North Oldham at Franklin County Predictions/Updates

TRPride

North Oldham at Franklin County Predictions/ Updates  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Franklin Co. Flyers
    • North Oldham Mustangs

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/29/2023 at 11:15 PM

Big time matchup in District play for the #10 North Oldham on the road to #6 Franklin Co., this was an exciting game last year and the build up for this one is a little bit different.

Franklin Co. has owned the overall series between the two with 9-0 record heading into this Friday's matchup. Coach Eddie James has established a program and has made several deep runs in the playoffs with Final 4 appearances and state final appearance as well. Flyers coaching staff continues to build upon the foundation of their program each year, getting closer to a reunion in Lexington. Coach James and his staff continue their strong campaign at Franklin Co. by coming into this matchup 5-0.  Their high-flying offense and stout defense have proven too tough for their opponents, with big wins against 6A Bryan Station and Great Crossing well as defense battle with 5A North Laurel. Franklin Co. continued their district-play dominance with a 91-7 scoreboard against District Opponents Spencer Co. and Shelby Co., with an infusion of youth and veterans this well put together team looking for another deep run in the playoffs. Newly realigned district, the District Title is within reach.

North Oldham underwent a coaching change this off-season in bringing in Brock Roberts to turn the tide of the program. Coach Roberts came in and has immediately made an impact on both the program and community, coming in with valuable experience from his first run as a Head Coach as well as from his mentor Coach Jerry Lucas. Coach Roberts and his staff have made a splash at the start of the season coming into this game 4-2 with a big win over 6A Fern Creek and another solid showing against an improved 4A DeSales. The Mustangs did drop two games in an injury plagued game vs Tates Creek and tough showing in the North vs South game were Mustangs battled hard but came up short to a well-coached South Oldham. District play the Mustangs unveil their high-flying offense with healthy roster and strong showings vs both Henry Co. and Shelby Co., showcasing the strength of their offense and defense in each game. The North Oldham roster is built on a strong group of veterans on both sides of the ball and a newfound energy around this program. Coach Roberts and the Mustangs look to continue building upon the legacies established under the Billy Martin era in his tenure at North.

Last year's game was a tight one until the 4th quarter. Dominant rushing attack by the Flyers and young new faces of the Mustang air attack come alive in last year's contest. Hard fought contest in Goshen, left the Flyers winning 38-20. Fast forward to 2023 and the Mustang Air Attack is alive with those some of those same faces, but Franklin Co. offense is still rolling with a strong run game and big play ability to move the ball around. This game should be a good one looking at the projections for the week.

Key Players:

Mustangs: 

• Jace Bullock - 112/187 1366 yds 17 TDs
  • Gray Schimittel - 42 Catches 442 yds 5 TDs
  • Luke Tompkins - 10 Catches 194 yds 3 TDs
  • Mack Pyle - 29 Catches 289 yds 3 TDs, 46 Tackles 5 TFL
  • Noah Leber 65 Carries 244 yds 2 TDs 14 Catches 142 Yds 3 TDs
  • Dawson Nagle - 14 Catches 280 yds 3 TDs
  • Zach Mortenson - 34 Tackles 2 Sacks
  • Jack Sims - 27 Tackles 2 INTs
  • Jackson Graham - 17 Tackles 2 Sacks 
  • North OLine 
  • North Box Defense

Flyers:

• Duri Trahan - 32/49 391 2 TDs
  • Christian Moore - 74 Carries 409 yds. 9 TDs
  • Jayquan Crawford - 32 Carries 109 yds. 1 TD
  • Gavin Hurst - 12 Catches 164 yds. 2 INT
  • Jaizon Collins - 4 Catches 137 yds 1 TD
  • Jacob Taylor - 16 Catches 134 yds 1 TD
  • Shalom Moore - 25 Tackles 1 INT
  • Jeremy Walters - 49 Tackles 2 Sacks
  • Luke Toothaker - 5 Sacks 23 Tackles
  • FC OLine
  • FC Secondary

This game could a defensive grudge match or high scoring affair. Either way exciting week to travel down to Frankfort and see this contest.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CoachOnTheRun said:

I have seen both of these teams play this year.  I am going with North in a close one.  Both Defensive fronts are strong points but I think the Bullock/GS connection will give the FC secondary a tough time.  

NO-35

FC-20

So, is the FC secondary not as good as Henry's seeing that many points in your prediction. 

• theguru changed the title to North Oldham at Franklin County Predictions/Updates
3 hours ago, FLYGUY said:

Expand on your comments. In what areas do the teams stack up well or not well.

I think both NO and FC have great DLs.  DEs Gavin Clark (NO) and Jon Griffin (FC) are both outstanding.  I would easily rank them #1 (Griffin) and #2 (Clark) DEs in 4A.  I think Trahan moves well in the pocket but I don't think he sees the field as well as Bullock when working the pocket nor does he look as comfortable throwing under pressure. FC has a big OL but I don't think they move all that great.  NO has a smaller OL but when your QB has almost a 2.5 second release on just about every throw, you just have to get a piece of the guy. Both teams have big backs in the backfield and I think Moore (FC) is a hell of a player and is easily D1 material.  I like Delano Collins (FC) in the secondary but I don't think he covers Schmittell.  I know the score last year 38-20 FC on the road but neither of these teams are the same as last year obviously.  This is a home game for FC so I will change my score prediction but I still lean in the favor of NO.

North-24

FC-20

FC is not as talented as years past. They do not have any stars... They have a lot of good football players though. I noticed when I watched them the play a ton of kids and they get after you. North is changing and won't be an easy out. Sounds like we for sure aren't as good at them at qb, WR, DB, OL. So I will be anxious to see if Coach James and company can overcome the disparity in those areas. 

FC's defense earns them the nod from me. I think they win by multiple scores over a game NO. I caught some of the Mustangs last week versus Henry County and liked what I saw, but James and his program have a huge edge in big game experience. It's hard to overcome that disadvantage on the first try.

I think defense and the more established pedigree and "process" of the Flyers gets it done.

• Like 1