Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

NFL approves 3rd QB exemption

Featured Replies

According to Tom Pelissero

 

NFL owners approved the bylaw proposal allowing teams to dress a third QB without using an active roster spot, I’m told. A no-brainer to bring it back in the aftermath of the San Francisco playoff game

Totally makes sense. 

This should have always been the case, glad to see the NFL making improvements like this.

Is Emergency QB the new best job in the NFL. League minimum is $750K. I'm not sure what this technically non-roster spot will get paid, but I'm sure it will provide a comfortable living for a guy they may only get hit for real in a preseason game or two a year.

11 minutes ago, Jumper_Dad said:

Is Emergency QB the new best job in the NFL. League minimum is $750K. I'm not sure what this technically non-roster spot will get paid, but I'm sure it will provide a comfortable living for a guy they may only get hit for real in a preseason game or two a year.

I was wondering what the "exemption" does to the pay too. 

Totally cool with the decision.

And to be clear, teams could always dress three QBs. That is a team's choice to go in with just a singular backup. This just allows said QB to not count against the 57-man roster.

1 hour ago, theguru said:

I was wondering what the "exemption" does to the pay too. 

I tried to find info on pay structure for the emergency QB but nothing is out that I could find.

3 hours ago, bugatti said:

Totally cool with the decision.

And to be clear, teams could always dress three QBs. That is a team's choice to go in with just a singular backup. This just allows said QB to not count against the 57-man roster.

Is it the main roster they do or don't count against or the game day active roster?

On 5/22/2023 at 8:15 PM, theguru said:

Is it the main roster they do or don't count against or the game day active roster?

I believe they just don't count against the active game day roster. And they can't be used unless the two active QB's get hurt, and once they enter, the first two can't return. 

As Bugatti said, teams have always been allowed to carry 3 QB's on the game day roster. They just chose not to, as teams felt it was more important to carry an extra lineman or DB who was more likely to be needed in a game. I think it's a good decision, I just don't expect it to come into play very often. If the issue hadn't popped up in a playoff game, it might never have been discussed. Teams have been configuring their rosters with just 2 qb's for a dozen years and it's never been an issue.

1 hour ago, rjs4470 said:

I believe they just don't count against the active game day roster. And they can't be used unless the two active QB's get hurt, and once they enter, the first two can't return. 

As Bugatti said, teams have always been allowed to carry 3 QB's on the game day roster. They just chose not to, as teams felt it was more important to carry an extra lineman or DB who was more likely to be needed in a game. I think it's a good decision, I just don't expect it to come into play very often. If the issue hadn't popped up in a playoff game, it might never have been discussed. Teams have been configuring their rosters with just 2 qb's for a dozen years and it's never been an issue.

I agree with all that I was just curious about what the 3rd QB would make now being active vs. what the 3rd QB has made in the past not being active. 

10 minutes ago, theguru said:

I agree with all that I was just curious about what the 3rd QB would make now being active vs. what the 3rd QB has made in the past not being active. 

I'm thinking since he's on the roster, and dressing for games, he'll probably make the league minimum. As someone else mentioned, there aren't many better jobs than being a 3rd string NFL QB.

On 5/22/2023 at 8:15 PM, theguru said:

Is it the main roster they do or don't count against or the game day active roster?

Just saw today they have to be on the 53 man roster and can not be a practice squad guy.

  • Author
8 hours ago, Jumper_Dad said:

Just saw today they have to be on the 53 man roster and can not be a practice squad guy.

That's not how it reads if I'm not mistaken. Of course it was written by lawyers and I ain't one.  Seems you can field an emergency QB without adding to the 53 but he can only be activated by the first 2 exiting through disqualification or injury (ruled out) and not for poor performance.  Teams that dress 3 on their 53 man roster don't have those caveats and the 3rd can enter under any circumstances, but are not allowed another QB with the emergency designation apart from the gameday 53.

 

I can't imagine any teams dressing 3 on their gameday roster and taking up a spot for an extra position player with this new rule.

1 hour ago, spindoc said:

That's not how it reads if I'm not mistaken. Of course it was written by lawyers and I ain't one.  Seems you can field an emergency QB without adding to the 53 but he can only be activated by the first 2 exiting through disqualification or injury (ruled out) and not for poor performance.  Teams that dress 3 on their 53 man roster don't have those caveats and the 3rd can enter under any circumstances, but are not allowed another QB with the emergency designation apart from the gameday 53.

 

I can't imagine any teams dressing 3 on their gameday roster and taking up a spot for an extra position player with this new rule.

Only 48 of 53 dress on game day, this QB I think would be the 49th in uniform on game day.

  • Author

 

18 minutes ago, Jumper_Dad said:

Only 48 of 53 dress on game day, this QB I think would be the 49th in uniform on game day.

Yes.  I should have clarified.  

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.