre Dame 2 Highlands 1 (9th Region Semifinals)

I know this one had to sting a little Frank. The buildup was epic.

You've been such a positive force of nature promoting all the girls (and boys) teams and players for quite a while now. I'm grateful for that. 

If I could fly into the Fort, I'd buy you a cold one ~ Cheers! 🦉

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I just have to say that was a really fun environment last night.  Student sections were very well represented and the place was packed.  In regards to the game, NDA deserves a lot of coaching credit for their commitment to hitting Highlands on the counter in the second half.   They bottled up the middle and when they had a chance to break, they were bombing forward.  It was terrifying.  Also stood out how many more subs NDA ran on and off throughout the game and it just seemed like all of that came together with less than a minute left.  

Well.....This is not how I expected to feel today.  I realized last night was going to be a BATTLE.  This is and has been the BIGGEST NKY rivalry since forever!  Highlands/NDA its up there with UK v Duke, Bengals v Steelers, Highlands v Cov Cath.....  Wins against these storied programs feel so much better than wins against other teams.  BUT the reverse is so TRUE, losses against these teams are hard to recover from since you are amped up so much for this type of game, you realize the atmosphere and energy at the games are going to be on steroids.  Like @observerbynature stated the electricity at the soccer complex was to a whole new level that I have never seen for a soccer game in all my years.  Let me repeat that for the people in the back.  The electricity last night for a HIGH SCHOOL GIRLS GAME was awesome.  Who would have thought 20 years ago that a High School girls soccer game would create basically a standing room only crowd watching a girls game.  I credit the love of soccer in this area, the girls that have taken on the sport and really dived into it, the coaches who have fallen in love with coaching it, and the parents who have allowed these girls to dream big by driving all over the country to play this game, to train all year around.  The money and time spent in cars, hotels, etc.  All of that was worth it based on what I saw last night.  We saw 2 teams, approx 30+ players put forth everything they have learned in their life to produce such a quality game of soccer.  A beautiful game of soccer.  I am sooooo very proud of all of you, no matter what jersey you wore last night.  You did good young ladies, you did good.  There were so many young girls (middle school girls, elementary girls) that were watching in AWE of your athleticism last night.  O my goodness I am in tears writing this.  I speak from the heart!  

3 years ago when I joined BGP I noticed there was a potential need for someone to champion these girls in KY High School soccer.  I took that challenge, I thank @thegurufor allowing us to have a channel to showcase these young awesome ladies.  I realize sometimes I showcase some sarcasm and humor and if I ever rubbed someone the wrong way or went to far on some of my posts I apologize.  

@Runcible Owl and @The Double Deuce I want to say you have been great colleagues on BGP throughout my journey.  

There were 13 girls out there having the honor and privilege of wearing the H one last time last night.  Some of them will wear another jersey next year in college some will not.  They have been awesome to watch grow up, mature, and develop into awesome young women.  They should be very proud of what they have accomplished throughout their career in the storied program of Highlands High School girls soccer.  

To NDA you have been a tough program to go toe to toe in these last several years.  Good luck in the next few weeks, it will be fun to watch how successful you will be.  Represent the 9th Region with Pride and Dignity.

I love you all!

Frank

Take A Bow GIFs | Tenor

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

You're one of a kind, @FrankNicodemus, that was beautifully written.

I look forward to you finding fault with my NKY Girls Hoops coverage as early as next week!  😎 

What you do and have done to provide coverage of Highlands and all of girls (and boys) soccer is and has been terrific.  These young people deserve more people trumpeting them and highlighting their efforts and less of the other nonsense.  Even through your bird-brain 😉, I mean Bird-centric lens, you've always been fair, balanced, fun, and a huge part of BGP.  Here's to many more years of chopping it up with you on here.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, FrankNicodemus said:

Well.....This is not how I expected to feel today.  I realized last night was going to be a BATTLE.  This is and has been the BIGGEST NKY rivalry since forever!  Highlands/NDA its up there with UK v Duke, Bengals v Steelers, Highlands v Cov Cath.....  Wins against these storied programs feel so much better than wins against other teams.  BUT the reverse is so TRUE, losses against these teams are hard to recover from since you are amped up so much for this type of game, you realize the atmosphere and energy at the games are going to be on steroids.  Like @observerbynature stated the electricity at the soccer complex was to a whole new level that I have never seen for a soccer game in all my years.  Let me repeat that for the people in the back.  The electricity last night for a HIGH SCHOOL GIRLS GAME was awesome.  Who would have thought 20 years ago that a High School girls soccer game would create basically a standing room only crowd watching a girls game.  I credit the love of soccer in this area, the girls that have taken on the sport and really dived into it, the coaches who have fallen in love with coaching it, and the parents who have allowed these girls to dream big by driving all over the country to play this game, to train all year around.  The money and time spent in cars, hotels, etc.  All of that was worth it based on what I saw last night.  We saw 2 teams, approx 30+ players put forth everything they have learned in their life to produce such a quality game of soccer.  A beautiful game of soccer.  I am sooooo very proud of all of you, no matter what jersey you wore last night.  You did good young ladies, you did good.  There were so many young girls (middle school girls, elementary girls) that were watching in AWE of your athleticism last night.  O my goodness I am in tears writing this.  I speak from the heart!  

3 years ago when I joined BGP I noticed there was a potential need for someone to champion these girls in KY High School soccer.  I took that challenge, I thank @thegurufor allowing us to have a channel to showcase these young awesome ladies.  I realize sometimes I showcase some sarcasm and humor and if I ever rubbed someone the wrong way or went to far on some of my posts I apologize.  

@Runcible Owl and @The Double Deuce I want to say you have been great colleagues on BGP throughout my journey.  

There were 13 girls out there having the honor and privilege of wearing the H one last time last night.  Some of them will wear another jersey next year in college some will not.  They have been awesome to watch grow up, mature, and develop into awesome young women.  They should be very proud of what they have accomplished throughout their career in the storied program of Highlands High School girls soccer.  

To NDA you have been a tough program to go toe to toe in these last several years.  Good luck in the next few weeks, it will be fun to watch how successful you will be.  Represent the 9th Region with Pride and Dignity.

I love you all!

Frank

Take A Bow GIFs | Tenor

I don’t know that it could be stated any better! What a great game. Honestly, as a Panda fan I had doubts coming into the game and major concern when the Birds took the lead, but the Pandas kept at it. The game was so well played, Highlands has so much skill top to bottom. I only know a handful of highlands players, the ones I know are such great young ladies! Congrats to all of their seniors on a great season and great careers. 

After a game three weeks ago with 6 yellows and a red, I would love to know the stats on fouls in this game, I feel like neither team had more than 5, just a very well played game. 

I feel for you @FrankNicodemus, it is a lot like last season in reverse, when the Panda faithful always felt like it was our game to win, until we didn’t. 

Now the Pandas have to stay focused and pay this win off!

• Like 2

So happy for the girls and this win! After the craziness and letting Suli go last year, I honestly was worried about how that hanging over them would effect the season.

Brian Woeste has been a great fit and has coached several of these girls over the years. Fun to watch!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1